Author Topic: Bags for our unwanted clothes  (Read 1387 times)

Goingtoseed

Bags for our unwanted clothes
« on: Jun 13, 2019, 11:22:03 PM »

Apart from the 'over 50's life policy' letters that I get at regular intervals, I get a ridiculous amount of folded up plastic bags to be used to hand over all of your clothes you no longer wear.

On the face of it they seem genuine 'charities' that is until you read the small print. They only pass over approx. 1% of what is made from those clothes the rest ends up in in a bank account in Jersey!!

Four of the blighters this week alone popped through the letterbox for four different 'charities' delivered by the same middle eastern kid riding a dodgy looking scooter.

zoony

Re: Bags for our unwanted clothes
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2019, 12:04:41 AM »
  It's a very successful and long-term scam which has been going for years. I have a particular bin which they're the perfect size to line. :)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

minniemouse

« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2019, 12:07:12 AM »
Some of the bogus ones are gypsies.  Even with the genuine ones, the bags are often stolen before they get to pick them up.  I'd rather take things to the Charity Shop.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Ashy

« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2019, 06:04:20 AM »
The bags are handy for rubbish bins. The companies that send them out and collect them presumably earn their living by sorting out the cloth and selling it. I think it mainly goes into building materials and paper.

GrannyMac

« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2019, 07:28:35 AM »
I never fill them, I use them as rubbish bags.  Unlike a lot of charities, BHF doesn't deliver bags, people ask for them in the shops if they want them.  If people can't bring their donations, BHF are happy to collect. 

It might surprise people what does get donated!  At least if clothes are unsaleable individually, textiles can be sold by weight.  Broken ornaments, cracked and chipped ceramics or glass can't be sold, similarly opened bath and cosmetic products, broken toys etc.  On the other hand, some donations are surprisingly valuable.  We get designer shoes and clothes, silver and gold jewellery, expensive household items, lovely toys.  Some of the better items go to Ebay,  If anyone has time on their hands, volunteering is a great way to fill it.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Raven

« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2019, 10:08:35 AM »
I also use them for the rubbish, I do often have clothes clearouts but I take them into Town to the Charity Shop myself. I know they are using them as I've often seen some of our stuff in the window and on the rails..

firenze

« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2019, 11:14:34 AM »
I Worked for BHFoundation both shop and sorting behind scenes into wool, cottons, saleable etc; the income from salvaged fabrics was worth having for the Charity. 
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Cassandra

« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2019, 02:08:52 PM »
  It's a very successful and long-term scam which has been going for years. I have a particular bin which they're the perfect size to line. :)

Me too, I get at least two a week, they must think our neighbourhood has excess wardrobes to accommodate Somalia alone. They come in very handy for using in the garage for waste dispersal.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Jul 01, 2019, 07:42:38 AM »
I've never had such bags - until reading this thread I didn't know they existed
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

GrannyMac

« Reply #9 on: Jul 01, 2019, 09:44:10 AM »
Probably because you're rural Mike. Easier to drop off and collect in more populated areas.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Sheila

« Reply #10 on: Jul 01, 2019, 10:31:12 AM »
When I volunteered in a charity shop I was told that the 'rags' are made into carpet underlay.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: Jul 01, 2019, 12:15:18 PM »
Probably because you're rural Mike. Easier to drop off and collect in more populated areas.
I'm sure you are right
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #12 on: Jul 01, 2019, 01:48:47 PM »
Me too, I get at least two a week, they must think our neighbourhood has excess wardrobes to accommodate Somalia alone. They come in very handy for using in the garage for waste dispersal.

They do indeed as we used to use the plastic carrier bags.

However, we won't use the bags for the childrens' charities for refuse disposal as it doesn't feel right.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)