Author Topic: Cars to have Speed Limiters.  (Read 2291 times)

Diasi

Re: Cars to have Speed Limiters.
« Reply #30 on: Mar 30, 2019, 10:56:41 AM »
An automatic speed limiter could be a good device.

Until it malfunctions when you're in lane three of a motorway & you go down to 30 mph with no brake lights & no warning.

Automatic gearboxes have been known to do the same thing where they suddenly change into low gear for no reason.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #31 on: Mar 30, 2019, 11:33:08 AM »
There's also the worrying thought of everyone in the middle and outer lane of a motorway doing 70mph and ending up nose to tail, so the system will also need to enforce appropriate braking distances- so it will have to work out if the road is wet or dry, or even icy. Then it also has to cope with working out if the driver is nodding off from boredom and if that is the case, what does it do? Slow down? Chaos beckons
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Michael Rolls

« Reply #32 on: Mar 30, 2019, 11:35:06 AM »
On the boredom bit - remember the oil crisis when Wilson et al told us not to exceed 55 mph to save fuel. Never been so bored on long journeys before or since and I am sure I wasn't alone. Wonder how many folk nodded off?
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #33 on: Mar 30, 2019, 11:42:45 AM »
On the boredom bit - remember the oil crisis when Wilson et al told us not to exceed 55 mph to save fuel. Never been so bored on long journeys before or since and I am sure I wasn't alone. Wonder how many folk nodded off?
Mike

Yep, I do remember that & there wasn't even a convenient excuse to blame it on.  ;D
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

mick607

« Reply #34 on: Mar 30, 2019, 11:47:12 AM »
Heavy Goods Vehicles have had speed limiters fitted for a few years now & often irate motorists refer to "Elephant Racing" on motorways because HGVs are all fitted with speed limiters (56mph) same a coaches (62mph) & form a procession of restricted vehicles all doing the same speed,it doesn't & never will work. All will happen is add to boredom & frustration.Another great reason to dump the EU.

Diasi

« Reply #35 on: Mar 30, 2019, 11:57:54 AM »
Heavy Goods Vehicles have had speed limiters fitted for a few years now & often irate motorists refer to "Elephant Racing" on motorways because HGVs are all fitted with speed limiters (56mph) same a coaches (62mph) & form a procession of restricted vehicles all doing the same speed,it doesn't & never will work. All will happen is add to boredom & frustration.Another great reason to dump the EU.

The longest HGV v HGV overtake I've witnessed was on the A1 where it took the best part of 5 miles.

fortyone

« Reply #36 on: Mar 30, 2019, 11:59:41 AM »
This is why the Brexit HGV go slow is not getting any publicity. Nobody has noticed.  :)

mick607

« Reply #37 on: Mar 30, 2019, 12:55:02 PM »
The longest HGV v HGV overtake I've witnessed was on the A1 where it took the best part of 5 miles.
That could have been me !   8) 8) 8)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #38 on: Mar 30, 2019, 03:16:14 PM »
Me too!
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #39 on: Mar 30, 2019, 05:28:37 PM »
It was quite exciting after the third mile when they were still neck & neck.

The lane one truck had the edge on the slight inclines but the lane two truck eventually won on a short but steepish downhill stretch.

Ashy

« Reply #40 on: Mar 31, 2019, 09:22:47 AM »
I suppose it is a silly question, but why doesn't the slower one let the the other one pass?

fortyone

« Reply #41 on: Mar 31, 2019, 09:28:32 AM »
Why should they lose their running speed just so somebody can pass? A far more pertinent question is why should some tоsser who's governor setting gives him a quarter mile an hour advantage think he has the right to try to use that to the inconvenience of hundreds of other road users. It should be a traffic offence. In fact I think it might be as they fined a load of drivers for inconsiderate driving in the Brexit HGV slowdown demos.

mick607

« Reply #42 on: Mar 31, 2019, 12:41:54 PM »
Time is money the boss would see after noticing random slow downs on the tracker !Before limiters were fitted & relying on the 60mph max speed limit worked far better than it does now with trackers. Another thing, on a three lane motorway if cars are in such a hurry why don't they use the outside lane for overtaking ? That's what it was designed for in the first place.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #43 on: Mar 31, 2019, 12:53:17 PM »
Time is money the boss would see after noticing random slow downs on the tracker !Before limiters were fitted & relying on the 60mph max speed limit worked far better than it does now with trackers. Another thing, on a three lane motorway if cars are in such a hurry why don't they use the outside lane for overtaking ? That's what it was designed for in the first place.
Three lane motorways? Up here, they are but a rumour.
Mike

fortyone

« Reply #44 on: Mar 31, 2019, 05:02:42 PM »
They still play silly buggers on dual carriageways too.