Author Topic: TV licence  (Read 2701 times)

Cassandra

Re: TV licence
« Reply #15 on: Jun 10, 2019, 04:25:18 PM »

Another cynical Conservative stealth tax. Thats 154 of the Winter Warming allowance (their next target) back in one go.

The machiavellian BBC awaited 'runners & riders day listings' for the joustings to coronate the next liar in chief, to craftily declare this divisive ageist increase.

A plague on both their rotten house's.

Ashy

« Reply #16 on: Jun 10, 2019, 04:31:02 PM »
The whole concept of putting a tax on TV sets is arachnoristic. 
LEAVE MEANS LEAVE

Cassandra

« Reply #17 on: Jun 10, 2019, 04:42:19 PM »
The whole concept of putting a tax on TV sets is arachnoristic.

Never could stand spiders meself  :D

xetog

« Reply #18 on: Jun 10, 2019, 05:46:50 PM »

Sorry, I have posted on this in another area and failed to see it here.  I object to it for three reasons:
1, I was given it and now it will be taken away.
2, The BBC promised that for the Government to allow various other freedoms from their control the would honour the over 75's free licenses.
3, It is not a license to watch the BBC, but the broadcasts of any other company.  I would happily stop watching BBC if I could opt out of the TV license which is really a tax to view.  If the BBC would stop overpaying its executives and nonentities like Lineker, et al, I might feel a bit more sympathetic.

Mike.X
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

mick607

« Reply #19 on: Jun 10, 2019, 05:51:10 PM »
I only watch DVDs & UKTV so I don't need a TV license & not had one for fifteen years !
Leave Means Leave !
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

« Reply #20 on: Jun 10, 2019, 07:12:49 PM »
Sorry, I have posted on this in another area and failed to see it here.  I object to it for three reasons:
1, I was given it and now it will be taken away.
2, The BBC promised that for the Government to allow various other freedoms from their control the would honour the over 75's free licenses.
3, It is not a license to watch the BBC, but the broadcasts of any other company.  I would happily stop watching BBC if I could opt out of the TV license which is really a tax to view.  If the BBC would stop overpaying its executives and nonentities like Lineker, et al, I might feel a bit more sympathetic.

Mike.X
Agree with you
mike
The older I get, the better I was!

Goingtoseed

« Reply #21 on: Jun 10, 2019, 07:32:18 PM »
Not quite true,, as I understand it until now the government have funded the over 75 free licence, but have now put the onus onto the BBC , who say they will not or cannot fund it, so its  more a case of government, screwing pensioners who already get a p**s poor pension by comparison to many other countries.

I don't agree with you. At the age of 75+ not many will be able to function as they did when in their 50's. Age always seems to bring with it a level of disability.
With that in mind I fail to understand why we do not take advantage of the welfare state and get our claims in for say Attendance Allowance. That particular benefit not only gives you up to an extra 86 a week each and it is not means tested nor is it related to National Insurance paid. It also acts as a 'passport' to other financial claims.
Take a couple over 75 who have some health issues could well see their total joint income rise to 650 a week (which is the minimum that the government say that couple need to be able to get by on) by means of maximising their welfare benefits entitlement. That would amount to a joint gross annual salary in excess of 44,000 a year.

In a way pensioners today have never had it so good financially and being asked to fund a TV licence is chicken feed for those who take advantage of what the government offer.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #22 on: Jun 10, 2019, 07:43:41 PM »
Another cynical Conservative stealth tax. Thats 154 of the Winter Warming allowance (their next target) back in one go.

To be honest in my opinion, very few households actually need that payment. The vast majority of us budget for our fuel costs across the 12 months. You pay an equal monthly amount to the provider based on what you will likely use across the year.
In the summer you build up a healthy credit balance which goes towards the increased usage in the winter.
We currently pay 120 a month for heat & light with a longstanding account with Scottish Power. At the end of the year there would normally be a couple of pounds in credit/debit. We have no need for the allowance as our annual bill has already been covered.
I issue a cheque to the local Salvation Army in the amount that the government give us, which helps towards the provision of winter accommodation and food for those less fortunate.

If the government cancelled this annual payment they would not be hurting us, they would be hurting those that are so desperately in need.

sparky

« Reply #23 on: Jun 10, 2019, 08:07:11 PM »
While I will not have a problem paying for a licence, I am sure that on top of crippling energy costs, council tax, etc,  many pensioners living on their own will struggle,

zoony

« Reply #24 on: Jun 10, 2019, 09:28:37 PM »
The lady who helps me with housework occasionally is older than I but still lives in rented accommodation which she can barely afford on her state pension, fortunately she still enjoys good health. Somebody I admire a lot.
" There ain't no Devil, it's jus' God when he's drunk.."

Tom Waites

VFouR

« Reply #25 on: Jun 10, 2019, 10:23:43 PM »
Is it correct that, if ANY of your equipment is capable of receiving BBC TV broadcasts you HAVE to have a licence?
Thanks.

zoony

« Reply #26 on: Jun 10, 2019, 10:38:00 PM »
Welcome to PF VfouR. That is what the BBC say and if you're watching their content it makes sense. Until they come up with a machine that isn't able to receive BBC I fear that they'll maintain that status quo as long as they can. Too much money involved not to, I guess.
" There ain't no Devil, it's jus' God when he's drunk.."

Tom Waites

GrannyMac

« Reply #27 on: Jun 10, 2019, 10:47:45 PM »
The lady who helps me with housework occasionally is older than I but still lives in rented accommodation which she can barely afford on her state pension, fortunately she still enjoys good health. Somebody I admire a lot.

Is she entitled to housing benefit zoony? If all she has is a state pension, I'd imagine she would be, and council tax benefit. 
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Aesop

Diasi

« Reply #28 on: Jun 10, 2019, 10:58:02 PM »
Welcome to PF VfouR. That is what the BBC say and if you're watching their content it makes sense. Until they come up with a machine that isn't able to receive BBC I fear that they'll maintain that status quo as long as they can. Too much money involved not to, I guess.

That's not correct, you need a licence to watch any live transmission or recorded live transmission from any broadcaster, plus any BBC programme on catchup TV or on demand TV on BBC iPlayer.

The BBC & the TV licence has always been a legalised fraud.

I've not listened to any radio programme on any channel for over 50 years & haven't seen a single BBC programme for probably 25 years.

The con trick is in the fact that virtually everyone watches the news as a live transmission but no other broadcaster gets any dosh from the licence fee.

I wouldn't pіss on the BBC Director General if he was on fire, unless I could pіss petrol, then I would.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/televisions/article/tv-licence-explained
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2019, 11:11:33 PM by Diasi »
Make every day count. Every day is precious.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #29 on: Jun 10, 2019, 11:20:49 PM »

Is she entitled to housing benefit zoony? If all she has is a state pension, I'd imagine she would be, and council tax benefit.

I agree but it does depend on her income and capital
For a single pensioner who is not disabled in any way and lives alone the government say that the minimum she would need to live on is 167.25 and with Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support it may well cover the whole of her rent and the Council Tax..