Author Topic: Handwriting  (Read 849 times)

Alex22

Re: Handwriting
« Reply #15 on: Mar 22, 2019, 11:43:42 AM »
I'd forgotten you had that. I hand my left hand fixed some years ago but my right little finger is well down now. I did get an appointment last year but the GP practice cоcked up the paperwork and the appointment got cancelled. By the time it was sorted it would have put treatment into the summer. As I've only got so many of those left and the other hand stopped me driving for a couple of months I just backed out.

Do you plan on getting it fixed?
No, I'm a wimp.   I'm convinced Carpel Tunnel operations have given me more problems with DC and trigger finger, so I just put up with it now.   

zoony

« Reply #16 on: Mar 22, 2019, 11:59:04 AM »
As an aside has anybody else noticed that virtually all children's cartoon characters have only three fingers?

Yes, though in The Simpsons a 'God' character appears now and again  who has four and a thumb.
" There ain't no Devil, it's jus' God when he's drunk.."

Tom Waites

xetog

« Reply #17 on: Apr 01, 2019, 12:01:16 PM »

I used to have calligraphy as a hobby and got asked to do all sort of stuff for charities etc but although I still have my pens I would no longer have the confidence that I could produce a document without error and having to start all over again.  I trained as a draughtsman and can still do the precise block letters and numbers very well, but handwriting?  Even my signature has gone to pot. I have never stopped drawing but I am finding accurate shading more difficult and I have renewed my interest in painting.  As an aside, someone gave me a set of POSCA pens quite a while ago.  I wasn't really interested, but used them for the first time a recently.  So easy to use and such vibrant colours!  I have got 8 and the do 110 colours/shades/thicknesses.  I would like them all, but at a single cost of 3.50 each it is likely to remain a pipe dream  ;D .

Mike.X
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2019, 08:32:20 PM by xetog »
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

HerefordAnn

« Reply #18 on: Apr 01, 2019, 07:15:41 PM »
I find it hard to write these days, although you would still be able to read it but it isn't as neat as it was when I was younger.
People say that age is just a state of mind. I say it's more about the state of your body.
Geoffrey Parfitt

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #19 on: Apr 01, 2019, 08:30:46 PM »
I don't even seem to write many cards these days as so many of ours go abroad and I use Moonpig because they are posted in the country they are going to so have some chance of getting there on time.  I find it so useful to use the computer because I can correct and check (and even use dictation software if I am doing something at length) but I have a couple of friends who like writing - with a fountain pen - and they know I like to get their letters.  Interestingly, they are both men but I am not sure what that proves.  Perhaps it's masculine mindfulness: I prefer sewing :)   It has moved into a bit of an "art" for many people.  I just like getting and sending letters really - as long as they are written to the person who is going to read them; round robins are a bit depressing I find.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Alfred

« Reply #20 on: Apr 02, 2019, 05:41:46 PM »
Its nice to write a hand written letter, even receive one, but with the latest round of postage stamp price increases,  i wonder if many people will want to write particularly at any time,.

even at Christmas time when many people end up either receiving a Christmas card then send one in reply, or vice versa,
although e-mailing, phoning, as the youngsters text, a lot,  so i suppose the art of letter writing will slowly and gradually diminish, over time,

firenze

« Reply #21 on: Apr 02, 2019, 05:46:56 PM »
I did a class in depth on reading Handwriting many moons ago...I found I couldn't see anything handwritten without being driven to try and read character.  Fascinatingly it does carry some credibility.  I still study anything handwritten and still believe it is a pointer to character. My address is 😄😄😄
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Dorsetmike

« Reply #22 on: Apr 11, 2019, 05:41:30 PM »
I suspect that deterioration of handwriting among many of us is the continual use of computer keyboards; most of my correspondence these days is by Email and so much other text use is on forums, or other media.

I think I write my signature on a cheque about once a year if that, payments are made by card or on-line. As for the devices used by couriers and postmen, I find it impossible to make any recognisable mark, let alone a signature!
I'm like my avatar, a local ruin

biglouis

« Reply #23 on: Apr 30, 2019, 03:40:13 AM »
I have written a page a day diary for many years so Im still used to hand writing. However part of the problem is that I think far more quickly than I can write (or type) so I sometimes get impatient with my inability to keep up.

Speaking of cheques one of my customers (I run an online antiques business) asked if they could send me a cheque a while back. I said no problem but it will take about 2 weeks for it to reach me, reach the bank and get cleared. I was unsure of what to do with the cheque as I bank with Santader who took over A&L. They had an arrangement where you could simply hand in a cheque at the post office in a paying in envelope. The girl at the call center said I could still do that. I told her "I feel a bit of a duffer having to ring up and ask what to do with this cheque but its so long since Ive had one" She replied "Thats ok, Ive never seen a cheque"

;D ;D ;D
He who laughs last never got the joke in the first place!

Maywalk

« Reply #24 on: Jul 07, 2019, 01:29:25 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D Love it biglouis.

As for writing my flipping fingers are so curled up now with arthritis I cant even knit any more never mind grip a pen BUT I can still tap out a message on the computer with the middle finger of my right hand.This helps me to keep in touch with the outside world.

Having moaned about myself I only wish you could see my friends beautiful handwriting. She is 97 and can still knit and sew, plus sketching. I only wish I could show you some of her work.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #25 on: Jul 07, 2019, 01:33:37 PM »
;D ;D ;D Love it biglouis.

As for writing my flipping fingers are so curled up now with arthritis I cant even knit any more never mind grip a pen BUT I can still tap out a message on the computer with the middle finger of my right hand.This helps me to keep in touch with the outside world.

Having moaned about myself I only wish you could see my friends beautiful handwriting. She is 97 and can still knit and sew, plus sketching. I only wish I could show you some of her work.

Maywalk
When Veronica's hands developed shakes so bad that typing became very difficukt for her, I installed Dragon Naturally Speaking on her PC for her - made life much easier
Mike
The older I get, the better I was!

Maywalk

« Reply #26 on: Jul 07, 2019, 03:26:39 PM »
It is not the shakes Michael.
My bones are riddled with Rheumatoid arthritis apart from being brittle with the Osteoporosis and just wont grip anything.
I cant even hold my knife and fork properly now. 

Michael Rolls

« Reply #27 on: Jul 07, 2019, 03:55:37 PM »
Sorry - I was less than clear - Dragon is voice recognition software and you just speak into a microphone. It is pretty good - I tend to use it if I have something long to write and feel too idle to type (!) - accuracy when I use it is in the high 90% region - more accurate than my typing! Veronica didn't use it as much as I have but still had around 90% accuracy which was much better than her typing (and typing also made her hands worse)
Mike
The older I get, the better I was!