Author Topic: more and more knife stabbings,  (Read 5814 times)

Bee

Re: more and more knife stabbings,
« Reply #30 on: Apr 01, 2019, 06:47:38 PM »
A man from Northamptonshire has been collecting knives from young people in a bid to make the streets he grew up on safer.
Jack, who only wanted to be known by his first name, has removed a haul of knives, knuckle-dusters and even a sword from the streets of Corby and given them to Faron Paul as part of the 'Faz Amnesty' campaign.
The former athlete exchanges shop vouchers for dangerous weapons, which are then handed in to police.
Jack said he was inspired to take action after he found out he was going to become a father.
https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2019-04-01/mans-mission-to-remove-knives-from-corbys-streets/
The only way is up....

Alex22

« Reply #31 on: Apr 01, 2019, 06:49:01 PM »
The in phrase is "to stand out like the spots on a domino".
Is that not racist Ashy ?   ;D ;D ;D

StephenM123

« Reply #32 on: Apr 01, 2019, 06:51:22 PM »
A factor in this problem is the cutting police budgets and officers some years ago by the then home secretary who would not listen to advice. In recent weeks the same person has showed this behavioural trait many times.

Your starter for 10 - name them?

Ashy

« Reply #33 on: Apr 01, 2019, 07:21:52 PM »
I think another factor is that people who are a danger to the public are not kept in a secure place, or not supervised in the community, amd also not policed when they present as a public danger. It also doesn't help to import such people from all four corners of the globe.

stellamaris

« Reply #34 on: Apr 01, 2019, 07:24:57 PM »
Has anybody seen the Knife Angel sculpture?  I saw it at Liverpool Anglican Cathedral at the end of last year/beginning of this year, I can't remember exactly. We took some visitors to see it and they were here all over Christmas.  It was stunning and brought home to me the massive scale of the knife-crime problem.   I think it went to Hull cathedral after Liverpool.  It should go on a national tour.  It might not have any effect on those who carry knives, but I am sure it would affect the parents of those people. Very humbling I thought.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

zoony

« Reply #35 on: Apr 01, 2019, 08:14:47 PM »
I've seen it Spud but only pictures. Very impressive work and monumental.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #36 on: Apr 01, 2019, 09:08:53 PM »
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #37 on: Apr 01, 2019, 09:15:15 PM »
Glasgow seems to betting something right https://www.economist.com/britain/2018/08/23/as-knife-crime-rises-in-england-police-look-to-glasgow

It won't work, Glasgow is 90% white with the gangs being white, so the underlying cultures are different.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

crabbyob

« Reply #38 on: Apr 01, 2019, 09:18:35 PM »
your on the right tack their mate
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Diasi

« Reply #39 on: Apr 01, 2019, 09:23:27 PM »
your on the right tack their mate

The London black gangs don't really have much of a challenge in London.

They should be shipped up to Glasgow & give the Glasgow lads free reign to sort them out by whatever means they want to use.

In fact ship them into any old English mining town & let the locals have free reign.

I reckon we could show them what violence is like & they wouldn't believe what was happening while it was happening.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

stellamaris

« Reply #40 on: Apr 01, 2019, 09:33:39 PM »
The size of the population would, I think, also have some bearing on the ability to solve this.  The total population of Scotland is about half of the population of London.  And, as said, the diversity of the London population and cultures does not help to address the situation.  Generations of Scots have had the luxury of blaming Westminster for most of their ills, and thus it makes it much easier for them to concentrate their minds in solving what is, in population terms, a single local issue.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

fortyone

« Reply #41 on: Apr 02, 2019, 10:00:00 AM »
Perhaps you are on the right track. Certainly London is benefitting more than anywhere else from our new rich multicultural ethnic mix.

Diasi

« Reply #42 on: Apr 02, 2019, 10:24:49 AM »
Perhaps you are on the right track. Certainly London is benefitting more than anywhere else from our new rich multicultural ethnic mix.

So long as the cultural enrichment stays in London & doesn't affect where I live, let them get on with it, after all it's the London Bubble metro-elite that seem to want it.

fortyone

« Reply #43 on: Apr 02, 2019, 10:51:56 AM »
We are enriched mostly by Eastern European cultures here. I don't have numbers and you need to remember that phone connections to Eastern Europe appear to be poor as they seem to require a lot of shouting but if I go into town I'd be hard pressed to hear much English on the street.

sparky

« Reply #44 on: Apr 02, 2019, 01:35:33 PM »

Enriched my arse, its destroyed every aspect of the London I was born and raised in , in the same way as many other large towns and cities, I could weep now on the very  rare occasions I return there, having escaped when I could see the writing on the wall, you could liken it to a cancerous growth, but at least with cancer it can be treated.