Author Topic: Funerals....HOW MUCH?  (Read 12242 times)

crabbyob

Funerals....HOW MUCH?
« on: Apr 20, 2019, 08:09:39 AM »
there has been a lot on our forum about, loss... about grief... can we discuss funerals... and the ridiculous costs involved...
a friend of mines mother died a few years ago, and the cost was alarming... ridiculously so...
they charged the family something like £600 for the hire of the family limo, for an hour and a half
it is time the govt nationalised this service because it is being run by ghouls praying on every families grief.
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Raven

Re: Funerals....HOW MUCH?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2019, 08:49:14 AM »

I refuse point blank to pay those sort of money grabbing costs and opted for Direct Disposal. Funerals are for the living not the person who's passed away. The family will get together on a date when everyone can be there and have a nice meal and talk.
I know some folks will think it's not the done thing, but it's what I want and it's becoming more popular.

https://www.low-cost-funeral.co.uk/direct-cremation/scotland/?ppc=1&criteria_id=1007383&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjYjBspbe4QIVSLDtCh0vDwAYEAAYAiAAEgKz-fD_BwE

Maddie Malone

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2019, 10:20:55 AM »
The latest is some crematoriums are now adding a pollution charge to your bills as well . 😕

Diasi

« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2019, 10:29:29 AM »
The latest is some crematoriums are now adding a pollution charge to your bills as well . 😕

Nearly right but the opposite, it's a charge for the additional equipment that prevents pollution, not for pollution, as all crematoria are required to be pollution-free.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

zoony

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2019, 11:56:48 AM »
A couple of years ago when Mum died, my brother and I met with the local funeral director (Now Co-op) and couldn't get them below £3,000. We declined and found an ethical FD that only charged for what you got. The eventual cost for a perfectly good funeral was £1200. They charge these huge amounts because many families are so upset by the death that they feel it's unseemly to haggle or protest.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Diasi

« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2019, 04:21:14 PM »
A couple of years ago when Mum died, my brother and I met with the local funeral director (Now Co-op) and couldn't get them below £3,000. We declined and found an ethical FD that only charged for what you got. The eventual cost for a perfectly good funeral was £1200. They charge these huge amounts because many families are so upset by the death that they feel it's unseemly to haggle or protest.

Yes, there's one near to us who has a private crematorium & you can have whatever you want.

A cremation with no funeral, same as what Raven has opted for but you do get the ashes.

A cremation with a funeral service but no hearse etc,  the person will already be at the crematorium & the family & friends make their own way there for the appointed time.

That's what I'm opting for & it costs £1,800.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Hugh

« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2019, 04:25:00 PM »
Yvonne and I left our bodies to Queens Medical Science department for future doctors to train on. Yvonne died because of a rare nerve system brain cancer so she should be of great value to trainees. No funeral or the cost of it to worry about.

minniemouse

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2019, 08:30:40 PM »
One of the add ons now are laminated 'cards'  to be given out with the persons photograph and details on.  God knows how much these cost. 

Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Scrumpy

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2019, 08:36:12 PM »
One of the add ons now are laminated 'cards'  to be given out with the persons photograph and details on.  God knows how much these cost.

Why on earth would the mourners need cards with the photograph of the deceased on.! Surely they all know what the person looked like.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

mick607

« Reply #9 on: Apr 20, 2019, 08:48:12 PM »
Most FDs will charge £85+ for the ashes to be collected from the crematorium & taken to the FDs office for the relatives of the deceased tp collect.Considering the FDs have cars at the crematorium every day that's a nice little earner.Rip off merchants.

zoony

« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2019, 08:52:23 PM »
Perhaps there's money to be made by flogging death-masks to the bereaved. Someone said they should be Nationalised? If only..Though I'm sure a NFS (national Funeral Service) would be an earner..Truly 'from cradle to grave.'

cowboy wisdom.

Akbuk

« Reply #11 on: Apr 21, 2019, 12:10:26 PM »
My late brothers funeral worked out to about £4,500. Should've had some discount I reckon, he had a metal plate in his leg & the funeral directors asked it they could have it............I was only a third party in that decision. I was shocked at the request but it seems that's the norm. If it had been up to me, it would've been a NO. The fella went through enough prior to his death without being mauled about afterwards.   
I’m a real he/him.

mick607

« Reply #12 on: Apr 21, 2019, 01:40:27 PM »
Looks like a bit of your brother was weighed in for scrap.Shocking & disgraceful spring to mind.

zoony

« Reply #13 on: Apr 21, 2019, 01:51:24 PM »
Prosthetic bits and pieces are often recycled and re-used. Dunno what they're worth though..

cowboy wisdom.

mick607

« Reply #14 on: Apr 21, 2019, 04:30:49 PM »
Titanium steel aint cheap !