Author Topic: Not good last night.  (Read 5236 times)

brian54

Not good last night.
« on: Jun 14, 2019, 11:06:14 AM »
I don't know the man well but people were saying he was very lucky to be with us.
Somebody then said it would have been better if he had died as he is only a pensioner and a liability to society.

Raven

Re: Not good last night.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2019, 12:41:02 PM »
What are you saying? You were out with someone you don't know? Why should he have died? Has he been left in a bad way after an accident? ……..Or what?  ??? ??? ??? ???

brian54

« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2019, 01:01:49 PM »
What are you saying? You were out with someone you don't know? Why should he have died? Has he been left in a bad way after an accident? ……..Or what?  ??? ??? ??? ???

I had not seen the patient for a few weeks but if I had only seen him for the first time I would have not known there was anything wrong. He is driving and dog walking.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2019, 01:41:26 PM »
I don't know the man well but people were saying he was very lucky to be with us.
Somebody then said it would have been better if he had died as he is only a pensioner and a liability to society.

Been the subject of many a discussion. Her indoors and myself thought long and hard about this - what are the positives for society at large to have a continuing abundance of retirees.

When you pack up work and start to claim your state pension along with a host of other benefits linked to the deterioration of health you generally stop contributing to the Treasury via tax and NIC.
When you think about it those that are of State Retirement age take more out than they put in. Yes they pay VAT on the goods that they purchase but that goes across all ages.

Looking at it from an accountancy point of view the negatives generally outweigh the positives. If the retirees were a business and this was happening at board room level - my advice would have been to sell up, close down or go into voluntary administration.

So your friend is completely right with those over State Pension age they are a drain on the finances of this country, even more so if you include what they cost the NHS.

The result of our discussion was that if the government made an offer to cover the cost of a decent funeral, buy a plot to plant us in and provide a half decent wake for those left behind all they need do is send us a 'DIY' kit to do the decent thing for society.

brian54

« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2019, 02:26:10 PM »
I don't agree in my case I will take more than I put in. The tax I pay comes to more than my state pension. I also pay VAT and all the other taxes like council tax. My occupational pension comes from the private sector.

Cassandra

« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2019, 02:34:43 PM »

Been the subject of many a discussion. Her indoors and myself thought long and hard about this - what are the positives for society at large to have a continuing abundance of retirees.

When you pack up work and start to claim your state pension along with a host of other benefits linked to the deterioration of health you generally stop contributing to the Treasury via tax and NIC.
When you think about it those that are of State Retirement age take more out than they put in. Yes they pay VAT on the goods that they purchase but that goes across all ages.

Looking at it from an accountancy point of view the negatives generally outweigh the positives. If the retirees were a business and this was happening at board room level - my advice would have been to sell up, close down or go into voluntary administration.

So your friend is completely right with those over State Pension age they are a drain on the finances of this country, even more so if you include what they cost the NHS.

The result of our discussion was that if the government made an offer to cover the cost of a decent funeral, buy a plot to plant us in and provide a half decent wake for those left behind all they need do is send us a 'DIY' kit to do the decent thing for society.

Logan's Run then for you?
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2019, 03:30:26 PM »
I don't agree in my case I will take more than I put in. The tax I pay comes to more than my state pension. I also pay VAT and all the other taxes like council tax. My occupational pension comes from the private sector.

Not many in your position Brian. Aren't you fortunate!
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

sparky

« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2019, 03:53:51 PM »
Having already drawn my state pension for 24 years, I intend hanging on for as long as possible to ensure I get back as much as possible of what they have screwed   off  me over my 51year working life, if I can hang on till I am 110 till I snuff it,  I will be well chuffed   ;D ;D ;D

MARTIN

« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2019, 03:55:34 PM »
What a load of old wafol  :(

Scrumpy

« Reply #9 on: Jun 14, 2019, 04:02:41 PM »

That's me for the chop then.. ;D

May I take this opportunity to thank all those people out there, like Brian, who pay vast amounts of money in taxes.. In order that I might benefit.
  Thank you for giving me the comfortable life that I, in my retirement , have become accustomed to.. I would also like to say a big thank you for allowing me to use the NHS when I feel ill.. Many thanks to my GP  who diagnosed my blood pressure and treated me accordingly..
Thank you for the free bus pass that some of us get and reduced entry fee at the National Trust.. Thank you to my hairdresser for having a pensioners day where hair 'Do's' and blue rinses are cheaper...
Last of all I would like to say a big THANK YOU to the fish bar in the town that offers pensioners a cheap fish'n chip lunch on a Friday..
  I am truly blessed and fortunate to be a pensioner at this time of plenty..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Ashy

« Reply #10 on: Jun 14, 2019, 04:50:38 PM »
So long as you are a consumer, nobody really cares whether you contribute anything or not. We have all contributed more than anyone who comes here from abroad.

Bobcat

« Reply #11 on: Jun 14, 2019, 05:23:30 PM »
We have all contributed more than anyone who comes here from abroad.

Are you including the two consultants who saved my wife's life, one from Egypt and one from Russia ??

GrannyMac

« Reply #12 on: Jun 14, 2019, 05:37:16 PM »
Similarly Bobcat, we are eternally grateful to the Pakistani consultant who finally diagnosed and operated on my OH when everyone else gave up.

We've had two Minis, they were a real money spinner for the UK motor industry. M&S has given employment to thousands. Neither company was started by an Englishman.  I could find numerous examples of immigrants who have been an asset to the UK, but I'm sure someone will find a way to prove that only those of us with pure British, or preferably English genealogy, has ever done anything to benefit this country. 

If anyone else here has had their DNA analysed they'll know what I mean.  I could have sworn I was Scottish, with a bit of Irish.  Lo and behold, there are English and other European traces in there too.  Nothing remotely exotic sadly. 😉 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Goingtoseed

« Reply #13 on: Jun 14, 2019, 05:50:25 PM »
Having already drawn my state pension for 24 years, I intend hanging on for as long as possible to ensure I get back as much as possible of what they have screwed   off  me over my 51year working life, if I can hang on till I am 110 till I snuff it,  I will be well chuffed   ;D ;D ;D

What you have paid in has absolutely no connection with what you are now taking out (Tax & NIC).
You will have helped many thousands in those 51 years paid millions to those that decided that work was not for them, that those young girls that realised that having more babies = more benefits, and that those who managed to hoodwink the DWP into giving them an unchallenged income from Invalidity Benefit and DLA. They all salute you for being such a kind benefactor.

Your State Pension is paid out of the contributions that others make today and tomorrow - there is no such thing as a savings pot where State payments are given.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #14 on: Jun 14, 2019, 06:00:02 PM »
So long as you are a consumer, nobody really cares whether you contribute anything or not. We have all contributed more than anyone who comes here from abroad.

Have we?

I can only quote my maternal grandfather and his two sons as an example. All three ran a farm from the mid 20's. They all dabbled in the black market in the 40's in a big way, they all had a reasonable income, yet, the farm and the family were never registered with the Inland Revenue or even the National Insurance office. The whole operation went on below the radar of everyone that is excepting the Ministry of ag & fish. No one paid any tax nor any NI.
Obviously when they came up for retirement all three had difficulty in claiming any State Pension. But, and as the good Lord said, 'all will be provided for'.
One way or another they all managed to claim some level of income from the DWP (DHSS) topped up of course with a little bit of the Black Economy on the side. One of the sons' had a nice little earner on the side renting out some of his pedigree racing pigeons for stud work.

They were all English (the pigeons included)