Author Topic: Funerals....HOW MUCH?  (Read 12238 times)

Scrumpy

Re: Funerals....HOW MUCH?
« Reply #30 on: Apr 23, 2019, 01:39:09 PM »
;D
they put you on top of a dozen old tyres and light the blue touch paper...allegedly

THAT SOUNDS LIKE A TRAVELLER'S SITE TO ME... I WONDER....!!!!
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

HerefordAnn

« Reply #31 on: Apr 23, 2019, 02:25:14 PM »
Yvonne and I left our bodies to Queens Medical Science department for future doctors to train on. Yvonne died because of a rare nerve system brain cancer so she should be of great value to trainees. No funeral or the cost of it to worry about.

I have done the same (only it will be the University of Birmingham).  My mother wished that and it was so easy - although it did cause a family row as there was no funeral.  Neither of us had/has any religious beliefs which also helped matters. :)
People say that age is just a state of mind. I say it's more about the state of your body.
Geoffrey Parfitt

Akbuk

« Reply #32 on: Apr 23, 2019, 11:47:52 PM »
Never heard of a "bereaved club", after last Thursdays funeral I attended everyone headed off for the "bereaved pub".

My wife at my Mothers funeral was gobsmacked that everyone after the service went to a pub.......I thought that was the norm. She said the ones she had attended (Skegness) it was tea & sandwiches back at the home.
I’m a real he/him.

zoony

« Reply #33 on: Apr 24, 2019, 12:09:14 AM »
I have to express a  preference for a decent wake with music your feet dance to, drink taken for sport and laughter at old tales often told. That's the O'Brien in me I suppose. ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

mick607

« Reply #34 on: Apr 24, 2019, 06:02:02 AM »
At my brothers cremation last week he had requested "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash to be played !
Seemed in bad taste to me.

Scrumpy

« Reply #35 on: Apr 24, 2019, 09:08:20 AM »

They can play  The Birdie Song  for all I care at my funeral.  I'll join in with anything..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Alex22

« Reply #36 on: Apr 24, 2019, 09:11:49 AM »
Decided recently that I'm having 'Redneck Woman' as they shuffle out..... ;D

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82dDnv9zeLs

crabbyob

« Reply #37 on: Apr 24, 2019, 09:34:00 AM »
excellent Alex, i'm not too sure about 'ring of fire' at the crem

“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

biglouis

« Reply #38 on: Apr 24, 2019, 10:10:25 AM »
You can be "religious" (ie believe in a creator) without belonging to any organized religion. I dont see "god" (or whatever name you want to give him, her or it) as an individual with a body or a personality. More a force abroad in the universe. People should be free to worship (or not worship) as they see fit providing it does not infringe on the rights of others.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

mick607

« Reply #39 on: Apr 24, 2019, 10:30:20 AM »
But we do have freedom of choice regarding religion.

crabbyob

« Reply #40 on: Apr 24, 2019, 10:37:28 AM »
funnily enough i dont ever remember getting any say in the matter
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Akbuk

« Reply #41 on: Apr 24, 2019, 06:50:00 PM »
A mate told me some years back that his Mother had their dog cremated & the ashes were kept in a little urn on the mantelpiece.
Everyone used it as an ashtray when the Mother wasn't about, one day she took the lid off & thought the dog was putting weight on..........
I’m a real he/him.

biglouis

« Reply #42 on: Apr 24, 2019, 10:18:14 PM »
I think donating my body to medical research is an excellent idea which I will look into.

I can remember trying to persuade my parents to do this to save us the hassle of a funeral and I was told I was being morbid and disrespectful.
My father (last remaining parent) died while I was a mature student an university and my sister was kind enough to order an expensive memorial stone which she thought I was going to pay half of (on a student grant). I told her to pay for it out of the estate but she said "I need the money NOW". I told her "well get a loan then. You can spend your own money how you like but your not spending MINE".
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

zoony

« Reply #43 on: Apr 24, 2019, 10:36:27 PM »
I looked into it last year and it's not quite that simple.There are conditions BL.

https://www.hta.gov.uk/donating-your-body
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Bee

« Reply #44 on: Apr 24, 2019, 10:40:23 PM »
About 17 years ago when my brother passed away my nephews decided on a woodland burial for him, at the time there wasn't many burials there as it was quite new and looking at the mounds of earth on top of the coffins it looked more like a battlefield but I am told it is a lot different now as it has become more popular with trees and plants having been planted there and it feels very peaceful.

https://www.woodlandburials.co.uk/services.htm

https://www.woodlandburials.co.uk/about.html

Bumped.
The only way is up....