Author Topic: Worst job you ever did  (Read 4720 times)

sueboo

Re: Worst job you ever did
« Reply #15 on: Jul 16, 2019, 06:12:31 PM »
Worst job I ever had was apple picking, got stung to high heaven.
I'm not lazy I'm just always relaxed
Love the life you live. 
Live the life you love.

zoony

« Reply #16 on: Jul 16, 2019, 06:15:10 PM »
Not been unemployed much in my working life but at one time when I was, I tried being an Avon 'lady'...Didn't last long.. ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

mick607

« Reply #17 on: Jul 16, 2019, 06:23:20 PM »
Nowadays I suspect quite a few of them are members of the "Rainbow" brigade ! Equality, diversity etc. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bee

« Reply #18 on: Jul 16, 2019, 06:31:33 PM »
Working as a cashier in a supermarket, with moaning customers both young and old alike....if a customer couldn't find what they were looking for it was nearly always the fault of the cashier the way they would have a go at us.

Being called a f*****g old cow if an underage alcohol sale was refused.

Scanning was so many items per minute, I was once called into the deputy managers office  because my scanning rate was 3 items under and I asked if she would like me to ask the customer to buy three more items.........that didn't go down too well.

The staff were very cliquey especially in each department.

I could go on and on but I won't.

How I stuck the job for 17 1/2 years I will never know.
The only way is up....

Ode Iron

« Reply #19 on: Jul 16, 2019, 06:39:15 PM »
Feel your pain Bee...i worked for Boots. It went from a nice family type workplace ...to a cut throat
hell. Brought about mainly by ceasing to promote staff from the shop floor and bringing in post graduates...who were qualified up to the eye'ole...but no face to face or communication skills...and 2 faced.
I went into the building game..ok you left your feelings at the gate at 8:am - but the craic and solidarity was there.
Masks are muzzles

Coastal

« Reply #20 on: Jul 16, 2019, 07:06:02 PM »
Well as you might know I was a Bus Driver, then I became an Inspector both of which involved dealing with the public, and anyone who has dealt with the public knows how challenging that can be, but I would say the worst part was when I went on to be a Revenue Inspector, which basically involves going out just looking for trouble (and I found quite a lot of it) you were expected to revenue check a set number of buses (either in groups, pairs or solo) and issue a set number of Standard Fare Cards (basically a fine)
Then in 2004 I went on to AVL (vehicle tracking and regulating by computer) in an office with no passengers (supposed to call them customers) ......... sheer bliss.

I know that some people who work with the general public enjoy it, but it really depends on the job you are doing, quite a few people out there break the law and they don't like it when they're caught, they either get really apologetic or really nasty.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Bee

« Reply #21 on: Jul 16, 2019, 07:39:54 PM »
Feel your pain Bee...i worked for Boots. It went from a nice family type workplace ...to a cut throat
hell. Brought about mainly by ceasing to promote staff from the shop floor and bringing in post graduates...who were qualified up to the eye'ole...but no face to face or communication skills...and 2 faced.
I went into the building game..ok you left your feelings at the gate at 8:am - but the craic and solidarity was there.

I do find my local Boots is not the friendly shop it used to be some years back.
The only way is up....

Bee

« Reply #22 on: Jul 16, 2019, 07:46:39 PM »
Well as you might know I was a Bus Driver, then I became an Inspector both of which involved dealing with the public, and anyone who has dealt with the public knows how challenging that can be, but I would say the worst part was when I went on to be a Revenue Inspector, which basically involves going out just looking for trouble (and I found quite a lot of it) you were expected to revenue check a set number of buses (either in groups, pairs or solo) and issue a set number of Standard Fare Cards (basically a fine)
Then in 2004 I went on to AVL (vehicle tracking and regulating by computer) in an office with no passengers (supposed to call them customers) ......... sheer bliss.

I know that some people who work with the general public enjoy it, but it really depends on the job you are doing, quite a few people out there break the law and they don't like it when they're caught, they either get really apologetic or really nasty.

My father was a bus conductor for many years, there was also an army transit camp here locally, one day there was 3 soldiers in uniform got on the bus and sat on the top deck, my father went along for their fares and they were all slouched in the seats, my father looked at them and said......sit up straight in those seats, do your top buttons up and straighten your ties, you are a disgrace to the uniform..........they all did as he said and as he walked away from them he heard one of them say...............he must have been an officer..........my father actually served in The Royal Scots Greys for 22 years as a private, he had  refused any promotions. ;D ;D
The only way is up....

mick607

« Reply #23 on: Jul 16, 2019, 07:50:22 PM »

I did twelve years bus driving & never bothered with trouble makers in fact groups of teenage girls on a night out were the worst I ever had to deal with.

zoony

« Reply #24 on: Jul 16, 2019, 07:51:37 PM »
My father was the same Bee. He worked at a large steelworks owned by GKN as a crane-driver in the billet yard. Big, good-looking fella he was offered promotions but saw no point leaving a job that he enjoyed and did happily until his forced retirement, to become 'a boss'.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Coastal

« Reply #25 on: Jul 16, 2019, 08:13:47 PM »
These days bus drivers are strongly discouraged from getting out of the cab to confront passengers (mind you, these days it's really not advisable) but I was constantly in and out of the cab, I don't like it when people take the you know what (wasn't quite as risky in the late 70s and 80s)
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

mick607

« Reply #26 on: Jul 16, 2019, 08:27:21 PM »
Around here too bus passengers are referred to as customers as well. PC gone mad.

little bob

« Reply #27 on: Jul 17, 2019, 08:00:01 PM »
After school in the local Tripe Works all for £1 for 5 nights.

Ode Iron

« Reply #28 on: Jul 17, 2019, 08:45:34 PM »
Crikey Little bob that sounds dire!..never liked tripe...even when reading The Fosdyke Saga in the Daily Mirror years ago
Masks are muzzles

Macca

« Reply #29 on: Aug 05, 2019, 09:47:32 PM »
Cleaning the Sh*t out of Cuckoo Clocks.
"Don't argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain