Author Topic: Legal Aid for ISIS Bride  (Read 4466 times)

zoony

Re: Legal Aid for ISIS Bride
« Reply #15 on: Apr 15, 2019, 11:50:41 AM »
This is what her appeal is about.

Thank goodness! Some clarity.. ;D ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Scrumpy

« Reply #16 on: Apr 15, 2019, 12:04:52 PM »

If she is NOT recognised as BRITISH.. How come she can claim legal aid which is something paid for by the BRITISH people for BRITISH people.???
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Ashy

« Reply #17 on: Apr 15, 2019, 12:12:48 PM »
If the law requires it then the law should be changed. They can change it in a couple of days.

Diasi

« Reply #18 on: Apr 15, 2019, 12:22:12 PM »

If she is NOT recognised as BRITISH.. How come she can claim legal aid which is something paid for by the BRITISH people for BRITISH people. ???

The appeal is on the grounds that she is British & that her non-British citizenship status is invalid.

However, she needs to face the most severe criminal sanctions if she does return to the UK as there is now clear evidence of what she did as a member of ISIS.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/isis-bride-shamima-begum-enforcer-070330136.html
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

zoony

« Reply #19 on: Apr 15, 2019, 02:38:36 PM »
Bring her back and put her directly into a detention center until her trial and, hopefully, a long-term sentence to serve and be forgotten about.

cowboy wisdom.

sparky

« Reply #20 on: Apr 15, 2019, 04:20:57 PM »
zoony, Stuff that idea. don't you think the taxpayer is already paying a fortune keeping various  scumbags in our luxury jails,

Sheila

« Reply #21 on: Apr 15, 2019, 06:55:59 PM »
If the law requires it then the law should be changed. They can change it in a couple of days.

Yes.

zoony

« Reply #22 on: Apr 15, 2019, 07:22:15 PM »
zoony, Stuff that idea. don't you think the taxpayer is already paying a fortune keeping various  scumbags in our luxury jails,

My point applied to the real world sparky rather than a personal pipe dream.

cowboy wisdom.

Alex22

« Reply #23 on: Apr 15, 2019, 07:24:56 PM »
She should be tried in Syria - even if we have to pay for it !  That's where she belongs, or so she thought  8)  Plus if I committed a crime in another country, I would be tried there surely  ?

minniemouse

« Reply #24 on: Apr 15, 2019, 08:22:36 PM »
The appeal is on the grounds that she is British & that her non-British citizenship status is invalid.

However, she needs to face the most severe criminal sanctions if she does return to the UK as there is now clear evidence of what she did as a member of ISIS.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/isis-bride-shamima-begum-enforcer-070330136.html

The question is, does this evidence stand up in a British Court?
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Diasi

« Reply #25 on: Apr 15, 2019, 10:51:18 PM »

The question is, does this evidence stand up in a British Court?

Yes, there are certain criminal offences, in UK law, that can be committed when abroad.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #26 on: Apr 15, 2019, 11:21:24 PM »
Sparky.   If you fall within the group that meets the criteria then you get exactly the same neutrality of treatment.  Justice wears a blindfold to everything outside the law including race, political belief, faith, sex, sexuality, wealth, power or rumour and we should want it to be so.  As soon as the law finds a way to treat people prejudicially in comparison to others you hand over a biased system of justice which could be as easily used against you as against those you might have biased feelings about.

I would worry more if Diasi is right about partiality re proscribed organisations.  I don't believe it to be true but I have not researched it.  I think you would find there are cases where someone joining any proscribed organisation but not committing another crime - and there are quite a few around proscribed organisations - are treated in the same way.  However, I would be interested if there is proof to the contrary.

I don't think your opinion does "count" at this stage Scrumpy other than expressing it which you have every right to do. I'm not sure why "paying" makes a difference; we all pay taxes.   You, as a single citizen, cannot change the law just because you don't like what you believe it to be doing,  although you could work towards parliament doing so.  I do not believe parliament, unless under the control of a dictator will pass a law which is deliberately  makes one group unequal under it for the reasons I have mentioned above.  You could work for a new law but you would have to be aware that it would cover every citizen in the same way.  It seems very likely that the Home Secretary's decision was ill advised and possibly illegal - this must be tested or we stray into some very difficult areas that could affect any one of us.  She has challenged the removal of her citizenship so must be treated as a citizen until this is proved one way or the other.

Ashy the law is rarely changed in a couple of days.  It is far to important to us all to do it in haste.  If it is changed that change will affect us all.  What law would you suggest in this case?

Reply 15 April on: Today at 12:19:37 PM
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #27 on: Apr 15, 2019, 11:22:56 PM »
I would agree with Diasi that any crime she is said to have committed needs to be proved and the appropriate sentence passed if she is found guilty.  Rumour or stories in the media are not proof otherwise I could have you in prison tomorrow or you me.
Reply #20 on: 15/04/2019 at 12:24:02 PM
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

zoony

« Reply #28 on: Apr 16, 2019, 02:17:03 AM »
 Emotions aside, the woman should go through due process, whatever that is at this point, and without prejudice. That's the way a fair-minded society does things and the lynch mobs should howl, as is their right.. Many of the bad things I've read seem to be hearsay but I'm not naive and perhaps trying to unpick this Gordian knot is best left to the people who know more than we and who do it for a living..

cowboy wisdom.

Diasi

« Reply #29 on: Apr 16, 2019, 05:21:14 AM »
Emotions aside, the woman should go through due process, whatever that is at this point, and without prejudice. That's the way a fair-minded society does things and the lynch mobs should howl, as is their right.. Many of the bad things I've read seem to be hearsay but I'm not naive and perhaps trying to unpick this Gordian knot is best left to the people who know more than we and who do it for a living..

It's the arbitrary way that the law's applied, or written, that I find hard to accept.

As I understand things it's a criminal offence to be member of a proscribed organisation but the authorities are saying that evidence of criminal activity, in addition to membership, is needed in order to take action against returning ISIS members, whereas membership in itself it enough for a criminal prosecution if someone joins a UK far-right proscribed group.