Author Topic: Funerals....HOW MUCH?  (Read 12246 times)

GrannyMac

Re: Funerals....HOW MUCH?
« Reply #75 on: Dec 15, 2019, 07:49:48 PM »
That's as maybe, but why then would there not be an insurance policy in force for say £5000 each  payable on death? Surely most people are insured for a lot more than that?

I thought that the Conservatives now had some understanding of 'ordinary' people, that's why they won so many traditional Labour seats.  Your comments about money and benefits show you really don't have a clue how the less well off are managing. I thought Brian was the forum expert in 'smug' but I'm not so sure now.

Perhaps mandatory awareness sessions should be introduced for all candidates before selection.  Plus reminders that although some benefits are not means tested, they are there to help those who actually need them, not top up the incomes of the already well off.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Hugh

« Reply #76 on: Dec 16, 2019, 03:47:44 PM »
I am keeping £4000 in the bank to cover costs but do not want them to waste it on a funeral. They are planning on planting millions of trees through out the country, how about sticking a dead body in the hole first,and a tree on top.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #77 on: Dec 16, 2019, 04:45:47 PM »
I thought that the Conservatives now had some understanding of 'ordinary' people, that's why they won so many traditional Labour seats.  Your comments about money and benefits show you really don't have a clue how the less well off are managing. I thought Brian was the forum expert in 'smug' but I'm not so sure now.

Perhaps mandatory awareness sessions should be introduced for all candidates before selection.  Plus reminders that although some benefits are not means tested, they are there to help those who actually need them, not top up the incomes of the already well off.

In answer to those points.
I fully understand that there are many people just about making ends meet. I hear and see them daily. I also take a view that everyone has a responsibility to themselves and not to have to rely on the welfare state.
I have come across many that are without an income that matches their expenditure. Budgeting advice is offered by many local charities to whom I refer them.
I also find that because of the lack of being able to budget properly or effectively, it doesn't matter what money you give them they will always spend the last penny and more. I had one resident that had an inheritance of just over £5000 and within 3 weeks it had been spent not on outstanding bills but a holiday to Spain and a second-hand car! There was still the rent arrears to pay, as well as three catalogues which were all maxed out.
If people are fit and healthy I would suggest two maybe three jobs in order to earn that little bit more but I would imagine that extra would be spent on something totally frivolous.

As for benefits under the welfare state I am in full agreement to claim every penny that you may be entitled to. But once again good control of their finances must be taken seriously.

I have taken your last comment to refer to me? I claim everything that I believe that I am entitled to. Whether that gives me a good income is by the way. Benefits are not conditional on being given only to those that need them. They are universal. Go down that road, then both our ex Prime Ministers' - Brown and Cameron should not have been granted up to £140 a week of DLA in respect of their children?

Reading a post on another website typifies some people.

Not the first time I have seen this happen.
Single parents seen yesterday under 25 on Income Support, so desperate for money for Xmas presents for the child that they wanted to change to UC to get the maximum loan quickly?
They already had budgeting loans so not an option either.

Not because of the pressure of long outstanding bills but wanting more money from the State to pay for Xmas presents?

Goingtoseed

« Reply #78 on: Dec 16, 2019, 04:55:46 PM »
I am keeping £4000 in the bank to cover costs but do not want them to waste it on a funeral. They are planning on planting millions of trees through out the country, how about sticking a dead body in the hole first,and a tree on top.

Errr a 6" hole to put a body in?

I suppose you could build yourself a pyre of scrap tyres & pallets with the body on the top then put the ashes in the hole to fertilize the tree.

Not providing for your own funeral will only give your grieving family a debt to pay out of their own money. Or expect the State to pay for a paupers funeral or maybe not claim the body and let the council dispose of it leaving the council taxpayers to foot the cost.

mick607

« Reply #79 on: Dec 16, 2019, 06:06:09 PM »
I have never read such an arrogant post in years.
GTSs attitude is I'm alright Jack. Sod everyone else.

Ode Iron

« Reply #80 on: Dec 16, 2019, 06:22:07 PM »
Smug..is the word concerning the persons post by GTS...my Wife went to MABS...about our plight-"You should be an ecominist Madam..how you manage is a wonder". Perhaps instead of griping about lots of genuine cash strapped individuals..he will turn his Gerry Leadbetter ( Good Life) skills to maybe helping.
Masks are muzzles

mick607

« Reply #81 on: Dec 16, 2019, 06:23:39 PM »
I agree OI.

Hugh

« Reply #82 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:08:40 PM »
The idea I said about burying a body and planting a tree on top is not new, its going on at the moment in some areas.

zoony

« Reply #83 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:20:21 PM »
  In Northern Spain Hugh, they replace grapevines about every 40 yrs or so. They're deep-set and tradition dictates that a sardine goes into every hole which provides nutrition as the plant gets established.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Scrumpy

« Reply #84 on: Dec 17, 2019, 08:12:21 AM »

Goingtoseed... Money to burn..!!

Have your funeral on me, a tax payer...
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.