Author Topic: Where have I been?  (Read 2118 times)

Akbuk

Re: Where have I been?
« Reply #15 on: Apr 01, 2019, 12:00:40 PM »

Akbuk.  I did do a further reply that seems to have suffered the dreaded PF disappearing trick, it wasn't controversial I assure you so I can only say it must have been the gremlins.  However, perhaps I can update it taking into account later posts.

The Firestick plugs into the back of the TV via an HDMI port.  You are really connecting the TV to the internet so that it becomes a relatively smart TV.  The Firestick box comes with a the Firestick (of course), a power supply (charger) a short HDMI cable (in case you don't want the Firestick poking out of the back of your TV),  a USB cable to connect to the power source (note that some TV's do not require a power source as some more modern ones have a USB port with a 5v power supply built in) and a hand controller (similar to a TV controller).  Once connected you can get anything free which is available over the internet and of course any paid for services.  A memory stick/USB combination is simply a way of plugging memory into a TV (for recording etc) and does not connect the internet, although HDMI ports also double up as inputs from a recorder that's why you need multiple HDMI's.

Early smart TV's had rather limited internet connectivity because the apps were loaded by the manufacturers.  Most had a Netflix app as well as BBC iPlayer and a few others maybe, but expanding their facilities was difficult.  I have a 3 year old  50" Panasonic which is one of these.  It simply refuses to load any apps such as Amazon Prime so the only way I can get it is via one of my Firesticks which also gives me a lot more flexibility.  My main TV is a new 55" Samsung which is much more capable and needs no new apps.  Those which I use are Prime and the BBC/ITV/Channel 4/ Channel 5 recall services plus a few things like weather, 24 hour news and other interesting things.  I am currently experimenting with solid state recording.  Oh! I also have Chromecast so I can get recordings off my Son-in-Law's recording system their home in London.  I am also trying to get the main TV to reliably connect to my Alexa based smart home system.  So far it can connect to the TV OK, but trying to reliably change TV channels and programmes by voice is currently more complicated than using the old TV control stick.

Hope this is of interest and answers some of your queries

Mike.X

Again, thanks for that Mike & others for putting me right.
Until now Ive only been using two apps on the TV, YouTube & BBC iPlayer.......seems there a whole new world out there with these TVs.

Right next Q for you tech bods but before I ask, let me just say this. No I'm not tech minded BUT I can fit a boiler, seven radiators & pipework in a three days in a three bedroomed house...............its kinda horses for course & tech is the wrong course for me :-)

Not sure if Ive asked this on here before, apologies if I have, I either missed the answers or didn't understand them.
Is there an easier way to type letters for the Smart TV "search" without using the remote? (chubby fingers issue). What can I just simply add on preferably without a cable ie, can I go laptop to TV or even one of those independent rubber key pads or am I just making a paper hat of myself for even thinking that way? Feel free to say yes you are :-) Oh the TV is a Smart Panasonic & I was a Smart Plumber.
I知 a real he/him.

xetog

« Reply #16 on: Apr 01, 2019, 12:04:45 PM »

Interesting Daisi.  My Panasonic has a browser but it is useless and I have never been able to get it to work and download anything.  thinking about it, I now have much faster broadband so perhaps I might try again.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Diasi

« Reply #17 on: Apr 01, 2019, 12:39:35 PM »

Again, thanks for that Mike & others for putting me right.
Until now Ive only been using two apps on the TV, YouTube & BBC iPlayer.......seems there a whole new world out there with these TVs.

Right next Q for you tech bods but before I ask, let me just say this. No I'm not tech minded BUT I can fit a boiler, seven radiators & pipework in a three days in a three bedroomed house...............its kinda horses for course & tech is the wrong course for me :-)

Not sure if Ive asked this on here before, apologies if I have, I either missed the answers or didn't understand them.
Is there an easier way to type letters for the Smart TV "search" without using the remote? (chubby fingers issue). What can I just simply add on preferably without a cable ie, can I go laptop to TV or even one of those independent rubber key pads or am I just making a paper hat of myself for even thinking that way? Feel free to say yes you are :-) Oh the TV is a Smart Panasonic & I was a Smart Plumber.

Can't do the pipework but I can commission & programme a boiler electrically plus installing all the electrical components.

If your TV has Bluetooth then you use can a Bluetooth keyboard & mouse.

If not,  you can buy a wireless keyboard & mouse.

You plug the receiver unit into a USB port on the TV & away you go.

