Author Topic: foods from the past.  (Read 1576 times)

Alfred

foods from the past.
« on: Mar 15, 2019, 11:22:43 AM »
with all the convenience foods available on the market do people still cook and eat   for example boiled beef and carrots, can you also think of like wise foods that were once popular and now virtually extinct,
or am i wrong. your turn,

Raven

Re: foods from the past.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2019, 11:35:30 AM »
I cook, I mostly use the Slow Cooker. I do all sorts in there but I can't think of any meals that are no longer used here. I still make stuff my Gran used to cook for us back in the 50s.. :)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2019, 12:50:39 PM »
I have always thought that boiling beef was a revolting way of treating one of the finest meats available. Roast, grilled, fried, according to cut and taste - beautiful. Boiled - YUK!!!!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

crabbyob

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2019, 12:54:33 PM »
and the carrot didnt fare much better...lol..
i have no doubts you can still get tripe
but i havent seen it in years
back in october i saw some pigs trotters in Morrisons
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

fortyone

« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2019, 01:37:59 PM »
My gran was big on suet puddings. Spotted dick, jam roly poly, and the like. You can get either as eat out sweets but I doubt many would cook them regularly these days.

Some beef would be tough as old boots if roasted. I imagine it was those cheaper cuts that were used for boiled beef n' carrots which I don't think I've ever had. Is it much different from brisket done in a slow cooker?

minniemouse

« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2019, 02:18:48 PM »
Never tried them myself but didn't people used to eat brains (on toast) lol.  Can you imagine asking for brains in a supermarket today?
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

fortyone

« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2019, 02:41:30 PM »
That reminded me. Half a pigs head boiled up. Brawn and other stuff made from it. I never touched any of it.

Scrumpy

« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2019, 06:30:42 PM »
Never tried them myself but didn't people used to eat brains (on toast) lol.  Can you imagine asking for brains in a supermarket today?

There are no brains in our Co-op.. Could be the in-breeding.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Scrumpy

« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2019, 06:33:53 PM »
I love suet pudding.. My mum used to make bacon pudding.. I could eat it now...  I miss it.. I suppose I could knock one up but I would be the only one in the family to eat it.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

fortyone

« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2019, 07:54:11 PM »
Bacon puddings were not on my grans list but I have eaten one somewhere and from memory it was excellent.

Children seem averse to any offal. I like liver and bacon but the grandchildren would never touch it. Easy to get wrong of course - the path between slimy and shoe leather is not a wide one.

prestbury

« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2019, 04:52:04 PM »
There are a couple of meals from the past that we still do occasionally. Pea and Ham soup using a proper ham hock from the butchers. Roasted or boiled Ox Heart, or diced and into a casserole. Bacon ribs and cabbage.

The problem with some of the meals is that supermarkets do not tend to stock the type of meat (offal) that is used. Ham hock, bacon ribs and ox heart usually from the local butchers or one of the many farm shops in the area.

I have noticed the way that breast of lamb has become expensive, it always used to be a cheap cut for roasting. Pigs cheeks are another delicacy which has become popular (i.e. pricey)

stellamaris

« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2019, 05:19:03 PM »
Breast of Lamb - I remember that.  It was a regular mid-week dinner for us.  Very fatty but quite nice.  Sometimes it was loin of lamb which was delicious.  We must have had a bit more money floating around on loin weeks.  I don't cook either, because the few meat eaters around me are not keen on lamb, so I would have to eat it all myself with a pot of mint sauce.  Yum Yum, but unfortunately No No.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Diasi

« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2019, 05:21:39 PM »
Breast of Lamb - I remember that.  It was a regular mid-week dinner for us.  Very fatty but quite nice. Sometimes it was loin of lamb which was delicious.  We must have had a bit more money floating around on loin weeks.  I don't cook either, because the few meat eaters around me are not keen on lamb, so I would have to eat it all myself with a pot of mint sauce.  Yum Yum, but unfortunately No No.

I've never liked lamb but my wife does & it ain't half expensive.

Of course lamb was quite cheap before we joined the EEC / EU & we bought it directly from New Zealand on our own trading terms.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Flying bomb

« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2019, 06:47:07 AM »

Scrag end of mutton
Dripping sandwiches
Tripe and onions
Fried kidneys
Arrowroot biscuits
Jellied eels
If the Buck stops here how can the Doe go all the way ?

Albert.

GrannyMac

« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2019, 06:56:26 AM »
My mother would cook tripe for her and my dad, but I never liked it. We still have beef or lamb casseroles, cottage pie, homemade soup, those were the foods I was brought up on.  I'm not nostalgic for dripping, or liver, or mutton. 😝
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais