Author Topic: Good University?.  (Read 706 times)

brian54

Good University?.
« on: Jun 08, 2019, 10:35:26 AM »
I know Cambridge is best according to the tables but I have to say best in what respect?.
I know times were different when I went to Cardiff University. Everybody got jobs by the end of the year of graduation.
I finished my exams on the Wednesday and my future employers wanted me to start work the next day. It was a graduate position. I did say that was a physical impossibility and I started on the Monday after.
When the results came through I told my employers. Nobody wanted to see my certificate.

Bobcat

Re: Good University?.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2019, 10:58:48 AM »
As your degree was in knitting I assume they just saw the cardigan you were wearing for your interview and gave you the job on the strength of that !!

GrannyMac

« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2019, 11:31:55 AM »
Different times, having a degree no longer guarantees a good career, or even a job! Unless my grandchildren have the ability to follow a career that needs a sensible degree, I'd encourage them to look at modern apprenticeships. 

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Raven

« Reply #3 on: Jun 08, 2019, 12:09:49 PM »
As your degree was in knitting I assume they just saw the cardigan you were wearing for your interview and gave you the job on the strength of that !!

Oh My  :o Here Puss Puss.  ;D ;D ;D

Dorsetmike

« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2019, 12:26:17 PM »
When I worked for Plessey in the late '70s, most graduates needed a further 5 years of "training" before they could be trusted to do much in the way of productive work; they may have had all the information in their heads but couldn't figure out how to use it.
These days there are too many graduates with either degrees that very few employers have a need for, or in some fields more graduates than there are jobs available, I know of some supermarket check out operators with degrees in English or History - probably with a few £thousands in student loans.
As Grannymac says - more apprenticeships make sense.
I'm like my avatar, a local ruin

brian54

« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2019, 12:53:00 PM »
My degree was in Business studies which was a combination of Economics, Accounts and Law.
I think I used about 20% of the knowledge in my work as I only worked for 1 employer.

sparky

« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2019, 01:22:50 PM »
Why do you need a degree as a pension salesman. it no different to a double glazing salesman, and they do not need a degree,

GrannyMac

« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2019, 02:19:53 PM »
My son has a degree in Business & Economics, it brought little success in job hunting in the 90s except for low paid admin work. He went back to uni and did a very practical IT course at Masters' level, and he's never looked back.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

mick607

« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2019, 03:36:23 PM »
I think the problem is two fold. Too many students chasing too few jobs & too many "Mickey Mouse" degrees. How Creative writing can lead to a university degree is beyond me just like doing a degree in "The Beatles" is !Proper degrees count not just a piece of paper.

Bobcat

« Reply #9 on: Jun 08, 2019, 03:51:41 PM »
When I worked for Plessey in the late '70s

I worked for Plessey from 1978, first at Cowes then in Liverpool, which site did you work at ??

Bobcat

« Reply #10 on: Jun 08, 2019, 03:54:50 PM »
Why do you need a degree as a pension salesman

Come on now, we all know that Brian was a spy working for MI5, that's why he is bound by the official secrets act and cant tell us who he really worked for, being a pension salesman was just a front, he was the original 008 (that just one better than 007 !!)

mick607

« Reply #11 on: Jun 08, 2019, 03:58:31 PM »
Come on now, we all know that Brian was a spy working for MI5, that's why he is bound by the official secrets act and cant tell us who he really worked for, being a pension salesman was just a front, he was the original 008 (that just one better than 007 !!)
A bleddy good pension too !

sparky

« Reply #12 on: Jun 08, 2019, 04:43:51 PM »

Come on now, we all know that Brian was a spy working for MI5, that's why he is bound by the official secrets act and cant tell us who he really worked for, being a pension salesman was just a front, he was the original 008 (that just one better than 007 !!

Yeah maybe all these strange people he comes across every day, are really undercover MOD Plod keeping an eye on him,

StephenM123

« Reply #13 on: Jun 08, 2019, 08:35:57 PM »

Come on now, we all know that Brian was a spy working for MI5, that's why he is bound by the official secrets act and cant tell us who he really worked for, being a pension salesman was just a front, he was the original 008 (that just one better than 007 !!

Yeah maybe all these strange people he comes across every day, are really undercover MOD Plod keeping an eye on him,

That's why he goes to strange pubs and drinks coffee! A Martini, shaken not stirred, would dull his reactions. His time in St Albans was probably spent at the nearby secret listening station in xxxxxxxxxxxxxx!

zoony

« Reply #14 on: Jun 08, 2019, 09:56:26 PM »
The closest I ever got to University was having a girlfriend at Bangor and visiting her. I sometimes wonder if being a late developer was a good thing or not but looking back on the brilliant life I accidentally blundered through, it was...but then I would think that, wouldn't I?  ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.