Author Topic: Notre Dame  (Read 3858 times)

Undercover Pensioner

Re: Notre Dame
« Reply #15 on: Apr 16, 2019, 08:44:04 AM »
We should take heart from the amazing work they did on York Minster after the fire there.

To many this building is such a icon of a shared history which has existed for much longer than any one generation.  Out of the sadness the rebuilding and restoration can perhaps give us a sense of coming together and the idea of how that shared history can also rise from the ashes.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Diasi

« Reply #16 on: Apr 16, 2019, 09:00:22 AM »
I felt like crying when I saw it.  It must mean the same to the French as Westminster Abbey does to us, so much history lost.  I did appreciate seeing Msr Macron though  ;)

Quote: "I did appreciate seeing Msr Macron though".

So did I, the smug smirk had been wiped off his face, albeit just for the cameras & his political image.

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Scrumpy

« Reply #17 on: Apr 16, 2019, 09:08:56 AM »

It is very sad to see such a beautiful building burning. Any great building ,in any country, is important to that country. Whether we like the country or it's people should have nothing to do with it. 
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

crabbyob

« Reply #18 on: Apr 16, 2019, 09:14:38 AM »
i just hope Quasimodo got out ok
typical reporting no mention of neither him nor Esmeralda

[i considered a smiley, but this is too serious]
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Scrumpy

« Reply #19 on: Apr 16, 2019, 09:17:31 AM »
i just hope Quasimodo got out ok
typical reporting no mention of niether him nor Esmeralda

;D ;D ;D  He was seen swinging.. with Esmeralda...
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Diasi

« Reply #20 on: Apr 16, 2019, 09:21:00 AM »

;D ;D ;D  He was seen swinging.. with Esmeralda...

I bet he's got the right hump on.

I wonder if he had a hunch about it?  ;D ;D ;D
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Scrumpy

« Reply #21 on: Apr 16, 2019, 09:26:37 AM »

It is still serious..

stellamaris

« Reply #22 on: Apr 16, 2019, 09:45:37 AM »
It is sad, sad for me because I love some historic buildings, even industrial ones.  If they can take some of the tips about restoration from us that is good.  But I hope we can take some tips from them about what not to do when the Houses of Parliament are restored. I could stand at various angles and just look at it for hours.   Now seeing that burn down would distress me just as much as the Notre Dame for the French.   Similar positions in many ways - both near water and not much space to tackle it.

I too kept seeing Charles Laughton in my mind ;D
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Diasi

« Reply #23 on: Apr 16, 2019, 09:51:59 AM »
It is sad, sad for me because I love some historic buildings, even industrial ones.  If they can take some of the tips about restoration from us that is good.  But I hope we can take some tips from them about what not to do when the Houses of Parliament are restored. I could stand at various angles and just look at it for hours.   Now seeing that burn down would distress me just as much as the Notre Dame for the French.   Similar positions in many ways - both near water and not much space to tackle it.

I too kept seeing Charles Laughton in my mind ;D

When it's restored much of it will no longer be an old building.

It'll be a new building that looks old.

A bit like a Hollywood film set.

stellamaris

« Reply #24 on: Apr 16, 2019, 10:00:16 AM »
Which one Diasi?  Hoping you mean the Notre Dame, which never did a lot for me anyway.

Diasi

« Reply #25 on: Apr 16, 2019, 10:13:19 AM »
Which one Diasi?  Hoping you mean the Notre Dame, which never did a lot for me anyway.

My comment, in the main, was about Notre Dame, but any old building that has to be rebuilt is, in essence, a new building that looks old.

Certainly so far as the interior is concerned.

To me, all these buildings are monuments to centuries of religious intolerance & misery, extending into  the 1990's with the Magdalene Asylums / Laundries in the case of the Catholic Church.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/the-last-of-the-magdalenes-the-nuns-took-my-childhood-1.3515146

stellamaris

« Reply #26 on: Apr 16, 2019, 10:34:11 AM »
With me, it's not necessarily an age thing.  It is about the beauty of the thing and the effort going into building it.  And how it affects me.  I know it is subjective.  For instance, I visit the Liverpool Anglican Cathedral about once a year if I can and wonder at it, plus very nice restaurant.  I have been to York Cathedral about 3 times in my life and think "Oh that's nice".  As I said subjective.

Scrumpy

« Reply #27 on: Apr 16, 2019, 10:49:29 AM »

We have had a very old building near here.  St Annes was the workhouse and I am sure it housed many a poor soul who was down on their luck.. It must have been misery for it's residents. 
We also had Royal Earlswood (Lunatic Asylum).. Again it housed the poor old souls who were not too bright.. It was easy in those days to put people in there because they were an embarrassment or a nuisance... The Queen Mother had ( Sister/cousin) in there for years.
These were  old ,old buildings.. Buildings that wouldn't have looked out of place on the Yorkshire Moors.. in any Dickens novel.
 They were not as beautiful as Notre  Dame.. Tourist didn't travel far and wide to view them.. So not missed when they were knocked down.

zoony

« Reply #28 on: Apr 16, 2019, 12:24:13 PM »
A few years ago developers bought and knocked down my beautiful old Edwardian primary school and built a boxy care-home on it's footprint. I remember how sad it was to see the rubble and destruction. Shame.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

HerefordAnn

« Reply #29 on: Apr 16, 2019, 12:50:24 PM »
Quote: "I did appreciate seeing Msr Macron though".

So did I, the smug smirk had been wiped off his face, albeit just for the cameras & his political image.

Aw, I wouldn't mind waking up seeing that 'smirk' beside me every day lol
People say that age is just a state of mind. I say it's more about the state of your body.
Geoffrey Parfitt