Author Topic: discarded animals and vet fees,  (Read 300 times)

Alfred

discarded animals and vet fees,
« on: Apr 05, 2019, 07:58:56 AM »
Every year i take our cat to the vets for a check up, and slowly and gradually the fee,s get a little higher, should my cat need medication or tablets of course this adds to the bill,

for dogs and cats the fees are expected as vetnary surgeons have to go through a very hard raining course and i believe they even have a longer course to qualify as a doctor , either way i they get well  paid for their time, skills and knowledge,

how ever many vetenary practices are becoming  big business as iv noticed the old type family run vets are almost non existent , where as today many vetenary practices are run by big companies who operate their business much like a chain of supermarkets ,

so is there the possibility that some of these practises will decline as many people today are struggling to survive and keep their heads above the monthly bills that fall on the doormat ,let alone have the vets bill also arriving on the matt,

and so animals being dumped, by the road side,  or left in parks, or fields, some even on motor ways , one recently was left on a train ,?? and these animals being mans best friend are being discarded like a bag of rubbish, for what ever the reason,??

even Battersea dogs home are always on the look out for  people ready to take on an abandoned animal/s ,

Q; So should all animals be registered, or microchipped, before being bought from a pet shop another way  to find irresponsible owners who have discarded their animal/s, what are your thoughts as to what else could be done to help save animals being rescued, or suffering,? as a result,.

Diasi

Re: discarded animals and vet fees,
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2019, 08:18:44 AM »
There's never any excuse for dumping a pet, there are plenty of organisations, big & small, that will take them for rehoming.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

GrannyMac

« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2019, 09:06:52 AM »
My husband was a volunteer taking abandoned dogs to various kennels who looked after them til they could be rehomed.  He did that when he was recovering from illness and wasn't fit to take on full time work. 

There are low cost and sometimes free options for low income households who need care for their pets.  IMO no-one should have a pet unless they are prepared to care for it properly.

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2019, 09:47:44 AM »
My husband was a volunteer taking abandoned dogs to various kennels who looked after them til they could be rehomed.  He did that when he was recovering from illness and wasn't fit to take on full time work. 

There are low cost and sometimes free options for low income households who need care for their pets. IMO no-one should have a pet unless they are prepared to care for it properly.

I once rehomed a dog whose previous owners had to let him go due to their age-related health problems, then there are those people whose circumstances change & end up in 'no pets' accommodation.

I feel desperately sorry for those people.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

GrannyMac

« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2019, 10:05:39 AM »
I once rehomed a dog whose previous owners had to let him go due to their age-related health problems, then there are those people whose circumstances change & end up in 'no pets' accommodation.

I feel desperately sorry for those people.

Very difficult in those circumstances.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Bee

« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2019, 10:11:36 AM »
The last dog I had came from a dogs home, she had been abandoned in an alley way and was with me for 14 years before she had to be put to sleep. :(

From tomorrow I am doggy sitting for my eldest son for a week and she has also come from a dogs home with her no longer wanted by her previous owners. :(
The only way is up....

Diasi

« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2019, 10:14:40 AM »

Very difficult in those circumstances.

I can only try to imagine how the old couple felt as they left the rehoming centre.

Their world was falling apart.