Author Topic: Funerals....HOW MUCH?  (Read 12235 times)

crabbyob

Re: Funerals....HOW MUCH?
« Reply #15 on: Apr 21, 2019, 04:51:51 PM »
thanks folks, i know the cost varies dramatically, but i cant for the life of me understand why... the last one i was involved in cost around £2000 and that was about 15 years ago, it is alleged it goes up a lump every year, way above the cost of living increasing, and no-one is saying a word about it...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

mick607

« Reply #16 on: Apr 21, 2019, 04:54:48 PM »
Personally crabby I think most people are full of grief at the time & many people being insured the FDs have cottoned on to that knowing there is plenty of cash to spend.Robbing swine's.

Akbuk

« Reply #17 on: Apr 21, 2019, 05:20:36 PM »

Looks like a bit of your brother was weighed in for scrap.Shocking & disgraceful spring to mind.

I couldn't really say anything at the time, I was there supporting his wife, I never even knew you could have jewellery made up with some of the deceased ashes put in. She had a ring done, nice thought I suppose but even that was a "you what?" in my mind.
Went to a mates funeral Thursday he was an electrician. Over three hundred people turned up, he told me a couple of months back he had done work for the vicar, the funeral directors & did a deal with both parties on cost, got it all on the cheap.
I’m a real he/him.

minniemouse

« Reply #18 on: Apr 21, 2019, 05:58:48 PM »

Why on earth would the mourners need cards with the photograph of the deceased on.! Surely they all know what the person looked like.
It's for a keepsake, maybe for say, ex-work colleagues to remember them.  I still think it's a money making rip off and have told my daughter so.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

biglouis

« Reply #19 on: Apr 22, 2019, 02:41:36 AM »
In the bible Jesus says "let the dead bury the dead" when someone used that as an excuse not to follow him. I think he probably meant that once someone is dead there is nothing more you can do for them, so keep your mind and your efforts for the living.

I am not a Christian or a follower of any organized religion but I believe too much money is being wasted on the cost of funerals. People are afraid to discuss it because they imagine lashing out thousands is something to do with "respect" for the dead person.

What a lot of tosh.

I am not leaving a penny for my funeral and have warned all my family to refuse to pay for it. So the local council will have to pay for it. They got enough from me in ripoff council tax. It will be my final laugh on them.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Diasi

« Reply #20 on: Apr 22, 2019, 07:03:26 AM »
In the bible Jesus says "let the dead bury the dead" when someone used that as an excuse not to follow him. I think he probably meant that once someone is dead there is nothing more you can do for them, so keep your mind and your efforts for the living.

I am not a Christian or a follower of any organized religion but I believe too much money is being wasted on the cost of funerals. People are afraid to discuss it because they imagine lashing out thousands is something to do with "respect" for the dead person.

What a lot of tosh.

I am not leaving a penny for my funeral and have warned all my family to refuse to pay for it. So the local council will have to pay for it. They got enough from me in ripoff council tax. It will be my final laugh on them.

It's a good thought but you'll need to ensure you don't leave any estate because the council will claim it back from your estate.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Audrine

« Reply #21 on: Apr 22, 2019, 03:08:55 PM »
Not a Christian or a follower Big Louis. You must be something surely. You just can't be a nothing can you? Audrine

Sheila

« Reply #22 on: Apr 22, 2019, 03:14:06 PM »
I refuse point blank to pay those sort of money grabbing costs and opted for Direct Disposal. Funerals are for the living not the person who's passed away. The family will get together on a date when everyone can be there and have a nice meal and talk.
I know some folks will think it's not the done thing, but it's what I want and it's becoming more popular.

https://www.low-cost-funeral.co.uk/direct-cremation/scotland/?ppc=1&criteria_id=1007383&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjYjBspbe4QIVSLDtCh0vDwAYEAAYAiAAEgKz-fD_BwE

Thanks for the link Raven.  We are in north west England but there is probably something similar.  We'll investigate and then email our (scattered) daughters.  It seems to make sense to us.

Akbuk

« Reply #23 on: Apr 22, 2019, 06:48:38 PM »
Scattered my Fathers ashes near the Land Rover works here in Solihull..........then what? Land Rover bought the land up & built a paint shop on it...........I'm in the doghouse if there is an afterlife & we do meet up. It was supposed to be a nice quiet wooded area.
I’m a real he/him.

Scrumpy

« Reply #24 on: Apr 22, 2019, 07:50:01 PM »
Akbuk  ;D ;D ;D

I took Sam to the top of our park overlooking Reigate.. The wind blew  and the ashes were blown into my face and clothing. I had a shower when I got back home.. So, I guess some of him ended up down the plug hole..!
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Akbuk

« Reply #25 on: Apr 22, 2019, 10:00:48 PM »

Akbuk  ;D ;D ;D

I took Sam to the top of our park overlooking Reigate.. The wind blew  and the ashes were blown into my face and clothing. I had a shower when I got back home.. So, I guess some of him ended up down the plug hole..!

;D ;D ;D
I’m a real he/him.

crabbyob

« Reply #26 on: Apr 23, 2019, 10:26:30 AM »
all good info [poor Sam]
if you had married a sailor instead of a fireman you would have known not to censored into the wind..

great link from Roxy, as any of you find a local branch of same can you put it up... ;D
i'm hoping i can time it so i'm in India... it will cost about fifty bob... ;D
they put you on top of a dozen old tyres and light the blue touch paper...allegedly
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

brian54

« Reply #27 on: Apr 23, 2019, 12:01:53 PM »
I know it may be a bit late for some of you but my father had 8 siblings and he was the oldest.
We only had 1 limo in his funeral plan.
It turned out we were correct because he was the last one to pass away even though he was the oldest.
Unfortunately most of his friends and work mates had passed away. He did go to a bereaved club but a lot of the ladies wanted him to leave his estate to a lady who befriended him for about 8 weeks and left when she realised she was not going to get the house.
Dad did however have a lot of loyalty to his family and he left all his estate to us.

Alex22

« Reply #28 on: Apr 23, 2019, 12:04:29 PM »
" He did go to a bereaved club but a lot of the ladies wanted him to leave his estate to a lady who befriended him for about 8 weeks and left when she realised she was not going to get the house."
Come on Brian can you remember how MANY times you've told us about this ?  or are you really just taking the ************

Bee

« Reply #29 on: Apr 23, 2019, 12:22:13 PM »
About 17 years ago when my brother passed away my nephews decided on a woodland burial for him, at the time there wasn't many burials there as it was quite new and looking at the mounds of earth on top of the coffins it looked more like a battlefield but I am told it is a lot different now as it has become more popular with trees and plants having been planted there and it feels very peaceful.

https://www.woodlandburials.co.uk/services.htm

https://www.woodlandburials.co.uk/about.html
The only way is up....