I've tested it on our Panasonic TV.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Diasi

« Reply #18 on: Apr 01, 2019, 12:41:38 PM »
Interesting Daisi.  My Panasonic has a browser but it is useless and I have never been able to get it to work and download anything.  thinking about it, I now have much faster broadband so perhaps I might try again.

Mike.X

Which model is your Panasonic TV?
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Akbuk

« Reply #19 on: Apr 01, 2019, 01:03:27 PM »

Can't do the pipework but I can commission & programme a boiler electrically plus installing all the electrical components.

If your TV has Bluetooth then you use can a Bluetooth keyboard & mouse.

If not,  you can buy a wireless keyboard & mouse.

You plug the receiver unit into a USB port on the TV & away you go.

I've tested it on our Panasonic TV.

Thanks for those answers, pretty sure that the TV has Bluetooth........well a shaky pretty sure. Would I not have gone via Bluetooth to get the TV rigged up to the net in the first place? I never actually rigged it up but the only cable going into the TV is for the power. Am I wrong again & mixing WFI with Bluetooth?
I知 a real he/him.

Diasi

« Reply #20 on: Apr 01, 2019, 01:12:25 PM »

Thanks for those answers, pretty sure that the TV has Bluetooth........well a shaky pretty sure. Would I not have gone via Bluetooth to get the TV rigged up to the net in the first place? I never actually rigged it up but the only cable going into the TV is for the power. Am I wrong again & mixing WFI with Bluetooth?

Internet is WiFi, which model is your TV?

Akbuk

« Reply #21 on: Apr 01, 2019, 01:59:11 PM »

Which model is your Panasonic TV?

Panasonic TX-40CS520
I知 a real he/him.

Diasi

« Reply #22 on: Apr 01, 2019, 02:07:58 PM »

Panasonic TX-40CS520

It's got Bluetooth so you'll be ok with a Bluetooth keyboard but if you've got the touchpad remote they can conflict with each other so I'd go for a non-Bluetooth wireless keypad.

Akbuk

« Reply #23 on: Apr 01, 2019, 11:27:39 PM »

It's got Bluetooth so you'll be ok with a Bluetooth keyboard but if you've got the touchpad remote they can conflict with each other so I'd go for a non-Bluetooth wireless keypad.

Thanks for that, I'm going to get that sorted.

Years back my daughter wanted a computer, I'm talking when they were "kick starts", nothing like what's about now. Anyway, tears one night & I men tears, she had deleted weeks of school work. I'm there scanning through the destruction manual & trying to at least look like I knew what I was doing. Finally I come across a helpline number, got through to a bloke in Scotland, told him the score & for the next 90 mins he talked me through it & we retrieved the work. What a thoroughly nice fella, he even spoke to my daughter just to reassure her (heard her sniffling in the background). Got my phone bill, that call cost 」34............worth every penny of it. Sooooooo help over the phone for this now, would've  me about 」400 I reckon.   ;D ;D
I知 a real he/him.

Diasi

« Reply #24 on: Apr 02, 2019, 06:08:03 AM »

Thanks for that, I'm going to get that sorted.

Years back my daughter wanted a computer, I'm talking when they were "kick starts", nothing like what's about now. Anyway, tears one night & I men tears, she had deleted weeks of school work. I'm there scanning through the destruction manual & trying to at least look like I knew what I was doing. Finally I come across a helpline number, got through to a bloke in Scotland, told him the score & for the next 90 mins he talked me through it & we retrieved the work. What a thoroughly nice fella, he even spoke to my daughter just to reassure her (heard her sniffling in the background). Got my phone bill, that call cost 」34............worth every penny of it. Sooooooo help over the phone for this now, would've  me about 」400 I reckon.   ;D ;D

I retrieved a lost year's worth of University degree work for someone back in the day.

It wouldn't have cost you owt today, you'd have asked for help on the forum & fortyone or me or JCBDriver would have sorted it for you.

Lol.   ;D ;D ;D

Akbuk

« Reply #25 on: Apr 03, 2019, 11:07:27 AM »
OK I'm back with another thought.
Do I need a wireless keyboard or would a mouse suffice? My thoughts are, its a pain using the TV remote clicking on the letters, it would be far easier just using the mouse..........would that work?
I知 a real he/him.

mick607

« Reply #26 on: Apr 03, 2019, 01:01:34 PM »
My TV has a smart remote control, press a button & speak telling what you want the TV to do ! Simple.

Diasi

« Reply #27 on: Apr 03, 2019, 01:02:59 PM »
OK I'm back with another thought.
Do I need a wireless keyboard or would a mouse suffice? My thoughts are, its a pain using the TV remote clicking on the letters, it would be far easier just using the mouse..........would that work?

Yes, it would work.