Author Topic: Internet  (Read 145 times)

MARTIN

Internet
« on: Apr 13, 2019, 05:43:26 PM »
I am interested in the internet and why we are sold something which works so badly, would you buy a car with so many problems that we get with our communications

https://www.internetsociety.org/globalinternetreport/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhMbRhKLN4QIVAkPTCh2w_Q6VEAAYASABEgJ6j_D_BwE

https://www.isocfoundation.org/about/

Diasi

Re: Internet
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2019, 05:47:20 PM »
We don't have any issues with our internet communications.

All-in-all it functions extremely well & does everything we need it to do.

I take these vested interest reports with a pinch of salt.
Make every day count. Every day is precious.

Alex22

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2019, 06:15:41 PM »
I rarely have a problem with my Internet Martin, one of the pluses of not living in Spain maybe  ?  :)

mick607

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2019, 08:00:36 PM »
I well remember the days of 56k dial up internet. Nowadays I have 362Mbps ! incredibly fast.

Diasi

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2019, 08:18:13 PM »
I well remember the days of 56k dial up internet. Nowadays I have 362Mbps ! incredibly fast.

They were the days & the phone costs could be astronomical.

We had 200Mbps with Virgin but we kicked them into touch & just have 70Mbps with Plusnet.

I remember when I had a mobile phone back in 1987 & a 400 monthly phone bill wasn't unusual.

mick607

« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2019, 09:07:52 PM »
It is cheaper to dump your landline phone & go for a monthly contract unlimited call SIM only for your mobile phone instead, mine costs 10 from Superdrug with unlimited calls & texts & 4 gb data. Using the Three network with good coverage. Landline monthly rental is much more than that plus cost of your landline calls added on.There are other 10 unlimited SIMs too !  :D :D :D

Diasi

« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2019, 09:11:44 PM »
It is cheaper to dump your landline phone & go for a monthly contract unlimited call SIM only for your mobile phone instead, mine costs 10 from Superdrug with unlimited calls & texts & 4 gb data. Using the Three network with good coverage. Landline monthly rental is much more than that plus cost of your landline calls added on.There are other 10 unlimited SIMs too !  :D :D :D

Do you just have a landline for broadband?

mick607

« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2019, 09:21:17 PM »
Only with Virgin Media as far as I am aware.With a broadband package there isn't much difference in cost on average a small amount, instead I get free landline calls & mobile calls with my plan.All VM cable here.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2019, 07:58:37 AM »
Problem with relying on just a mobile is coverage. Check first - I had to return an o2 I-phone because it couldn't hold a signal in the house for more than a few seconds at a time, even though we already had two 'non-smart' O2 phones which worked perfectly.
Mike
The older I get, the better I was!

mick607

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2019, 08:05:59 AM »
Good advice too ! Always check indoor coverage first if you can.My wife has a PAYG mobile on THREE phone too & I tested coverage with that first Superdrug use the THREE network.
I'm seriously considering getting one of these mobile routers from them. Unlimited data for 25 per month, if your signal is OK then this could be well worth considering & the added bonus of taking the router on holiday with you.
Anyone one here use this ?
http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/AICubeB900?memory=0&colour=White
Or better still this one.
http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5573bs-322_4G_Mobile_Wi-Fi?memory=0&colour=White

Ashy

« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2019, 08:15:26 AM »
I would like something like that on a pay as you go basis, because I wouldn't use it in every month.
LEAVE MEANS LEAVE

mick607

« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2019, 09:22:46 AM »
I would like something like that on a pay as you go basis, because I wouldn't use it in every month.
There are many cheap SIM PAYG only deals to be had.

mick607

« Reply #12 on: Apr 14, 2019, 09:29:39 AM »
Problem with relying on just a mobile is coverage. Check first - I had to return an o2 I-phone because it couldn't hold a signal in the house for more than a few seconds at a time, even though we already had two 'non-smart' O2 phones which worked perfectly.
Mike
I've just checked my coverage with this online mast finder & I receive a 60 Mbps download speed downstairs in my living room on my phone, I can actually physically see the mast a few hundred yards away !A 22 pm unlimited data deal would suit me fine. When my VM contract expires that will be the way for me to go & saving over 50% of my internet monthly cost.

Diasi

« Reply #13 on: Apr 14, 2019, 09:50:47 AM »
Good advice too ! Always check indoor coverage first if you can.My wife has a PAYG mobile on THREE phone too & I tested coverage with that first Superdrug use the THREE network.
I'm seriously considering getting one of these mobile routers from them. Unlimited data for 25 per month, if your signal is OK then this could be well worth considering & the added bonus of taking the router on holiday with you.
Anyone one here use this ?
http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/AICubeB900?memory=0&colour=White
Or better still this one.
http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5573bs-322_4G_Mobile_Wi-Fi?memory=0&colour=White

The important thing with unlimited data packages is to check the fair usage terms & conditions.

Many unlimited data plans allow a certain amount of downloads at full speed & then throttle back the speed to not much faster than the old dial-up.