Author Topic: Sexual discrimination  (Read 1248 times)

Michael Rolls

Sexual discrimination
« on: Apr 13, 2019, 07:48:46 AM »
I find this appalling - just read the judge's comments!
Mike
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-47914832
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Scrumpy

Re: Sexual discrimination
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2019, 08:10:41 AM »

.. and the judge just happens to be a woman.!!
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Ashy

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2019, 08:22:28 AM »
If she is really saying just that then it is blatant sexual discriminaltion. The custodial sentence is suspended, so if she tries it again she'll go inside. When you think about it though, it's not so different from getting drunk and running about with a gun or a knife.

Diasi

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2019, 10:11:01 AM »
The media have selected this sentencing, which isn't all that unusual, & turned it into a sexual discrimination bit of news.

A judge has the discretion to impose a sentence that he / she considers is both appropriate & will deliver the best long-term outcome.

One sentencing option is to impose one that requires an addict to undertake treatment, quite often by being sent to an addiction centre in lieu of prison.

This applies equally to both male & female offenders so why the judge would pass those remarks, if indeed she did & hasn't hasn't been misquoted, is somewhat of a mystery.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2019, 10:43:33 AM »
The media have selected this sentencing, which isn't all that unusual, & turned it into a sexual discrimination bit of news.

A judge has the discretion to impose a sentence that he / she considers is both appropriate & will deliver the best long-term outcome.

One sentencing option is to impose one that requires an addict to undertake treatment, quite often by being sent to an addiction centre in lieu of prison.

This applies equally to both male & female offenders so why the judge would pass those remarks, if indeed she did & hasn't hasn't been misquoted, is somewhat of a mystery.
And quite rightly - have you missed the bit were the judge is being looked at for those remarks? It was so baltant 'if you were a man, How can that be misquoted?
Mike

GrannyMac

« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2019, 10:47:28 AM »
I've no issue with addicts being sent to detox rather than prison. And whilst I understand there may be reasons why one sentence differs from another, to state someone is treated differently just because 'she is a woman' does nothing to help equality issues.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2019, 11:13:13 AM »
And quite rightly - have you missed the bit were the judge is being looked at for those remarks? It was so baltant 'if you were a man, How can that be misquoted?
Mike

I imagine that the judge's summing up would be slightly longer than the selected bit which was reported & would, no doubt, explain her reasoning.

I would imagine that the reported years of domestic abuse will have formed part of the sentencing process.

I know several males who have had addiction orders imposed in lieu of prison sentences.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2019, 01:10:25 PM »
>>>>Judge Sarah Buckingham said Parry, an alcoholic who had escaped an abusive relationship, would have gone "straight down the stairs" to jail if she were a man.
Although Parry "deserved" a prison term, the judge gave her three months to address her issues.
The comments are being investigated by a judicial watchdog.<<<<

>>>>>The Judicial Conduct Investigations Office confirmed it received a complaint about the remarks attributed to the judge<<<<  
Seems fairly straightforward
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2019, 01:15:10 PM »
>>>>Judge Sarah Buckingham said Parry, an alcoholic who had escaped an abusive relationship, would have gone "straight down the stairs" to jail if she were a man.

Although Parry "deserved" a prison term, the judge gave her three months to address her issues.

The comments are being investigated by a judicial watchdog.<<<<

Seems fairly straightforward

Mike

I'd rather wait for the outcome of the Judicial Conduct Investigations Office review before I deem what could have been a complex sentencing judgement as 'fairly straightforward'.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #9 on: Apr 13, 2019, 04:51:18 PM »

If she is really saying just that then it is blatant sexual discriminaltion. The custodial sentence is suspended, so if she tries it again she'll go inside. When you think about it though, it's not so different from getting drunk and running about with a gun or a knife.
As a sentence, generally, it does not seem unreasonable as the women is apparently turning her life around and she has been instructed to join an organisation like AA and a few other conditions have been put upon her.  If that is exactly what the judge said - with no explanation - then she needs to be reprimanded.  I can see no reason why a man, in the same position, should be sent to prison.  A chance to sort themselves out could lead to a more positive outcome and cost the state a good deal less.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Diasi

« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2019, 07:40:38 AM »
As a sentence, generally, it does not seem unreasonable as the women is apparently turning her life around and she has been instructed to join an organisation like AA and a few other conditions have been put upon her.  If that is exactly what the judge said - with no explanation - then she needs to be reprimanded.  I can see no reason why a man, in the same position, should be sent to prison.  A chance to sort themselves out could lead to a more positive outcome and cost the state a good deal less.

Exactly right, men do get rehab orders, often after having served prison sentences for addiction-based crimes.

What's been quoted to make a sensational media story could be a few words from a much longer judgement that had a totally different meaning overall.

It's like a judge saying "I find Pakistanis appalling when, like you, they form child grooming gangs" & then gets reported as saying "I find Pakistanis appalling".

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2019, 09:29:35 AM »

Your right Diasi; they often go for the headline quote.  Disappointing if it's true though.  We will never get equality for women if we don't have equality for men too.

Not sure about your example.  No judge should be grouping people and attaching them to a crime however he feels about it.  It is difficult but he should not be using a race card in either example.  I'm not even sure it is helpful when it comes to trying to change things.  It seems to me culture is more to do with it than ethnicity and culture can and does cross all ethnicities.  Poor, less educated or even uneducated communities, tend to be socially conservative including in their attitude to women.  There crimes may be different but that becomes a weak point in any culture that behaves in this way - including what we might see as "our own".
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Diasi

« Reply #12 on: Apr 14, 2019, 11:35:47 AM »
Your right Diasi; they often go for the headline quote.  Disappointing if it's true though.  We will never get equality for women if we don't have equality for men too.

Not sure about your example.  No judge should be grouping people and attaching them to a crime however he feels about it.  It is difficult but he should not be using a race card in either example.  I'm not even sure it is helpful when it comes to trying to change things.  It seems to me culture is more to do with it than ethnicity and culture can and does cross all ethnicities.  Poor, less educated or even uneducated communities, tend to be socially conservative including in their attitude to women.  There crimes may be different but that becomes a weak point in any culture that behaves in this way - including what we might see as "our own".

I just gave the example as a way of showing how easy it is to misquote someone just by not quoting them fully.

I didn't intend anything to be read into it.

I'd have to read her full judgement before I could form an opinion one way or the other.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #13 on: Apr 14, 2019, 08:01:37 PM »
I think it - the original judgement - is being followed up.

(I love your new footer  :) )

Diasi

« Reply #14 on: Apr 14, 2019, 09:00:40 PM »
I think it - the original judgement - is being followed up.
(I love your new footer  :) )

Thanks, my new footer is how & I view life from now on.