Author Topic: 75th anniversary  (Read 2221 times)

Audrine

Re: 75th anniversary
« Reply #15 on: Jun 01, 2019, 09:38:16 PM »
Thanks for that great post Michael. You really know your history. You would have made a perfect student in my class.
I often wonder if kids of today get taught such classic things in history classes. Probably not! Audrine

Michael Rolls

« Reply #16 on: Jun 02, 2019, 06:09:46 AM »
Hisroy was my favourite subject at school (of that long ago - I'm part of history!  ;D )
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Audrine

« Reply #17 on: Jun 02, 2019, 05:11:04 PM »
Mine also, I beat out the boy who was top in all exams. Ronald Taylor where ever you are. Cheers

Johned

« Reply #18 on: Jun 03, 2019, 07:40:17 PM »
One of my uncles was on the beach on D-Day with a Royal Signals beach party laying telephone lines up and down said beach.  On the approach of the 50th anniversary of the invasion, I recall asking him if he would be attending the celebrations in France at that time.  He sharply rebuked me saying "Anybody who wants to commemorate that day must be sick; all I remember is the stink of death and the sight of bodies of good lads from both sides being slung into heaps!  No thankyou!"  Thankfully he survived and eventually ended up in Berlin.

Audrine

« Reply #19 on: Jun 03, 2019, 08:08:47 PM »
Poor man, what sad memories for him & so many others. How brave they were, lets never forget them.Audrine

Audrine

« Reply #20 on: Jun 04, 2019, 03:42:22 PM »
I watched the meeting with Theresa May vs Trump this morning. I am not a fan of Trump so have nothing positive to say about him. Hooray for the crowds of protestors, I'd be one of them if there.   
Theresa is leaving  office in two days, so whats the point?  

Ashy

« Reply #21 on: Jun 04, 2019, 03:46:53 PM »
Theresa leaving office in two days? I doubt it.

Bee

« Reply #22 on: Jun 04, 2019, 04:03:02 PM »
British marching band commemorates 75th anniversary of D-Day in Brussels

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/en/2019/06/04/british-marching-band-commemorates-75th-anniversary-of-d-day-in/
The only way is up....

Diasi

« Reply #23 on: Jun 04, 2019, 04:16:41 PM »

I don't think my father, who served through WWII cared about where they came from, they were all on the same side.  I think our alliance with Germany via the EU might have been harder to swallow.

Alliance with Germany, the EU dances to Germany's tune, as does the UK.

Germany won WW2 which finished when the EU, a Nazi idea, was formalised.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Bee

« Reply #24 on: Jun 06, 2019, 10:41:26 PM »
D-Day: ‘We didn’t want to fight’
Paul Golz was 18 when he was drafted into the German Army in 1943.
He was on watch during the morning of the D-Day landings and saw the first flares hit the beach.
He was captured by the Allies and kept as a prisoner until the end of World War Two.
He tells BBC Scotland’s The Nine that he was happy the invasion was a success.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-48549030/d-day-we-didn-t-want-to-fight
The only way is up....

Michael Rolls

« Reply #25 on: Jun 07, 2019, 05:51:40 AM »
Very poignant.
Mike

brian54

« Reply #26 on: Jun 07, 2019, 06:52:16 AM »
The wars were a total waste. Just taking an example we could have been 10 years further on in treating cancer for example and other problems like dementia.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #27 on: Jun 07, 2019, 07:13:05 AM »
The wars were a total waste. Just taking an example we could have been 10 years further on in treating cancer for example and other problems like dementia.
Regarding WW1 I would agree with you - and the treaty of Versaille had a fair amount to do with the rise of Hitler, but once Hitler was in power it was a case of we were where we were. Hitler started WW2 despite attempts to satisfy him at the expense of other countries and eventually war was inevitable - it was either that or submit to that loathsome regime. And if we hadn't fought, but had given Hitler a clear run - might the USSR also fallen?
Just to remind folk what we were up against :-

This is the text of a speech given in 1941 by Reichminister R.W. Darre:-

As soon as we beat England we shall make an end to you Englishmen once and for all. Able-bodied men and women will be exported as slaves to the Continent. The old and the weak will be exterminated. All men remaining in Britain as slaves will be sterilised; a million or two of the young women of the Nordic type will be segregated in a number of stud farms where, with the assistance of picked German sires, during a period of 10 or 12 years, they will produce annually a series of Nordic infants to be brought up in every way as Germans. These infants will form the future population of Britain. They will be partially educated in Germany and only those who fully satisfy the Nazis' requirements will be allowed to return to Britain and take up permanent residence. The rest will be sterilised and sent to join slave gangs in Germany. Thus, in a generation or two, the British will disappear.

This wasn't some secret policy; it was a speech given in public and presumably intended to strike terror into British hearts. Fortunately it failed.
Mike

brian54

« Reply #28 on: Jun 07, 2019, 07:54:31 AM »
Hitler was just a nutter who got in to power and had to be stopped. In some ways he did a lot of good for Germany for example he was responsible for the autobahns. A lot of people got work and the German people followed him. I spoke to a lot of German people and they did not want the war. I think if Hitler had applied himself properly he could have done a lot of good worldwide and the great depression  of the 30s could have been avoided.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #29 on: Jun 07, 2019, 08:07:03 AM »
Brian
You're getting you history a bit mixed up. The maximum effect of the great depression hit Germany very, very hard causing hyper-inflation, runs on the banks, etc., in 1931. Hitler didn't come into power until August 1934. The great depression and the distrust in the existing Weimar Republic that it engendered in the German people was one of the reasons that Hitler came to power. He promised to sort it out, and they believed him, and in a way, I suppose you could say that he did - pity about the 60 million premature deaths his 'sorting out' triggered.
Oh, and the autobahns - he had those built to enable raid troop movements.
Mike