Author Topic: Somebody told me there is poverty in Birmingham.  (Read 916 times)

brian54

Somebody told me there is poverty in Birmingham.
« on: Apr 03, 2019, 09:14:47 AM »
A few weeks ago somebody else told me I am the only  person not to have £5,000,000 in Birmingham.

Traveller

Re: Somebody told me there is poverty in Birmingham.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2019, 09:25:52 AM »
Well there you have it.  If you don't have £5m,  by Brummie standards, you must be in Poverty.
You'll have had your tea.

Diasi

« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2019, 09:27:47 AM »
There must be an element of fact because it's not the first person to say this to Brian.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Scrumpy

« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2019, 10:04:19 AM »

I bought a bottle of wine this morning at the local Co-op.  I am making risotto today and I prefer wine as the liquid .
 Why did I feel guilty..!! It was 8:45 and there were many mothers and children in the store.. I felt like a desperate wine drinker..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Diasi

« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2019, 12:06:42 PM »

I bought a bottle of wine this morning at the local Co-op.  I am making risotto today and I prefer wine as the liquid .
Why did I feel guilty..!! It was 8:45 and there were many mothers and children in the store.. I felt like a desperate wine drinker..

Well so long as your hands weren't shaking when you were paying for it you should have been ok.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Scrumpy

« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2019, 01:02:54 PM »

I have them under control.. It's the  talking rubbish that needs a bit of help. ;)
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

StephenM123

« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2019, 01:15:54 PM »
Obviously Birmingham pensions are higher than London ones. That's where you got it wrong Brian!

brian54

« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2019, 01:23:05 PM »
Obviously Birmingham pensions are higher than London ones. That's where you got it wrong Brian!
I thought StephenM123 has £20,000,000.

brian54

« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2019, 01:25:12 PM »
Well so long as your hands weren't shaking when you were paying for it you should have been ok.
You must be rich to use wine for cooking.

Traveller

« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2019, 01:27:43 PM »
You're lucky.  We can't buy alcohol before 10 am.  On the other hand, we don't have Sunday trading laws as such, so if I run out on Sunday  evening I could always nip into Tesco until 10pm.
You'll have had your tea.

xetog

« Reply #10 on: Apr 03, 2019, 03:22:28 PM »

Poverty is an icon of left wing thinkers.  Poverty can mean many things as against extreme poverty which can mean the inability to sustain life.  Poverty as measured by think tanks is really the inability to keep up with the lifestyle of your peers.  Without a yardstick to say how it is measured the term poverty is meaningless as is slyly pointed out by Brian.  If I don't have the basic funds to provide food and a roof over my head then I might be in poverty, but if I have the funds and decide to spend them keeping up with my vision of my needs am I not simply needy?

I understand £247 per week is considered the level at which poverty kicks in, although I am not clear whether this is per person or per family.  If it is per person then most pensioners would seem to be living in poverty.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Diasi

« Reply #11 on: Apr 03, 2019, 04:19:40 PM »
Poverty is an icon of left wing thinkers.  Poverty can mean many things as against extreme poverty which can mean the inability to sustain life.  Poverty as measured by think tanks is really the inability to keep up with the lifestyle of your peers.  Without a yardstick to say how it is measured the term poverty is meaningless as is slyly pointed out by Brian.  If I don't have the basic funds to provide food and a roof over my head then I might be in poverty, but if I have the funds and decide to spend them keeping up with my vision of my needs am I not simply needy?

I understand £247 per week is considered the level at which poverty kicks in, although I am not clear whether this is per person or per family.  If it is per person then most pensioners would seem to be living in poverty.

Mike.X

You're right, poverty today means that you have a Samsung Galaxy 9 & not a 10, & your 5 kids don't each have a smartphone & tablet.

If that happens you need to get an ADHD or an Aspergers diagnosis for a couple of the kids.

brian54

« Reply #12 on: Apr 04, 2019, 04:50:54 PM »
You're right, poverty today means that you have a Samsung Galaxy 9 & not a 10, & your 5 kids don't each have a smartphone & tablet.

If that happens you need to get an ADHD or an Aspergers diagnosis for a couple of the kids.

I only have a Samsung Galaxy J6.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Apr 04, 2019, 09:01:30 PM »

Mike.X
Very true - and the official definition of poverty is rubbish. It's a percentage of the average income - so if the average income goes up, somebody who was a bit above the previous percentage goes from not being in poverty to being in poverty - how sensible is that? Nothing has changed for the individual.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

brian54

« Reply #14 on: Apr 05, 2019, 12:40:54 PM »

Mike.X

Part of my job was to go through income in retirement when employees were getting to the end of their working lives. I don't remember a case where anybody had less than £280 a week company plus their state pension.
Oddly I noticed one employee had worked for the GEC and we made enquiries and he was entitled to £130 a month. That was enough to fill his car with petrol every month plus a bit more.
He wanted to give me £500 which I did not accept. We did go out to lunch and the bill came to over £70.