Author Topic: Protesters.  (Read 1804 times)

brian54

Protesters.
« on: Apr 15, 2019, 04:34:40 PM »
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1114460/extinction-rebellion-protests-london-blocked-climate-change-wildlife-decline

I am just wondering if the fire service should turn their hoses on the protesters who were smashing up the Shell Offices.
It would give them a free bath.

Bobcat

Undercover Pensioner

Re: Protesters.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2019, 05:33:20 PM »
I think they are quite prepared to get arrested.  With so many climate change deniers or simply don't carers in governments I'm not sure what else they can do.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Scrumpy

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2019, 09:19:26 AM »

Good luck to them.. They really do care and no-one is listening.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Diasi

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2019, 09:47:00 AM »
Why smash up the Shell building & cause traffic jams that will bang more pollution into the air in a day then in most weeks?

They need to protest & set an example by:

having their electricity & gas disconnected.

getting rid of any cars they may have.

stop using pblic transport.

walk everywhere

stop buying any items that have been transported by lorry, including food items.

stop asking their neighbours to take in their parcels from Amazon while they're at the protest.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Alex22

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2019, 12:40:16 PM »
or protest in China or India  8)

brian54

« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2019, 01:23:39 PM »
Why smash up the Shell building & cause traffic jams that will bang more pollution into the air in a day then in most weeks?

They need to protest & set an example by:

having their electricity & gas disconnected.

getting rid of any cars they may have.

stop using pblic transport.

walk everywhere

stop buying any items that have been transported by lorry, including food items.

stop asking their neighbours to take in their parcels from Amazon while they're at the protest.

This sounds good to me.

If they go ill and need an ambulance their mates should carry them to hospital. Probably not. Hospitals consume electric.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #7 on: Apr 16, 2019, 10:13:31 PM »
It's always a difficult decision to make but this is about our very existence and, more to the point that of our children and grandchildren.

I have wondered if I would have been able to be a suffragette.  I have a feeling I would have stopped at suffragist and not been courageous enough to go to prison, go on hunger strike or face the cat and mouse regime.  But I am eternally grateful for what they did.

I'm not sure you could fight for anything bigger than the future of our planet.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #8 on: Apr 17, 2019, 09:55:49 AM »
Lock them up, charge them, give them a criminal record which will prevent any of them ever again getting a respectable job.  That'll thin them out a bit, but not in all cases, as I've just heard on LBC one protester who makes a living as a wild-life volunteer and another who makes a living as a part-time choir organiser.  These are not sane people.

Ashy

« Reply #9 on: Apr 17, 2019, 01:18:02 PM »
I think I am right in saying that before motors came along, ambulances were stretchers on wheels, that allowed the rescuer to push the casualty around. Hence the name.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Apr 17, 2019, 07:20:50 PM »
I'm not sure you could fight for anything bigger than the future of our planet.
Where on Earth did you get that from? These idiots are simply virtue signallers with no idea of what they are on about, or what they can expect to achieve - apart from being a bloody nuisance. The UK contributes less than 1% if the planet's pollution and our proportion is already going down, thanks to polices which make household bills unnecessaarily high and put our businesses at a financial disadvantage. If these clowns are so sure that their actions will have an impact, why don't they go and follow them in China - the biggest polluter, and whose emissions, unlike ours, are rising? India and the USA perhaps should be on their radar as well
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Alex22

« Reply #11 on: Apr 17, 2019, 07:24:59 PM »
or protest in China or India  8)
That was my point too Michael.   I saw one of the protestors interviewed on Sky News, he didn't, or was unable to answer any questions put to him and just stormed off at the end.

Bobcat

« Reply #12 on: Apr 17, 2019, 07:27:34 PM »
The UK contributes less than 1% if the planet's pollution

How is the "planets pollution" measured, and how do you know who is causing it ?? - just asking

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Apr 17, 2019, 08:16:05 PM »
There are quite few measures being used - and to my surprise, some of them put as a tad worse than the USA - but when you look at teh cpmparative population densities, I suppose that isn't altogether surprising. No matter what methodolgy is used, it realldoes seem that these idiots should catch the next slow boat to China.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions
https://www.numbeo.com/pollution/rankings_by_country.jsp
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/most-polluted-countries/
https://www.businessinsider.com/most-least-toxic-countries-pollution-environment-2017-2?r=US&IR=T#-1
https://www.activesustainability.com/environment/top-5-most-polluting-countries/
https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/jan/31/world-carbon-dioxide-emissions-country-data-co2
Another thing to bear in mind - polluting the atmosphere is not a good idea - but how relevant is human activity? Quarter of a million years ago the atmosphere was far more polluted than it is today, the reason being the enormous amount of volcanic activity at the time - something that having herds of farting cows makes a bit of a laugh.
I am not saying that human activity doesn't matter, but am totally unconvinced as to how MUCH it matters.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Bobcat

« Reply #14 on: Apr 17, 2019, 08:34:06 PM »
Coming from a technical/scientific background, the point I am trying to make is that, if I go outside my house I can measure the temperature, humidity, wind speed, wind direction etc. etc. all on international agreed and accepted standard measures. Why can't "pollution" be measured on an agreed scale ? I should be able to go outside with my pollutionometer and say "ah we are at 57.3 today - that's good". And that doesn't answer the second question, if you did have an agreed measure of pollution, how do you determine who the polluter is ??