Author Topic: New film  (Read 601 times)

Bee

New film
« on: Mar 29, 2019, 06:19:50 AM »
I think this could be a very interesting film to watch, although I am not a football fan, when this is released I shall watch out for it on Amazon Prime......

Film director Marcus H Rosenmüller looks out of the car window, a little spooked. “It is only one kilometre from the concentration camp,” he says. We are in a quiet, pretty, well-heeled town, a short drive from Munich. It is called Dachau.
“It’s quite shocking to be coming to Dachau, isn’t it?” says the British producer Chris Curling. Both men agree there is something eerily appropriate about filming here. They are making a movie about the life of the legendary German Manchester City goalkeeper Bert Trautmann, who is still best known for his part in the 1956 FA Cup Final against Birmingham City. With 17 minutes of the match left, he dived at the feet of Birmingham City’s Peter Murphy, and sustained a nasty neck injury. But he continued to play, making two crucial saves as Manchester City won 3-1. Trautmann was a hero, particularly when, three days later, it was discovered that he had actually broken his neck.
Although Trautmann never played for Germany (he was not allowed to because he played his club football in England), he was already regarded as a world-class keeper (two days before the 1956 final, the Football Writers’ Association named him footballer of the year, the first goalie to win the award). After breaking his neck, he recovered and went on to play for City for another eight years. By the time he retired in 1964, Trautmann had played 545 matches for the club.[
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/mar/28/from-nazi-to-football-hero-the-incredible-story-of-man-citys-bert-trautmann
The only way is up....

Alex22

Re: New film
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2019, 01:45:16 PM »
I don't think you'd have to be a football supporter to enjoy this film, I believe the book is very good too.

Bee

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2019, 03:13:11 PM »
Thanks for your reply Alex and yes I would imagine the book is a very good read also. :)
The only way is up....

Scrumpy

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2019, 06:49:19 PM »
I learned about Bert Trautmann a couple of years back when he was mentioned in a tv program.  He was much admired. I think his story will make an interesting film. I certainly will look out for it.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Bee

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2019, 05:18:07 AM »
The film is being released in the U.K. on 5th April.
The only way is up....

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2019, 09:34:06 AM »

I watched the trailer from your link Bee; it looks like a really good story.  It seems to be about the people at least as much, if not more, than the football.  I have a feeling it would be worth having a few tissues nearby though when we watch it ;)

I haven't got into Netflicks but it sounds like a good way to watch films when they come out.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2019, 11:32:11 PM »
Just tried to watch a last-year's film about Van Gogh. Why do film makers think it somehow avant garde to shoot films on what amount to hand-held mobile phones? Unwatchable after about 10 minutes which was disappointing as I quite like Willem Dafoe. It was called 'At Eternity's Gate.'
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

minniemouse

« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2019, 03:20:15 PM »
For anybody whose interested and hasn't seen it yet, a film about Edward Snowden and how he leaked classified information is on Film 4 at 9 'o' clock tonight.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

firenze

« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2019, 04:26:45 PM »
Minniemouse..ref: Edward Snowden,  thanks for reminder will watch if it appears on Northern circuits.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Johned

« Reply #9 on: Apr 02, 2019, 08:27:49 PM »
I read a reminiscence by Bert Trautmann recently when he said if anybody had forecast when he was in training for the German paras in WW2 that one day he would play football for an English team and be honoured by the Queen, he would have thought them crazy!  But it came true.