Author Topic: The Tories are in court now trying to prove the disabled have no human rights.  (Read 1175 times)

Michaelt

We had better get use to this as once we leave the EU we will not be able to go to the European court of human rights and yes I can here some saying that we will then be able to make our own laws and yes we will and no doubt this government have their very own idea on what those laws will be like as they are demonstrating right now.  

Diasi

We had better get use to this as once we leave the EU we will not be able to go to the European court of human rights and yes I can here some saying that we will then be able to make our own laws and yes we will and no doubt this government have their very own idea on what those laws will be like as they are demonstrating right now.

The European Court of Human Rights has no connection with the EU other than all 28 EU member states form part of the total of 47 states that form the Council of Europe & subscribe to it's ECHR.

The UK was one of the ten founding members states of the Council of Europe on the 5th May 1949.

But hey, nice try, so top points for talking garbage.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Michael Rolls

I must have missed something - what court case?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

A link perhaps?
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

I must have missed something - what court case?
Mike

It's to do with an ongoing court ruling on disability benefit entitlement.

It's utter rubbish about the UK leaving the ECHR when we leave the EU.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Scrumpy

The European Court of Human Rights has no connection with the EU other than all 28 EU member states form part of the total of 47 states that form the Council of Europe & subscribe to it's ECHR.

The UK was one of the ten founding members states of the Council of Europe on the 5th May 1949.

But hey, nice try, so top points for talking garbage.

;) ;)
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Diasi

I would imagine that this may be the source.

What the idiots who publish this don't realise is that the way they present things, & the design of their website, make them look like a left-wing anarchist group, when in fact they have some very valid points which get lost.

https://bit.ly/2Z4eAdI

Ashy

If I read this right, a disabled claimant took the government to court over a benefit assessment, which presumably reduced the benefits payable as the house was under occupied. This was on the grounds that the claimant was disabled and their human rights were infringed by the decision.The government argued that the disability was not relevant, and the case came before the ECHR.

Diasi

If I read this right, a disabled claimant took the government to court over a benefit assessment, which presumably reduced the benefits payable as the house was under occupied. This was on the grounds that the claimant was disabled and their human rights were infringed by the decision.The government argued that the disability was not relevant, and the case came before the ECHR.

There have been a number of legal challenges to the DWP's implementation of PIP etc, of which this case was one.

This case seems to be about whether or not a DWP tribunal can rule on human rights issues.

https://bit.ly/2Gc3F92

But to say that people in the UK will have no recourse to the ECHR after Brexit is too ridiculous for polite words.

brian54

I know  it is an old storey of mine but a disabled man complained he could not afford to run a car. I knew he ran a car until about 3 years ago and he did work in the past.
I asked him if he contributed to his employers pension scheme which I knew was similar to mine.
I think you all know the answer I got.

GrannyMac

I know  it is an old storey of mine but a disabled man complained he could not afford to run a car. I knew he ran a car until about 3 years ago and he did work in the past.
I asked him if he contributed to his employers pension scheme which I knew was similar to mine.
I think you all know the answer I got.

If he had serious mobility problems he should have qualified for a mobility car via the benefits system.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

brian54

If he had serious mobility problems he should have qualified for a mobility car via the benefits system.

I don't know the regulations but he said he could not afford the petrol.

Diasi