Author Topic: too many repeat shows on the t.v  (Read 1010 times)

Alfred

too many repeat shows on the t.v
« on: Jun 08, 2019, 08:01:12 AM »
Unless its me there are a few antique shows on the t.v and over time for me it becomes boring too many experts,  the same for cooking as it seems almost everyone is a chef and they all try to tell us the best way to either cook or make food exciting,

then comes detectives films, for example murder she wrote seems to go on for ever , Poirot by Agatha Christie is another one, that although many stories are good, they've had there day, and so  were bombarded with yet more of the same ,

of late for a nice refreshing change comes the repair shop., and better still is the latest, a  farmers market. a refreshing tv show ,showing us each week the many and varied life styles of farming in general,

many  farmers having small holdings , were the animals  and vegetables that they show at county fairs, a nice day out for people to enjoy  as the animals are shown,. From pigs, horses, sheep , cows, and so on,  the lucky ones win rosettes (ie) 1st 2nd &3rd ,

Q; so do you think there are too many repeats and what would you like to see on the box for a nice change,.

Alex22

Re: too many repeat shows on the t.v
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2019, 08:08:35 AM »
Absolutely Alfred !    however, my memory is not what it was and so I never remember the endings. ;D

Johned

« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2019, 02:34:06 PM »
Perhaps TV programmes would be more selective and of better quality if we did not enjoy full day programming but reverted to evenings only, as was the case years ago.  The only exceptions could be childrens' and schools programmes in the afternoons.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2019, 03:16:57 PM »
But what about night workers?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

mick607

« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2019, 03:28:39 PM »
I ceased to watch broadcast TV years ago. Absolute rubbish nowadays with far too many ads, yet viewers still fork out £150 a year to watch 99% drivel. Catch up TV & DVD movies is all we need !

Alfred

« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2019, 07:25:40 AM »
it strange seeing made for t.v programmes made by people who sadly are no longer with us , and unless its me even today  the so called comedians, are a different breed altogether,  as i try very hard to find something to laugh at ,???

where as in the past there was were  classical ones, tommy cooper,  spike Milligan, and the two Ronnie's, to name a few, had us in fits of laughter ,

jokes and antics which many of us quickly identified and quickly caught on, typical was the two Ronnie's and fork/ four / handles  /candles, do you remember that one,

it seems many  family shows have gone for ever,  or so it seems ,? as in the past Saturday and even Sunday nights was something many of us looked forward too,  as it brightened up the week ends, now as already been said become very boring,

why pay for a bbc tv licence for endless  repeats, ????some films made over forty years ago , nice for the youngsters , but boring for many of us,. Although the BBC, does at times show some  very good documenteries

Q; what  used to be  your favourite/s  tv programmes , and will you share them with us,.

sparky

« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2019, 07:32:49 AM »
One of the few good things about getting old,  I often get almost to the end of a programme, and suddenly realise its a repeat of the one I see a week ago. ;D ;D ;D

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2019, 07:43:31 AM »
Where to start? Going back to when we first had a TV in 1978 - I was just demobbed and my btrother and sister and I were still living at home, so with me working and with Vernon and Shiela no longer young enough for mum to stay home so was she, so at last we afford not only a TV but a phone as well! Luxury! Anyway - in absolutely no order at all
Gun Law
Wagon Train
Emergency Ward 10 (mum had been a nurse and I didn't have the heart not to watch it with her)
Saturday (or was it Sunday?) Night at the London Palladium
Cheyenne
Bonanza
Dr Who
Blake's Seven
Morecombe and Wise Show
Danger Man
Maverick
Z Cars
Softly, Softly
A Touch of Frost
Inspector Morse (why did they call it that? He was a Chief Inspector)
Lewis
Upstairs, Downstairs
Downton Abbey
Spooks
Line of Duty
Miss Marple (ONLY the Joan Hickson version)
Poirot
Time Team
Merlin
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1984)
Sherlock (except the last episode was rubbish!)
Robin of Sherwood (Good Lord - that was 1984-6. No idea it was that long ago! :'( )
The Two Ronnies

There must be others, but I guess that will do to be getting on with
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Jun 09, 2019, 07:44:45 AM »
Oh, and what happened to Westerns?
Mike

Ashy

« Reply #9 on: Jun 09, 2019, 08:12:29 AM »
There is an awful lot of TV to fill up these days.

StephenM123

« Reply #10 on: Jun 09, 2019, 08:15:33 AM »
The programmes that annoy me know are the pseudo reality ones such as so called documentaries about ambulance crew, A&E, police, etc. Initially they were something different but as they expanded it became clear situations were being engineered. In one the person jumped in the emergency vehicle and jumped out at the other end wearing a different uniform. Another time an operator took a serious call in a call centre and the other staff all looked round in horror - how did they know. The problem is they start as a reasnoble idea but then flog it to death and drag it down to the lowest common denominator. This was also done with cookery and home purchase/improvement.

I binged in older programmes the other day; Sweeney, Minder and the Professionals. What I like is they are self contained. Now you get a series where you must not miss an episode but the final o e usually disappoints.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: Jun 09, 2019, 08:23:37 AM »
Oh - I forgot Sweeny and Minder (only with Denis Waterman)
Mike

sparky

« Reply #12 on: Jun 09, 2019, 08:32:33 AM »

Oh - I forgot Sweeny and Minder (only with Denis Waterman)

Mike

Mike how could  you forget for a moment two of the best shows on the box?. :) :) :)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Jun 09, 2019, 08:41:14 AM »
In the words of Eccles 'Because I'm an idiot!'
Mike  ;D

Michael Rolls

« Reply #14 on: Jun 09, 2019, 08:43:30 AM »
Remember that sequence
Eccles Cry of pain
Seegoon What's wrong, Eccles?
E I broke my leg
S How did that happen?
E I hit it with this hammer
S Why did you do that, Eccles?
E Because I'm an idiot

Mike