Author Topic: China cabinet..  (Read 948 times)

Traveller

China cabinet..
« on: Apr 14, 2019, 09:30:03 AM »
Long years ago, every home seemed to have a china cabinet full of little 'treasures'.  My parents had one in the 'parlour' as they called it, full of bits of china, glass and tacky holiday  souvenirs.

Roll forward  many years....  Mrs.T says that she'd like a modern display cabinet to hold her collection of cut glass.  In spite of much searching- including charity and second hand furniture shops we had no luck.

As a final desperate measure, we bought a rather ugly cabinet (made of what looked like compressed cardboard) but which had nice etched class doors, glass shelves and a large mirrored back.  I set about making a cabinet out of American white oak and ash, and I've just finished it.

Then it was into the loft to retrieve several boxes of glassware - which also contained loads of German and Dutch beer glasses (the sort you get free with a 6 pack).

Anyone else have a 'china cabinet' full of souvenirs and memories?  Have you a collection of bits and pieces that you hold on to.  How do you show them off - or do they live in a box?
You'll have had your tea.

sparky

Re: China cabinet..
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2019, 10:07:00 AM »

Long years ago, every home seemed to have a china cabinet full of little 'treasures.

I still have one, I would like to get shot of, but because it and its  multiple   contents  were collected  by my late wife, over many years  I would feel I would be betraying her memory to dispose of it.
In much the same way as this morning, when hunting through her needlework basket. for a simple needle and thread, all the  various ribbons, cottons, wools, etc, I cannot bring myself to throw away.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2019, 10:41:16 AM »

Long years ago, every home seemed to have a china cabinet full of little 'treasures.

I still have one, I would like to get shot of, but because it and its  multiple   contents  were collected  by my late wife, over many years  I would feel I would be betraying her memory to dispose of it.
In much the same way as this morning, when hunting through her needlework basket. for a simple needle and thread, all the  various ribbons, cottons, wools, etc, I cannot bring myself to throw away.
I'm the same. I have thrown away nothing of Veronica's, nor will I. As for a china cabinet - her Hummel figures ans Swazorski (sp?) animals live in a glass fronted display case  in pride of place in the lounge
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Dorsetmike

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2019, 11:59:07 AM »
I've got a1930s solid oak sideboard with a matching display top that has leaded glass doors; one shelf has china, fancy teapot and three plates featuring aircraft, a Spitfire, Lancaster and Vulcan, the top shelf has glassware, mostly vases including a couple of my mothers (1928) wedding presents.
I have the oak table and chairs to match.
I'm like my avatar, a local ruin

Traveller

« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2019, 01:42:23 PM »
Oh dear, already we're finding that there's more cut glass than we thought.  Another cabinet might be necessary.

Most of our furniture is made from either oak or ash.  The one problem I've found doing joinery is getting properly seasoned wood.  I think I'll also have to invest in new blades for my saws before I do any more work.
You'll have had your tea.

GrannyMac

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2019, 04:54:39 PM »
My parents bought an oak cabinet when they married in the 1930s. It has glass in the top half of the doors and is vaguely art deco in style. It was always used as a bookcase by them.

Its now in a recess in the sitting room of our 1930s house, the glass fronted shelves hold some pieces of china and glass, small silver items, one of the many trophies my mum won for bowling, and a couple of victorian figures from my gran's house.  Books on the bottom.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Scrumpy

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2019, 05:07:41 PM »
The only dresser that I have in my house sits in the kitchen.. I found her in a secondhand shop..She is old ,not too big ,has two glass doors on the top and two cupboards below. She is old pine. I have painted her and she is free standing in a fairly modern kitchen. She doesn’t look out of place ..
 I often wonder about the people who have used her..I won’t part with her.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Johned

« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2019, 12:09:14 AM »
Our China cabinet contains my collection of model cars.

zoony

« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2019, 12:30:09 AM »
The only dresser that I have in my house sits in the kitchen.. I found her in a secondhand shop..She is old ,not too big ,has two glass doors on the top and two cupboards below. She is old pine. I have painted her and she is free standing in a fairly modern kitchen. She doesn’t look out of place ..
 I often wonder about the people who have used her..I won’t part with her.

There's a song in that, and possibly a story as well. Tell you what Scrumps, I'll make a deal with you. If you write the story, I'll write the song..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.