Author Topic: Is Something wrong with this forum  (Read 811 times)

stellamaris

Is Something wrong with this forum
« on: Mar 27, 2019, 11:55:41 AM »
Right, I logged on as usual.  I entered a post but the page flashed a couple of times.  I was then logged off - not my me.   But my name was still showing this time at the end of the list of those logged on.  It is usually the first name [why, I know not].  Too weird.   I have noticed this flashing for some time now and the site is red marked as not secure.  I think there needs to be a bit of updating of the forum by Chris, licences etc.  Or there is some hanky-panky going on from somewhere.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Diasi

Re: Is Something wrong with this forum
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2019, 12:00:33 PM »
Right, I logged on as usual.  I entered a post but the page flashed a couple of times.  I was then logged off - not my me.   But my name was still showing this time at the end of the list of those logged on.  It is usually the first name [why, I know not].  Too weird.   I have noticed this flashing for some time now and the site is red marked as not secure.  I think there needs to be a bit of updating of the forum by Chris, licences etc.  Or there is some hanky-panky going on from somewhere.

Check your browser settings, it may be rejecting sites based on certificates. A lot of amateur forum sites show as not secure.

Also if your are timed out your name will show at the end of the list & will only disappear when you physically log out.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

stellamaris

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2019, 12:14:21 PM »
Thanks Diasi.  I have deleted a couple of things, so I might have locked myself out of something because this page I am writing on has completely changed.  Also it is not just marked as insecure, it has a red triangle whilst I am typing this.  I will remove it from favourites and log on from the beginning and see if that works.  I am logging off now, I may be some time [whoops smilies have disappeared also]

fortyone

« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2019, 04:02:24 PM »
This site is only running HTTP not HTTPS which has become the preferred protocol since google started pushing for it. I imagine most hosters will offer it at no extra these days as certificates no longer cost the arm and a leg they once did.

With HTTPS all your traffic both to and from the site is encrypted so should anybody be snooping on your comminications they won't see anything more than which IP address you are in communication with. With HTTP everything is just plain text including any userid and password when you log in. This is more a theoretical risk than real unless you are on an open WiFi hotspot when in theory somebody could be collecting everything you do. In practice it's very unlikely that anybody would bother. Just make sure you don't use a password here that you use on anything you'd want to be sure was secure such as your email.

I used to host my own website and used https://letsencrypt.org/ for my certificate to allow me to run HTTPS. I gave up running the site last year but still host a few personal odds and ends from a Raspberry Pi running at home amongst which is my signature image here and I still run HTTPS because the cost is zero and the overhead very low.

In reality you risk virtually nothing accessing any site using HTTP only except for entering payments. Your login details are theoretically exposed but I doubt anybody is going to take advantage of that.

stellamaris

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2019, 04:47:00 PM »
Thanks fortyone.  I think the certificate for HTTPS has been mentioned before on here a while ago and as it wasn't a money site, I was not too bothered. But I have never noticed a red triangle before when actually logging on.  It then reverts to the ordinary not secure. If it is only the user id and password that can be visible I am not bothered about that either, as long as there is no window where registration details can be seen.  I can't seem to stop the intermittent flashing which is mostly likely something to do with the computer.  The monitor refresh rate is 60 whatzits when the minimum should be 60 whatzits, but I wouldn't know how to raise that. And the bl**dy state of the art Tivo box likes to go to sleep on a whim also.  I think I'll have to go back to radio [with valves] and a Parker pen - might as well get ready for Brexit.

Diasi

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2019, 05:26:01 PM »
Thanks fortyone.  I think the certificate for HTTPS has been mentioned before on here a while ago and as it wasn't a money site, I was not too bothered. But I have never noticed a red triangle before when actually logging on.  It then reverts to the ordinary not secure. If it is only the user id and password that can be visible I am not bothered about that either, as long as there is no window where registration details can be seen.  I can't seem to stop the intermittent flashing which is mostly likely something to do with the computer.  The monitor refresh rate is 60 whatzits when the minimum should be 60 whatzits, but I wouldn't know how to raise that. And the bl**dy state of the art Tivo box likes to go to sleep on a whim also.  I think I'll have to go back to radio [with valves] and a Parker pen - might as well get ready for Brexit.

The Chrome browser is, or was, well known for http/ https issues.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

fortyone

« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2019, 07:39:34 PM »
It's unlikely anything to do with the monitor refresh rate. If that wasn't set to something the monitor could accept then it wouldn't work at all. See what happens with other browsers and if the one you are using has any updates.

I see no errors with Opera, Chrome, Edge, or Internet Explorer