Author Topic: "Home" or not?!  (Read 1245 times)

Emmaline

Re: "Home" or not?!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2019, 04:37:01 PM »
Just a few pictures of the place where I am living.
There is also a small shop and a hairdresser plus a bar lounge, library and an activities room here.
The picture at the bottom shows the café and then we have a restaurant as well.

All the world is mad except thee and me and even thee's a little odd!

Scrumpy

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 05:03:55 PM »
Emmaline.. The cafe reminds me of the eating place we had at the Majestic cinema in the sixties.. It looks really trendy..

Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

zoony

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2019, 06:30:48 PM »
Easy to clean too!  ;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Audrine

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2019, 09:36:31 PM »
Such great pics Em, I assume it is for seniors. I'd live there in a minute.

Diasi

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2019, 10:58:18 PM »
Looks like cross between a Travel Lodge & a 1960's Wimpey Bar.

It wouldn't suit me.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

GrannyMac

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2019, 11:17:49 PM »
If the day comes when I'm on my own, I'll downsize happily into a flat.  I'd prefer one in an Extra Care facility, even if I'm capable of managing independently.  Its like an insurance, there if its needed.

https://www.independentage.org/information/advice-guides-factsheets-leaflets/sheltered-housing-and-extra-care-housing

Living in the right environment can delay the need for care, can help quicker discharge from hospital, and can take away worries from the family.  Sadly people often wait too long before making a decision, and struggle on in unsuitable housing.  I like where we live, but we've moved several times, and I'm not emotionally tied to the house.  I can take anything of sentimental value with me.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Emmaline

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2019, 07:48:33 PM »
That's very true GrannyMac, I was on the council list for changing my flat as I was on the first floor and the stairs were getting too much for me but I found it very difficult to move as I had such a beautiful view of the park opposite from my window the result being that my daughter had to do it in a rush when I came out of hospital after being ill.. Initially I was in a very tiny little place but eventually managed to get transferred to here.
I have found that those people who can get about reasonably well and go for trips into the city etc. are the ones who seem to be more settled and content to be here and I'm sure it's more to do with the fact of feeling independent.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2019, 08:05:21 PM »
Every now and then I have this worry. What if I can no longer drive? I live in a big bungalow - now alone having lost Veronica and Fleur our little dog - on the edge of 3 miles of farmland. The thought of trying to condense all that I have in the way of books, a workshop, DVDs, all those sort of things, is quite upsetting. I think it would, quite literally, drive me mad. Looking at those pictures, what I have around me in my office would fill such an environment to overflowing, never mind the rest of the house.
I have always claimed that growing old is better than not doing so - but could I be wrong?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2019, 10:20:19 PM »
Every now and then I have this worry. What if I can no longer drive? I live in a big bungalow - now alone having lost Veronica and Fleur our little dog - on the edge of 3 miles of farmland. The thought of trying to condense all that I have in the way of books, a workshop, DVDs, all those sort of things, is quite upsetting. I think it would, quite literally, drive me mad. Looking at those pictures, what I have around me in my office would fill such an environment to overflowing, never mind the rest of the house.
I have always claimed that growing old is better than not doing so - but could I be wrong?
Mike

We're already discussing getting rid of 'stuff'.  After all, what use are material possessions if we can't use them or enjoy them?  We have boxes in the loft we brought nearly 15 years ago when we moved here, and most haven't been touched since then.  My OH gave some of his musical equipment to our son last time he was here.  He's got a big house, and a big garage/workshop, so he was happy to take them, and we know he'll use them.

R. Gervais

Emmaline

« Reply #24 on: Jun 01, 2019, 01:49:17 PM »
All the time and effort it requires to get stuff sorted and get rid of is so overwhelming and I spent ages doing just that but barely touching the job .. plus I think that we tend to hold on to things because it makes us feel better especially if we have lost a partner. I have many times suddenly thought of the delicious chutneys, jams and preserves that I had done which all had to be turfed out at the last minute as well as many other things .. it is a very traumatic experience whether it's a planned event or not.
As for the question of euthanasia it isn't something that I have ever considered and even though I was asked about DNR which I agreed to when I was at deaths door I cancelled it later as I am aware that the paramedics etc. wouldn't continue if they deemed it unnecessary.

On a lighter note ..  ;D  .. I've had one or two people/friends phoning or calling in to see me which is very uplifting .. makes all the difference!

mick607

« Reply #25 on: Jun 01, 2019, 03:16:01 PM »
My daughter & son in law been around today clearing the garden of pot plants garden ornaments etc. I'm amazed just how much stuff we need to get rid of. British Heart Foundation have collected some unwanted household items & coming back on Tuesday for another load.The plan is my wife & myself will spend more time together instead of lots of gardening etc.It's a big decision but been thought through very carefully.

GrannyMac

« Reply #26 on: Jun 01, 2019, 09:37:06 PM »
We do accumulate 'stuff' don't we.  I hope the move all goes smoothly.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #27 on: Jun 02, 2019, 06:15:18 AM »
I must admit that the thought of having to move into somewhere smaller horrifies me. I have a fairly large 4 bed bungalow - one bedroom used as an office - which might be claimed to be too big for one person, but when family come - all but one of them from over 300 miles away - I sometimes end up sleeping on the settee (no problem - it's very comfortable). A few hundred books (my late brother had over 4,000!) a garage with workshop over it, etc. Every square inch is full of memories - I couldn't bear to leave.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Sheila

« Reply #28 on: Jun 02, 2019, 08:37:25 AM »
We've thought about downsizing but don't like the idea of just one living room.  We get on very well but I need to get away from sport, have my own tv etc.  Friends have moved to a bungalow with just three rooms, small bathroom and kitchen.  I wouldn't like anything that small but they seem happy.

Scrumpy

« Reply #29 on: Jun 02, 2019, 09:00:46 AM »

I think we know when it is the right time to move on..
 I have a three bedroom house.. My kitchen is the heart of the house.. A big wooden table were buffets, Christmas dinners and many,many gatherings have and still do take place... It even has the original chewing gum that one of my grandchildren stuck to the underside .. Martha was so young when she did this.. and even remembers dong it...
 When it all becomes too much for me and I want/need less space then sadly I will move on.  Taking my beautiful memories with me.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.