Author Topic: fish farms,solution or polution,.??  (Read 246 times)

Alfred

fish farms,solution or polution,.??
« on: May 25, 2019, 11:13:40 AM »
With the worlds oceans having serious problems with plastic which is seriously affecting many fish species,

is it possible that larger or bigger fish farms will eventually take over supplying to fish, to fish mongers or  fish and chip shops, that is  fish that would have normally have been caught in the oceans, now getting contaminated,.,

so in order to safe guard people who love their fish and chips , could this be another way of  having your fish and eating it, without the worry of plastic particles also included in the fish,

Q; do you have any views regarding the fish we eat , and is there an alternative or better solution to solving pollution,??

Michael Rolls

Re: fish farms,solution or polution,.??
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 11:41:45 AM »
Fish farms, properly run, do seem a very good idea to me.
Years ago Veronica and I stayed at a very nice hotel on Mull and during dinner we saw that a chap at another table was enjoying salmon, which was not on the menu. Veronica loved salmon, so the next morning I had a word with the manager - he said that because the supply of salmon was very unreliable, they never showed it on the the menu.
'Will it be available tonight?' I asked.
'Yes,' he said, ' but it will be wild salmon.'
'I don't care if it's bloody furious, just so long as it's salmon!'
He laughed, and that evening we had delicious salmon steaks
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Akbuk

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 07:22:19 PM »
Where we lived in Turkey there was a fish farm down the road, I reckon about 20 enclosures. Handy when having a BBQ, the guy would row out & net how many fish you wanted.
I never thought anything about the environment but within a week they all got removed, due I was told to the damage they caused to the seabed. These were close to the shoreline, they could be rebuilt but only in much deeper waters. Feed & waste then had a chance to disperse more thinly over a much wider area.
I’m a real he/him.

zoony

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 07:27:57 PM »
What I know of fish farms, which is not a lot, leads me to believe that many of them, especially the salmon farms, have problems with parasites and flaccid, tastelessly-fleshed fish due to their poor diets and lack of swimming space.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.