Author Topic: Internet  (Read 1175 times)

MARTIN

Internet
« on: Apr 13, 2019, 05:43:26 PM »
I am interested in the internet and why we are sold something which works so badly, would you buy a car with so many problems that we get with our communications

https://www.internetsociety.org/globalinternetreport/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhMbRhKLN4QIVAkPTCh2w_Q6VEAAYASABEgJ6j_D_BwE

https://www.isocfoundation.org/about/

Diasi

Re: Internet
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2019, 05:47:20 PM »
We don't have any issues with our internet communications.

All-in-all it functions extremely well & does everything we need it to do.

I take these vested interest reports with a pinch of salt.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Alex22

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2019, 06:15:41 PM »
I rarely have a problem with my Internet Martin, one of the pluses of not living in Spain maybe  ?  :)

mick607

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2019, 08:00:36 PM »
I well remember the days of 56k dial up internet. Nowadays I have 362Mbps ! incredibly fast.

Diasi

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2019, 08:18:13 PM »
I well remember the days of 56k dial up internet. Nowadays I have 362Mbps ! incredibly fast.

They were the days & the phone costs could be astronomical.

We had 200Mbps with Virgin but we kicked them into touch & just have 70Mbps with Plusnet.

I remember when I had a mobile phone back in 1987 & a £400 monthly phone bill wasn't unusual.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

mick607

« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2019, 09:07:52 PM »
It is cheaper to dump your landline phone & go for a monthly contract unlimited call SIM only for your mobile phone instead, mine costs £10 from Superdrug with unlimited calls & texts & 4 gb data. Using the Three network with good coverage. Landline monthly rental is much more than that plus cost of your landline calls added on.There are other £10 unlimited SIMs too !  :D :D :D

Diasi

« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2019, 09:11:44 PM »
It is cheaper to dump your landline phone & go for a monthly contract unlimited call SIM only for your mobile phone instead, mine costs £10 from Superdrug with unlimited calls & texts & 4 gb data. Using the Three network with good coverage. Landline monthly rental is much more than that plus cost of your landline calls added on.There are other £10 unlimited SIMs too !  :D :D :D

Do you just have a landline for broadband?

mick607

« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2019, 09:21:17 PM »
Only with Virgin Media as far as I am aware.With a broadband package there isn't much difference in cost on average a small amount, instead I get free landline calls & mobile calls with my plan.All VM cable here.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2019, 07:58:37 AM »
Problem with relying on just a mobile is coverage. Check first - I had to return an o2 I-phone because it couldn't hold a signal in the house for more than a few seconds at a time, even though we already had two 'non-smart' O2 phones which worked perfectly.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

mick607

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2019, 08:05:59 AM »
Good advice too ! Always check indoor coverage first if you can.My wife has a PAYG mobile on THREE phone too & I tested coverage with that first Superdrug use the THREE network.
I'm seriously considering getting one of these mobile routers from them. Unlimited data for £25 per month, if your signal is OK then this could be well worth considering & the added bonus of taking the router on holiday with you.
Anyone one here use this ?
http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/AICubeB900?memory=0&colour=White
Or better still this one.
http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5573bs-322_4G_Mobile_Wi-Fi?memory=0&colour=White

Ashy

« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2019, 08:15:26 AM »
I would like something like that on a pay as you go basis, because I wouldn't use it in every month.

mick607

« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2019, 09:22:46 AM »
I would like something like that on a pay as you go basis, because I wouldn't use it in every month.
There are many cheap SIM PAYG only deals to be had.

mick607

« Reply #12 on: Apr 14, 2019, 09:29:39 AM »
Problem with relying on just a mobile is coverage. Check first - I had to return an o2 I-phone because it couldn't hold a signal in the house for more than a few seconds at a time, even though we already had two 'non-smart' O2 phones which worked perfectly.
Mike
I've just checked my coverage with this online mast finder & I receive a 60 Mbps download speed downstairs in my living room on my phone, I can actually physically see the mast a few hundred yards away !A £22 pm unlimited data deal would suit me fine. When my VM contract expires that will be the way for me to go & saving over 50% of my internet monthly cost.

Diasi

« Reply #13 on: Apr 14, 2019, 09:50:47 AM »
Good advice too ! Always check indoor coverage first if you can.My wife has a PAYG mobile on THREE phone too & I tested coverage with that first Superdrug use the THREE network.
I'm seriously considering getting one of these mobile routers from them. Unlimited data for £25 per month, if your signal is OK then this could be well worth considering & the added bonus of taking the router on holiday with you.
Anyone one here use this ?
http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/AICubeB900?memory=0&colour=White
Or better still this one.
http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5573bs-322_4G_Mobile_Wi-Fi?memory=0&colour=White

The important thing with unlimited data packages is to check the fair usage terms & conditions.

Many unlimited data plans allow a certain amount of downloads at full speed & then throttle back the speed to not much faster than the old dial-up.