Author Topic: 9 hours in A & E  (Read 856 times)

minniemouse

9 hours in A & E
« on: Apr 04, 2019, 06:36:46 PM »
When you're a long time in A & E you inevitably getting chatting to other folk waiting.  I'm recounting some of the stories from last night:-

A middle aged woman who'd had breast cancer and a masectomy (NHS)  and reconstruction 8 years ago.  Apparently she was fine for 8 years and then the implants started hardening and she's had serious problems ever since. (sepsis).

A young woman was moving a coffee table.  This table had a glass topping which she thought was inbuilt and secure.  Unfortunately when she tipped the table up the plate of glass slid out and caused a deep cut on her foot and much loss of blood.

A middle aged woman there with her elderly mother who had a cut on her leg.  She had apparently been running away from her husband who she thought was a stranger because of her dementia.  She'd tried to climb a fence in the garden and cut herself badly.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Alex22

Re: 9 hours in A & E
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2019, 10:18:57 PM »
Someone I knew when asked by a nurse if she had any 'other' ailments she said " yes I've got VD" she then went on to explain she had verbal diarrohea - which she had, quite often  ;D

crabbyob

« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2019, 10:23:48 PM »
and we are all thankful that those places are still available
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Scrumpy

« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2019, 08:04:48 AM »

Love it.!!   I am a people watcher and listener.. Nothing better than hearing what others are up to.. especially when they muddle their words..
 I am sure I would do well in a confessional box.. People seem to tell me things.. (In secret).. People I don't even know..!!  and all this just sitting on a park bench..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

GrannyMac

« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2019, 08:59:13 AM »

Love it.!!   I am a people watcher and listener.. Nothing better than hearing what others are up to.. especially when they muddle their words..
 I am sure I would do well in a confessional box.. People seem to tell me things.. (In secret).. People I don't even know..!!  and all this just sitting on a park bench..

I get that Scrumpy! A man started telling me about his pets, one of his cats had just had kittens, I was shown the photos on his phone. That was on the tram yesterday. ☺️ I think I must have one of those 'you can talk to me faces'.   I smile to be polite, next thing I know its a conversation.  It can be interesting....
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Scrumpy

« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2019, 09:16:39 AM »

I sat on a bench with a woman and her husband.. She chatted away.. he sat silent..  She started to tell me how unhappy she was.. That her first husband was 'wonderful'..  'I should never have married again.. He is a bugger to live with'..
 I looked at her with a 'He is sitting next to you' look.
 'Don't worry about him love' she said.. 'He is deaf.'
 I don't think he was..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2019, 09:19:17 AM »

I sat on a bench with a woman and her husband.. She chatted away.. he sat silent..  She started to tell me how unhappy she was.. That her first husband was 'wonderful'..  'I should never have married again.. He is a bugger to live with'..
 I looked at her with a 'He is sitting next to you' look.
 'Don't worry about him love' she said.. 'He is deaf.'
 I don't think he was..

😳😳
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Sheila

« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2019, 09:33:21 AM »
I find that I get peoples' stories when I am holiday.  They know that they won't see me again and that I can't gossip to their friends so it all comes out!  I remember being trapped in a swimming pool for ages while a very nice lady told me all her problems and I was freezing.

Another time I was told a harrowing story while walking down the beach in Gambia and a young local man was pulling at my arm on the other side trying to sell me something.  It wasn't the most peaceful bit of my holiday.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2019, 02:21:05 PM »
It was so interesting (?) to hear on another thread that the medical staff think of cocaine before cold when hearing of a blocked nose these days.  It's a different world isn't it.   I do hope you throat is feeling less scratched today - horrible sensation.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.