Author Topic: how we met our other half,  (Read 3312 times)

Alfred

how we met our other half,
« on: Apr 10, 2019, 04:24:38 PM »
To start the post , i met my wife by accident, as i was asked by neighbours to attend a wedding reception to play the piano.

well i was given (unknown to me being young and trusting, at the time) a drink that was  well and truly laced with spirits, to which i passed out as a result, and so  i never got to play, it turned out  that my future brother in law  played an unsuspecting joke on me ,which back fired on him, once other guests realised what he had done,

strange as it seems it was this action which started the  beginning to which eventually started the courtship.  within six months we were engaged and six months later we married ,exactly one year after the incident, two years after that my son was born, and later my daughter

so this was how i first met my wife , and that was 61 years ago,

Q;  so for many of you im sure you too might have a story to tell us,.

Michael Rolls

Re: how we met our other half,
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2019, 05:09:32 PM »
Veronica's first husband left her. We had a mutual friend - although at that time Veronica and I had never met - and she and her husband supported Veronica through that very difficult time and I just sort of got involved, I am very, very glad to say.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Scrumpy

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2019, 06:45:36 PM »
I met Sam in a cinema.. I was an usherette.. I flashed my torch at him and just like a moth he was attracted to the light.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

minniemouse

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2019, 07:06:50 PM »
In a nightclub.  Unbeknown to me, he was engaged to someone else at the time..
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

mick607

« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2019, 07:20:35 PM »
Like MM I met my wife in a nightclub, eight months later we married & many were saying it would never last. We are celebrating our twenty fifth anniversary this year !That magic is even stronger as we got older together.

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2019, 07:33:23 PM »
I met my wife when I was playing in an Irish pub one Sunday lunchtime. I really wanted to speak to her and thought of some erudite phrases but was distracted by her pretty-but-wrinkled summer dress and ended up saying "Haven't you got an iron?" We were wed a short time after.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Traveller

« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2019, 07:36:46 PM »
A blind date arranged by a mutual friend. That was 50 years ago and we've been married 46 years come September.
You'll have had your tea.

Dayjo

« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2019, 07:38:49 PM »
From the end of WW11, I lived with my parents near Brighouse, in Yorkshire. Though the rest of the family were here, near Chesterfield.

Once I became mobile, in the 1960's, I travelled monthly, the 50 miles, to stay the weekend at my Auntie's.

First job, after my arrival. Was to collect my lovely little Cousin, as she finished work, at the local Co-op store. Always making time, for a quick cuddle.......

One afternoon. A voice called. "See yer later!".  I came up, for air. And saw, a vision.
 Nice legs. Knees, under a neatly fitting black skirt. Grey top, full of health and vitality. And, the biggest, brownest eyes imaginable......

Cor! Who's that? Your date, for tonight...... By 'eck!

We had a lovely foursome, down town. At the end of the evening, I took her home. In my side-valve, Reliant van.

Next evening, we had a twosome.

Shortly afterwards, I didn't go back to Brighouse.

We married, early 1969. Bought a house, 1970.

All these years on, we're still married. To each other. Still living in the same house.
David, Christine, + Mia...... NE Derbyshire.

Life happens, when you connect with people.
Not, constantly working to be better, or to have more......

little bob

« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2019, 08:04:15 PM »
I met my wife at a wedding in 1966 I was with my mates 4 of them and sat at the next table were 3 very attractive girls I would say in their early 20s, after a few glances and a few more beers I asked her to dance she said yes and it went from there -we married in 1968 and just celebrated 51 years married.

Diasi

« Reply #9 on: Apr 10, 2019, 09:43:08 PM »
Which one?  ;D
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

brian54

« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2019, 09:45:21 PM »
At grammar school. I only started talking to her and the headmistress sent for me the next day and I found out this girl was her daughter. She must have been as the headmistress said so. She was my one and only girl friend,

little bob

« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2019, 10:48:17 PM »
Which one?  ;D

The nearest one to me she was a fine end then -she made me laugh. ::)

GrannyMac

« Reply #12 on: Apr 10, 2019, 11:14:20 PM »
In an underground coffee bar when I was 16. We married at 21, 52 years ago.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2019, 08:30:23 AM »
Which one?  ;D

The nearest one to me she was a fine end then -she made me laugh. ::)

I wasn't replying to your post otherwise I'd have included it as a quote.

My post meant which one of my wives.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

HerefordAnn

« Reply #14 on: Apr 11, 2019, 08:53:44 AM »
No 1 - friend of a friend
No 2 - worked with him
Both ended in divorces, needless to say there will never, ever be a third.  Couldn't stand the hassle lol
People say that age is just a state of mind. I say it's more about the state of your body.
Geoffrey Parfitt