Author Topic: exhibitons and childhood memories,  (Read 568 times)

Alfred

exhibitons and childhood memories,
« on: Apr 09, 2019, 08:37:08 AM »
As a child many years ago i remember one Christmas of waking up on Christmas morning and looking to see what father Christmas had brought me , and there it was ,.

Hornby clock work train set . it had the rails which slotted together. a signal, then the train itself which was a clockwork wind up type and two carriages, and i  played with that set for many years, fast forward to today

one of my sons friends is a railway enthusiast and has built up his own railway set, of course its a state of the art technology to see as its complete with a varied track lay outs, with even the sound of train doors closing, announcements being made over a tannoy system, and it has a number of miniature trains, and  stations, and  platforms and a number of trains all running at the same time , really fascinating, to watch,

this man and his friends who also are enthusiasts, also have their own tracks and train versions, as they go as a group touring all over the place as they put on fascinating railway exhibitions ,for the general public to see,

so for some men i suppose the little boy is still there, but very much advanced with todays technological electronics , how ever i suppose the miniature railways with all the accessories is fascinating to watch .

For the girls back in the past the fasciation of dolls and dolls houses  several  that my wife had then over time, as we went to a number of dolls house exhibitions again very fascinating to see,

Q; so what were your childhood memories ,of yesteryear, and will you share them with us,

Michael Rolls

Re: exhibitons and childhood memories,
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2019, 09:45:17 AM »
Like you, Alfred, one Christmas my brother and I received a Hornby train set. Loco, couple of coaches, and of course track and also a tunnel, which was about 8 inches long. We played with it for hours, much to intrigue of the family cat, who took to standing over the tracks and forming a second tunnel! Then the silly animal decided on a new ploy and lay down on the track just at the far end of the tunnel - until the loco came through and caused him to leap hurriedly backwards.
Mike (good lord - that's getting on for 75 years ago and I can still remember it clearly - but where did I put the car keys?)
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Scrumpy

« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2019, 09:57:03 AM »

There was one kid in our area who had a bike.. He was very popular and we would take turns in riding round the block.. Many a time we would ride with three on the bike.. One on the handlebars,one on the crossbar and one on the seat..  We had a tumble once when we went too fast down a slope and nearly ended up in the fish shop.. I never did have a bike of my own.. I can still ride one.  I don't think we ever forget how to ride a bike..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Bee

« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2019, 10:50:07 AM »
I had the usual dolls, dolls prams and dolls pushchairs, also dolls house, they are all gone now except the doll I received for 1949 Christmas which I still have :) , also my second eldest brother was ten years older than me and was a deep sea merchant seaman and on one trip he bought me a Greek doll back which I still have :) .

I was taught to ride a bike by a neighbours daughter and by the age of 11 I had my own bike which I had for years and cycled miles on it.
The only way is up....

Johned

« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2019, 03:06:21 PM »
I am now in my mid eighties but still have the Hornby Gauge 0 clockwork engine from a set my dad bought me for Christmas 1937.  Until a few years ago I had loads of Meccano but had to scrap the lot sadly, as the cupboard in which it was stored was very damp and rusted it.  I have a collection of Gauge 00 electric trains presently which I would like to set up but have little room for a baseboard.  My little great grandson is quite interested though so will try to get something arranged as he likes to see the trains running around on his visits.

Audrine

« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2019, 03:20:49 PM »
How well I remember that I was always breaking the dolls I had given for Christmas. My parents not very well off brought me an unbreakable doll which I had saved for years. One year when I went fome for some reason I found Selena among my Mother's things. She was in bad shape, Selena that is. & crumbled to pieces when I picked her up. Old age had caught up with her.