Author Topic: driving versus speed/gears  (Read 2391 times)

Diasi

Re: driving versus speed/gears
« Reply #15 on: Apr 14, 2019, 07:26:37 AM »
I agree about the non-signalers but I don't see that a lot. I do expect to be acknowledged for courtesy and swear at offenders just as I get annoyed when I'm waiting to be let out of my road, which is at traffic lights, and, despite me indicating right, people slow for the lights and stop in front of me, blocking my exit, staring stonily forward while waiting for the lights to change. I swear at them much more.
When driving I habitually short-shift and use my gears rather than brakes on corners I know. Nothing nicer than a well-taken bend. ;D  (As the plumber said to...)

As the plumber said to... Graham Norton.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #16 on: Apr 14, 2019, 07:46:16 AM »
Intrigued by that IAM advice re third gear for 30 mph. Any idea how old the advice is? I've only (apart from the campervans) driven autos for many years now (other than the occasional courtesy or hired car) so the clever little motor does its own thing. For most four speed boxes I have driven in the past I would agree that third would be the most appropriate gear at 30 mph, but with many cars having more than four gears, I wonder if it is still as appropriate. The last manual I drove had six gears but I only had it for a day - the hire company had sent the wrong vehicle, so I can't honestly remember what gear seemed happiest at 30
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

mick607

« Reply #17 on: Apr 14, 2019, 07:58:20 AM »
The last vehicle I drove had eight plus eight gears, if third gear was selected at 30 mph it would put me through the windscreen !Wagons are a bit different to cars.   ;D ;D ;D

crabbyob

« Reply #18 on: Apr 14, 2019, 01:51:51 PM »
a wise person once told me
brake shoes are cheaper than clutch plates
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Coastal

« Reply #19 on: Apr 14, 2019, 02:01:06 PM »
BUT ...... you can drive without the clutch, driving without brakes can be hazardous to your health.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Suburban Roco

« Reply #20 on: Apr 16, 2019, 10:05:02 PM »
 The  most economical engine speed is in the cars handbook  , it’s the Rpm  the engine is running at it’s peak torque , not at it’s max  break horse power which is always highlighted by the Clarkson’s petrol head mob ,  and yes I wish BMW/Audi would fit indicators that work

GrannyMac

« Reply #21 on: Apr 17, 2019, 07:25:45 AM »
My son and daughter in law both drive Beemers. My son in law an Audi.  Their indicators are in perfect working order.   Its bad drivers who don't indicate, don't acknowledge, block junctions, nothing to do with the make of cars they drive.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Coastal

« Reply #22 on: Apr 17, 2019, 10:07:04 AM »
You are correct GM,
Not all BMW and Audi drivers are bad ones, but unfortunately a lot of inconsiderate drivers do appear to prefer them, ask anyone who doesn't drive one, and they can usually be found hogging the 2nd and 3rd lane of any motorway  ;D

Ashy

« Reply #23 on: Apr 17, 2019, 06:20:37 PM »
I wish the BMW/Audi drivers would disable the Correct Lane Inhibit System once in a while. It can be overridden with that big round thing like a wheel in front of them.

GrannyMac

« Reply #24 on: Apr 17, 2019, 10:22:43 PM »
My son complains about middle laners, they're rife on the M18 in all makes of motor!  😊

R. Gervais

Coastal

« Reply #25 on: Apr 18, 2019, 09:45:47 AM »
It's not too bad by me ........ it's about 60 miles to the nearest motorway. ;D

GrannyMac

« Reply #26 on: Apr 18, 2019, 11:16:42 AM »
It's not too bad by me ........ it's about 60 miles to the nearest motorway. ;D

That would suit me, I hate motorways! 

R. Gervais

Audrine

« Reply #27 on: Apr 18, 2019, 02:39:54 PM »
Is it easy to get vehicle insurance as a senior citizen in the UK? Over here it is very easy. You see oldies barely able to walk with canes etc & yet they get in their autos & drive away like mad. It puzzles me greatly but then a lot of things do.

GrannyMac

« Reply #28 on: Apr 18, 2019, 02:49:34 PM »
We've just changed cars and taken out insurance with a new company. No problems at all. We do however have to reapply for our driving licence every three years after we turn 70.

R. Gervais

zoony

« Reply #29 on: Apr 18, 2019, 02:53:29 PM »
Older people in the US tend to drive automatics more than we do plus the distances involved in US driving are huge in comparison and poor public transport means one really needs to drive as long as possible. Good on 'em. Life's difficult when one has mobility problems.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.