Author Topic: Ban prison sentences for unpaid council tax  (Read 1866 times)

sparky

Re: Ban prison sentences for unpaid council tax
« Reply #15 on: Jun 13, 2019, 11:37:46 AM »
Diasi, Yeah the politicians were just as braindead then, no allowance for the first child. that was when it was needed most .   I suspect that were many like us, losing one weekly  income, when  my wife gave up work to look after our new born .

Goingtoseed

Re: Ban prison sentences for unpaid council tax
« Reply #16 on: Jun 13, 2019, 04:54:13 PM »
Diasi, Yeah the politicians were just as braindead then, no allowance for the first child. that was when it was needed most .   I suspect that were many like us, losing one weekly  income, when  my wife gave up work to look after our new born .

But back then guys seemed to take on the responsibility of maintaining their wife and children by working. It was rare for mums not to go out to work until the youngest was at senior school.
We looked at it that the responsibility of earning the money was mine and mine alone whereas my wife had a full time job bringing up our two children and making a home for us all.
My wife finished work when she was pregnant with the twins when she was 30 - in 1974 and has never worked since. I have provided for her for the past 45 years.

Today it's a case of separate bank accounts - what's mine is mine alone and expecting his wife to also pay half towards all of the bills.
Certainly not what you would call a family unit.