Author Topic: The cost of personal care for over 65s  (Read 6423 times)

GrannyMac

The cost of personal care for over 65s
« on: May 25, 2019, 07:29:33 AM »
A think tank has proposed that personal care for over 65s should be funded by taxes rather than the individual.  It would reduce the cost to the NHS for obvious reasons.  Seems like a no-brainer to me.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/may/23/personal-care-should-be-free-for-over-65s-says-thinktank
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

Re: The cost of personal care for over 65s
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 08:09:57 AM »
I just hope that it comes about - the present situation is very iniquitous.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 11:04:48 AM »
A think tank has proposed that personal care for over 65s should be funded by taxes rather than the individual.  It would reduce the cost to the NHS for obvious reasons.  Seems like a no-brainer to me.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/may/23/personal-care-should-be-free-for-over-65s-says-thinktank

It is a no-brainer, which is why it's unlikely to happen.

The scheme should be further enhanced by scrapping foreign aid & by pulling out of the USA's  'Boys Own' military adventures.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

GrannyMac

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 11:08:28 AM »
It is a no-brainer, which is why it's unlikely to happen.

The scheme should be further enhanced by scrapping foreign aid & by pulling out of the USA's  'Boys Own' military adventures.

Age UK campaigned recently about TV licences for the over 75s.  I think this is another issue they should lobby on, especially with the evidence about savings to the NHS.

R. Gervais

sparky

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 12:09:31 PM »

Yeah and that's just for starters,

Ashy

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 12:55:13 PM »

And to add, not only should charity begin at home, our country should expend more effort in creating wealth.

sparky

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 01:10:14 PM »

,our country should expend more effort in creating wealth

It already does, for politicians, heads of quangos, various other pointless study groups, etc,  and all their other parasitic cronies.

Bobcat

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 04:59:45 PM »
And to add, not only should charity begin at home

A good point, but "home" is with their families. My wife's mother, my mother, my wife's grandmother all came to live with us when their husbands died, and they all died with us. Why do we farm our old relatives out to care homes ??

GrannyMac

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 05:59:14 PM »
My mum was hundreds of miles away in Scotland.  She didn't want to move to England, and we had jobs and teenage children at school, so couldn't just up sticks.  Mum's rented flat was fine, her brother and sister in law and friends were nearby, and she had a reasonable social life. Several strokes and the outcome was care. My uncle and aunt eventually had the same situation, their children were in NZ and Canada. 

My inlaws both died before they needed care, younger than we are now.  I felt very guilty about my mother's situation, even though I knew she was being looked after.  It doesn't really help to read comments suggesting everyone has the same solution.

R. Gervais

brian54

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 06:37:58 PM »
I am 71 and do not have any personal care. A cleaner comes every 2 weeks and I have a gardener who I fund myself.
I wash my own car on average every 2 weeks.
I prepare most of my meals myself but I do go out for some.
I don't see why I should pay tax for this.
I go to the leisure centre to do aerofit and Zumbab and I am the president of the 4.30am running club.

Diasi

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2019, 08:57:09 PM »
My mum was hundreds of miles away in Scotland.  She didn't want to move to England, and we had jobs and teenage children at school, so couldn't just up sticks.  Mum's rented flat was fine, her brother and sister in law and friends were nearby, and she had a reasonable social life. Several strokes and the outcome was care. My uncle and aunt eventually had the same situation, their children were in NZ and Canada. 

My inlaws both died before they needed care, younger than we are now.  I felt very guilty about my mother's situation, even though I knew she was being looked after.  It doesn't really help to read comments suggesting everyone has the same solution.

GrannyMac don't let it upset you or feel guilty, it's easy to come up with a smug solution when you know Jack about other people's circumstances.

My Dad was the same, we wanted to buy a big house with an annexe for him but he wouldn't leave his home village so when he had a fall & died we got the "that's his son who didn't care" routine.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Ashy

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2019, 10:03:46 PM »

,our country should expend more effort in creating wealth

It already does, for politicians, heads of quangos, various other pointless study groups, etc,  and all their other parasitic cronies.
Not disagreeing in principle but these useless lazy parasites are busy acquiring wealth created by others. Wealth is created by mining/quarrying, agriculture, fishing and of course manufacturing useful things.

GrannyMac

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2019, 10:07:31 PM »
I am 71 and do not have any personal care. A cleaner comes every 2 weeks and I have a gardener who I fund myself.
I wash my own car on average every 2 weeks.
I prepare most of my meals myself but I do go out for some.
I don't see why I should pay tax for this.
I go to the leisure centre to do aerofit and Zumbab and I am the president of the 4.30am running club.

If you do need care, would you rather it was free, or have to pay thousands of ££ a month?

R. Gervais

GrannyMac

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2019, 10:08:05 PM »
GrannyMac don't let it upset you or feel guilty, it's easy to come up with a smug solution when you know Jack about other people's circumstances.

My Dad was the same, we wanted to buy a big house with an annexe for him but he wouldn't leave his home village so when he had a fall & died we got the "that's his son who didn't care" routine.

Thanks, that's appreciated.

R. Gervais

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2019, 11:18:12 AM »

Lovely, thoughtful answer Diasi.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.