Author Topic: Coming soon to a court near you....  (Read 7620 times)

GrumpyOldFart

Coming soon to a court near you....
« on: Apr 09, 2019, 03:15:42 PM »

A so-called “human rights tribunal” in Canada has just ruled that a Christian activist must pay $55,000 to a provincial politician because he referred to this politician as a “biological male” in a political pamphlet. The politician in question, Morgane Oger (born Ronan Oger), is a biological male. However, he has since “transitioned,” and is living his life as a “transgender woman.” According to the decision, Bill Whatcott must compensate Oger for injuring the latter’s “dignity, feelings and self-respect.”

The terrifying precedent set by this case can be illustrated by this one, flabbergasting fact: The judge in the case refused to allow Whatcott’s lawyer to offer testimony showing that, in point of fact, Oger is a biological male. According to the judge, “the ‘truth’ of [Whatcott’s] statements in the flyer is not a defense.” As such, said the judge, “evidence is simply not relevant to the legal issue…”

From an article by Shenan J. Boquet, Human Life International

Raven

Re: Coming soon to a court near you....
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2019, 03:34:03 PM »
Well I think too many people take offence over nothing, AND far too many take offence on behalf of someone else. What happened to Free Speach?

Dickie

« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2019, 03:46:25 PM »
Grumpyfart , I’ve only answered to say omg I love love love your name xxx
Wow , I’m amazed I found you all again . I’m useless but all my love to you all for the past help and love you gave me

Alex22

« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2019, 06:30:44 PM »
It's like Pandora's box, no wonder kids are confused !  :)

zoony

« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2019, 06:33:29 PM »
 ;D  How can they be confused? There was only one thing left in Pandora's Box..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Alex22

« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2019, 07:02:36 PM »
The transgender agenda IS a Pandora's box  8) ............................but you knew what I meant  ;D

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2019, 07:21:12 PM »
Yes. It's all getting a bit fraught and fractious.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2019, 07:50:56 PM »
Well, if a man can decide he wants to be a woman, and a woman can decide she wants to be a man, why can't next door's dog decide he wants to a human - just about as logical
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2019, 08:34:33 PM »
"Panelist Devyn Cousineau writes in the ruling that the discrimination against Oger was severe, intentional and designed to interfere in her participation in political life.

"It drew on the most insidious stereotypes and myths about transgender people and called on the electorate to conclude that Ms. Oger was, by sole virtue of her gender identity, unsuitable for public office," the decision says.

"I have concluded that the effect of the flyer was to expose Ms. Oger to hatred and contempt. This is unquestionably a serious and damaging form of discrimination."

It appears they see human rights and the right to free speech in the same way we do in this country.  You have free speech and, in this case, freedom to act, as long as you don't limit the freedom of others.  I would say that reading the above from the actual trial that Whatcott did indeed limit someone else's freedom to pursue their life.  He actually, reading further, set out on a campaign to ruin someone else's life and, whatever his reasons, that cannot be right.

According to this more tempered report it wasn't "a flyer" it was 1,500 flyers and the courts decided "Whatcott's conduct violated the Human Rights Code because it was discriminatory and likely to expose Oger and other transgender people to hatred or contempt."  We too have laws against hate speech which expresses hate on account of a person's colour, race, disability, nationality (including citizenship), ethnic or national origin, religion gender identity, or sexual orientation.  You only have to think what Jo Cox's murderer shouted to understand that hate speech has the power to lead to much, much worse.  There are ways of discussing these difficult changes in how we view life without going to the extent of hating people or treating them with contempt, surely.

Apparently Whatcott said "Jesus Christ will come again, I put my faith in that".  I think he might be pushing it.  My guess is JC would be on the side of the oppressed not Whatcott and his ilk.

The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Diasi

« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2019, 11:23:14 PM »
The transgender agenda IS a Pandora's box  8) ............................but you knew what I meant  ;D

Wouldn't Pandora's box need to be modified? ;D
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

mick607

« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2019, 10:17:29 AM »
I'm sick & tired of hearing the LGBT people getting easily offended & constantly moaning that some sections of society won't accept their way of life.Hang on a minute, they choose to be different why should everyone have to agree to their way of life when many don't ?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2019, 11:05:27 AM »
Fair question - but don't expect a fair answer - just vilification
ike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

mick607

« Reply #12 on: Apr 10, 2019, 11:07:24 AM »
I'm not Mike ! ;D ;D ;D

Alex22

« Reply #13 on: Apr 10, 2019, 11:14:30 AM »
I'm not Mike ! ;D ;D ;D
You maybe hadn't noticed that Michael Rolls always signs his posts with  'Mike' he just missed off the M - typist error  ;D

mick607

« Reply #14 on: Apr 10, 2019, 11:16:28 AM »
Yes I noticed that typo ! A bit confusing when we have the same name !  ;D ;D