Author Topic: TV licence  (Read 1081 times)

Michael Rolls

TV licence
« on: Jun 10, 2019, 02:23:04 PM »
Just been announced that the BBC is scrapping automatic free licences for over 75s - in future only those in receipt of pension credit will qualify - seems fair to me
Mike (I'm 81)
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

Re: TV licence
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2019, 02:31:16 PM »
Just been announced that the BBC is scrapping automatic free licences for over 75s - in future only those in receipt of pension credit will qualify - seems fair to me
Mike (I'm 81)

The licence should be scrapped for everyone over 75 & not just become yet another addition to the list of means-tested benefits freebies.
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2019, 02:35:02 PM by Diasi »
Make every day count. Every day is precious.

mick607

« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2019, 02:41:17 PM »
Me too.
Leave Means Leave !
[email protected]

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2019, 02:43:18 PM »
Mike (I'm 81)

Seems fair to me too.
The only people who profit from prohibition are gangsters and undertakers..

Diasi

« Reply #4 on: Jun 10, 2019, 02:46:26 PM »
It would seem fair to me if I was getting Pension Credit.
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2019, 03:21:33 PM by Diasi »

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2019, 03:26:16 PM »
Well I don't get pension credit either, and it still seems fair to me. To be honest, each time it came due - or rather would have done so - I donated the sum to charity because I was always uneasy at getting a freebie which I had done nothing to earn.
Mike

Diasi

« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2019, 03:33:30 PM »
Well I don't get pension credit either, and it still seems fair to me. To be honest, each time it came due - or rather would have done so - I donated the sum to charity because I was always uneasy at getting a freebie which I had done nothing to earn.
Mike

To me it's just been added as another box to be ticked on the 'reasons not to make provision for old age' sheet.

Also why only over 75's on Pension Credit & not everyone in receipt of a means-tested benefit.

I would argue that there isn't anyone who can't afford 150 quid a year for a TV licence, means-tested benefits or not.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #7 on: Jun 10, 2019, 03:34:16 PM »
whilst, as I said, I feel the idea is fair, I was surprised to read this snppet in the BBC Website articel:-

'A report looking at free TV licences for the over-75s suggests older households have seen "a marked improvement" in their living standards since the policy was introduced.

The BBC-commissioned report said pensioners are now less likely than any other age group to live in poverty.'

Hardly gels with much else we have heard over the years - do folk believe it? Bearing in mind my innate scepticism over anything emanating from the BBC nowadays, I do find it hard to believe.
Mike

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Jun 10, 2019, 03:36:49 PM »
To me it's just been added as another box to be ticked on the 'reasons not to make provision for old age' sheet.

Also why only over 75's on Pension Credit & not everyone in receipt of a means-tested benefit.

I would argue that there isn't anyone who can't afford 150 quid a year for a TV licence, means-tested benefits or not.
Fair point
Mike

stellamaris

« Reply #9 on: Jun 10, 2019, 03:37:30 PM »
I haven't heard the latest, but it seems totally unfair to me.  In my limited circle I know a few people who have exceed the pension credit limit by about 5 or less per week.   The BBC seem to be inciting a bidding war to see who will offer to fund the free licences.   I suppose this might affect the likes of Virgin and Sky because they could lose custom if people can't afford the tax for the BBC.  Perhaps they will lower their fees to cover it!!!! Probably not.

I wonder how the BBC can check who is on Pension Credit.  If they are allowed access to this sort of information nationwide, then this is certainly the thin edge of the Big Brother wedge.

It's OK if you can afford to donate what you consider freebies, then good for anyone who does that.  But it doesn't give them the right say who should be allowed to have it and who should not be allowed to have it.  Donate your licence money to the BBC so they don't have to charge someone else who feels the benefit of not having to pay. That would be real charity.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty

minniemouse

« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 2019, 03:40:57 PM »
The television licence is outdated.  I hardly watch BBC anyway.
I saw an ad for burial plots.  I thought to myself, "this is the last thing I need".

sparky

« Reply #11 on: Jun 10, 2019, 03:45:17 PM »
Not quite true,, as I understand it until now the government have funded the over 75 free licence, but have now put the onus onto the BBC , who say they will not or cannot fund it, so its  more a case of government, screwing pensioners who already get a p**s poor pension by comparison to many other countries.

stellamaris

« Reply #12 on: Jun 10, 2019, 03:52:38 PM »
That's more or less what I was saying Sparky.   I missed out the bit about let's see which political party offers to fund the licence.   My money is on Corbyn, mainly because he finds it easy to find the money and also because it was David Cameron's government who put the onus on the BBC in return for something or other [letting them increase the licence I think].

P.S It definitely won't be the LibDems.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty

Raven

« Reply #13 on: Jun 10, 2019, 03:55:52 PM »
The television licence is outdated.  I hardly watch BBC anyway.

Yes, that's my way of thinking too.

Diasi

« Reply #14 on: Jun 10, 2019, 03:59:47 PM »
I haven't heard the latest, but it seems totally unfair to me.  In my limited circle I know a few people who have exceed the pension credit limit by about 5 or less per week.   The BBC seem to be inciting a bidding war to see who will offer to fund the free licences.   I suppose this might affect the likes of Virgin and Sky because they could lose custom if people can't afford the tax for the BBC.  Perhaps they will lower their fees to cover it!!!! Probably not.

I wonder how the BBC can check who is on Pension Credit.  If they are allowed access to this sort of information nationwide, then this is certainly the thin edge of the Big Brother wedge.

It's OK if you can afford to donate what you consider freebies, then good for anyone who does that.  But it doesn't give them the right say who should be allowed to have it and who should not be allowed to have it.  Donate your licence money to the BBC so they don't have to charge someone else who feels the benefit of not having to pay. That would be real charity.

I don't regard the 'free' TV licence & the 'free' bus pass as being free.

I regard both as an extremely small rebate from all the income tax I've paid & am still paying.

A bit like EU membership.