Author Topic: TV licence  (Read 1735 times)

Diasi

Re: TV licence
« Reply #45 on: Jun 11, 2019, 09:28:01 PM »
This has so infuriated me I came back on to add m y two-pennyworth!
Please sign this Age UK petition..........

https://campaigns.ageuk.org.uk/page/34266/petition/1?ea.tracking.id=1unr39mb

Thank you, together we can make a difference!

Signed & I added the reason for signing.

"A person can miss out on Pension Credit by having a small private pension that takes them a few £s over the limit & end up worse off than if they'd never bothered to pay into the private pension".

Although I'm well over the Pension Credit limit, it may be a factor that Age UK have never considered & might help those who are in this trap.
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2019, 09:37:28 PM by Diasi »
Make every day count. Every day is precious.

katkin11

« Reply #46 on: Jun 11, 2019, 09:38:19 PM »
I pay 12.00 per month for mine, dont mind but what i do object to is all these bbc presenters like Gary Liniker/Graham Norton and others getting the salary they do the BBC are quite willing to pay out big bucks for them but want to remove free ones for over 75s

Diasi

« Reply #47 on: Jun 11, 2019, 09:49:09 PM »
I pay 12.00 per month for mine, dont mind but what i do object to is all these bbc presenters like Gary Liniker/Graham Norton and others getting the salary they do the BBC are quite willing to pay out big bucks for them but want to remove free ones for over 75s

I wouldn't mind paying for a TV licence:

a) if the licence fees were shared between ITV, Sky, Virgin & all the other broadcasters.

or

b) if the fee is purely for the BBC, then BBC channels should be encrypted so that only licence holders can receive BBC broadcasts & those who want to watch BBC can buy a decoder box, just as those who want to watch Sky or Virgin have to buy one.

GrannyMac

« Reply #48 on: Jun 11, 2019, 11:06:04 PM »
Signed & I added the reason for signing.

"A person can miss out on Pension Credit by having a small private pension that takes them a few £s over the limit & end up worse off than if they'd never bothered to pay into the private pension".

Although I'm well over the Pension Credit limit, it may be a factor that Age UK have never considered & might help those who are in this trap.

Jointly, our income is above Pension Credit level, but not by a huge amount.  As our savings are dwindling, we may become eligible for council tax benefits, so I'd say we are in the large group of pensioners who have worked and saved, and have ended up only marginally better off than if we hadn't.  We can afford a TV licence, we pay for it now, but thats not the point. Signed.
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Aesop

Diasi

« Reply #49 on: Jun 12, 2019, 07:23:41 AM »

Jointly, our income is above Pension Credit level, but not by a huge amount.  As our savings are dwindling, we may become eligible for council tax benefits, so I'd say we are in the large group of pensioners who have worked and saved, and have ended up only marginally better off than if we hadn't.  We can afford a TV licence, we pay for it now, but thats not the point. Signed.

Well at least you can take comfort in the knowledge that your children, who presumably are high tax payers & who will have private pensions that are worth having, will be supporting a few Pension Credit recipients, & rightly so as it serves them right for bettering themselves & becoming high earners. ;D

My single daughter, who was a high tax bracket earner, packed in her job a couple of years ago, bought a house for cash in a cheaper area & now works for not much more than the minimum wage & hardly pays any tax or NI.
« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2019, 07:27:11 AM by Diasi »

minniemouse

« Reply #50 on: Jun 12, 2019, 01:15:19 PM »
There's a petition on line which has reached over 81,000 so far.  I couldn't retrieve the link but it's under Government petitions.
I saw an ad for burial plots.  I thought to myself, "this is the last thing I need".

sparky

« Reply #51 on: Jun 12, 2019, 01:30:08 PM »
 Minnie, I believe its well above that number already,  its great to see that the public are at last rising up on this and  many other issues, and showing all politicians  we don't intend being s**t on by our servant's any longer.

Bobcat

« Reply #52 on: Jun 12, 2019, 02:53:29 PM »
if the licence fees were shared between ITV, Sky, Virgin & all the other broadcasters

I think that Sky and Virgin are subscription channels and, as I understand it, are far more expensive than the BBC and ITV is paid through advertising so we all pay for it with the "stuff" that we buy. At least with the BBC you know exactly how much it costs you and you know how much they pay their top earners.

Bobcat

« Reply #53 on: Jun 12, 2019, 02:59:32 PM »

Diasi

« Reply #54 on: Jun 12, 2019, 04:04:34 PM »
I think that Sky and Virgin are subscription channels and, as I understand it, are far more expensive than the BBC and ITV is paid through advertising so we all pay for it with the "stuff" that we buy. At least with the BBC you know exactly how much it costs you and you know how much they pay their top earners.

That's not the point, I don't watch Sky TV subscription channels so I don't pay for a Sky subscription.

I don't watch any BBC but I have to pay for a licence that funds only the BBC.

minniemouse

« Reply #55 on: Jun 12, 2019, 04:26:14 PM »
I hope this link works

https://www.facebook.com/ageuk/videos/340086536675528/
That's the Age UK one.  Seems as though there's more than one petition.  The more the merrier.
I saw an ad for burial plots.  I thought to myself, "this is the last thing I need".

Goingtoseed

« Reply #56 on: Jun 12, 2019, 05:33:09 PM »
That's not the point, I don't watch Sky TV subscription channels so I don't pay for a Sky subscription.

I don't watch any BBC but I have to pay for a licence that funds only the BBC.

But you do have a television?
The BBC fee is not so that you can view a BBC programme, it is a fee that started off as a charge to have and listen to the radio that then moved to a TV that you could watch as well as a radio then onto just a TV.

As I have said before it is simply a fee that allows you to watch anything you want. No TV - no need for a licence.

Diasi

« Reply #57 on: Jun 12, 2019, 10:34:12 PM »

But you do have a television?
The BBC fee is not so that you can view a BBC programme, it is a fee that started off as a charge to have and listen to the radio that then moved to a TV that you could watch as well as a radio then onto just a TV.

As I have said before it is simply a fee that allows you to watch anything you want. No TV - no need for a licence.

As well you know the radio / TV licence started when there was only the BBC so if you had a radio or TV you had to be listening to or watching the BBC.

The radio licence was abolished.

If the licence is to cover watching any TV broadcaster why is the licence fee not shared between them all?

The only broadcaster that receives any money from the TV licence is the BBC, ipso facto the current TV licence is a charge to watch the BBC & semantics doesn't change that fact. 
« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2019, 10:47:51 PM by Diasi »

Roymar

« Reply #58 on: Jun 13, 2019, 09:44:11 AM »
Iíve been retired 30 years and as time goes on (In charge of 40 staff salary £14k) pension is less.  Perhaps it should be fixed at age 85 so that we could all look forward to it when we needed it.

sparky

« Reply #59 on: Jun 13, 2019, 10:10:41 AM »

Roymar, I have had the benefit of it for 14 years but could afford it, if scrapped,  but there must be many that struggle  financially  soon after retiring with the UKs pittance of a state pension, so far from changing it to 85, I would suggest it  at age 70, after all our governments don't give much away  to folks as reward  for a lifetimes work. it could easily be afforded, if we ceased handing out billions in  foreign aid, and housing and feeding illegal  incomers from around the world,   just too boost the egos  of our poxy politicians, 
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2019, 10:14:29 AM by sparky »