Author Topic: The cost of personal care for over 65s  (Read 6427 times)

brian54

Re: The cost of personal care for over 65s
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 10:50:59 AM »
A good point, but "home" is with their families. My wife's mother, my mother, my wife's grandmother all came to live with us when their husbands died, and they all died with us. Why do we farm our old relatives out to care homes ??

I did look after Dad for as long as possible and in all fairness my daughters did. Sadly he got violent and got out and was wondering about in the end including the streets.
I called an ambulance and they did not want to take him to hospital at first but I did state if they did not they are likely to land up with 2 patients instead if 1.
Dad caused all sorts of problems to the staff and attacked a doctor and a nurse.
Oddly after about 2 weeks the mental health nurse asked to see me and the meeting lasted the best part of an hour.
When I got out I suddenly thought the conversation was mainly about me.
I had a chat with the ward sister and she admitted the mental health nurse was making sure I did not need help as well.
One frightening thing. I visited a patient a few weeks ago in a dementia care home to find I was older than several of the residents.

Cassandra

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2019, 07:16:58 PM »

Did all the 'residents' happen to be dressed in running gear Brian?
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Ashy

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2019, 07:53:05 PM »
But the mental health nurse invested in a pension plan, so the time was not wasted.

Diasi

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2019, 10:18:48 PM »

;D ;D ;D
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

ronyork

« Reply #19 on: Jul 06, 2019, 05:50:29 PM »
Decided that I must have a little rest from caring for Audrey so booked her into a care home for two weeks starting next Monday, that,s two thousand for a start. No help from the state unless you know better.

sparky

« Reply #20 on: Jul 06, 2019, 08:19:26 PM »
ronyork. Well we can't help everybody. you must know its far more important to give  billions of British taxpayers money away in foreign aid, and feed and house all those free loaders and criminals  that enter our country, so helping our own is the last thing on the minds of the Westminster t******s

Diasi

« Reply #21 on: Jul 06, 2019, 09:38:27 PM »
Decided that I must have a little rest from caring for Audrey so booked her into a care home for two weeks starting next Monday, that,s two thousand for a start. No help from the state unless you know better.

ronyork. Well we can't help everybody. you must know its far more important to give  billions of British taxpayers money away in foreign aid, and feed and house all those free loaders and criminals  that enter our country, so helping our own is the last thing on the minds of the Westminster t******s

I think that both of you are being very selfish.

How can India maintain it's space programme if it has to divert the dosh that we would have given it in foreign aid.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

GrannyMac

« Reply #22 on: Jul 06, 2019, 10:47:28 PM »
Its time India started looking after its indigenous poor instead of splurging on space, with help from the West.  Charity begins at home.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #23 on: Jul 06, 2019, 11:04:54 PM »
Totally agree, Granny
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

brian54

« Reply #24 on: Jul 06, 2019, 11:43:36 PM »
Birmingham is broke. The social workers try to shove the cost of care on to the relatives if the patient has no assets. There are many people who choose not to work a lot of them British.

ronyork

« Reply #25 on: Jul 07, 2019, 11:52:31 AM »
GrannyMac. Aid to India this year 98 million pounds ,Almost what that country has spent on a lunar probe. I think Pakistan receive about the same.

Sheila

« Reply #26 on: Jul 07, 2019, 12:15:44 PM »
I remember reading in an Indian newspaper that they actually don't want our aid.

Diasi

« Reply #27 on: Jul 07, 2019, 02:10:06 PM »
I remember reading in an Indian newspaper that they actually don't want our aid.

Presumably, in that case, they return it.

Yeah, right, but hey, we don't need or want it but we'll keep it all the same as it'll pay for our space probe.

Alex22

« Reply #28 on: Jul 07, 2019, 02:36:15 PM »
I'm sorry, I know this is a serious topic but ....................................... 

Goingtoseed

« Reply #29 on: Jul 07, 2019, 06:13:34 PM »
Birmingham is broke. The social workers try to shove the cost of care on to the relatives if the patient has no assets. There are many people who choose not to work a lot of them British.

That sits fairly and squarely on the city council. If they cannot manage their budgets then they should not be working there.
Many councils always maintain a balanced budget, in fact I know of one council that hasn't raised their council tax for years!