Author Topic: Online Payments, Changes on the Way.  (Read 1005 times)

Sheila

Re: Online Payments, Changes on the Way.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2019, 12:40:24 PM »
I've had an email from Virgin asking me to sign in and make sure my mobile number is correct.

Traveller

« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2019, 01:04:53 PM »
I haven't received anything about this from either Lloyds or TSB, but Mrs.T did receive an email from Halifax.  I'm wondering if these checks apply equally to internet banking and mobile banking, which are two quite different things.
You'll have had your tea.

Diasi

« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2019, 01:08:31 PM »
Lloyds Bank & Barclycard informed me a while back.

I already have text message verification for Yahoo & Google emails & for Amazon so credit  / debit card verification won't be a problem.

http://www.pensionersforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,20552.msg360141.html#msg360141
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

sparky

« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2019, 01:31:25 PM »
Yeah John Lewis do this  for some of my purchases  ,, No for all transactions  , I think if  its  a large amounts or some one off unusual   purchases.

mick607

« Reply #5 on: Jun 15, 2019, 04:45:21 PM »
Great idea BUT isn't the latest scam cloning peoples SIM card, cloning a SIM card to drain your finances ? Also stealing some ones identity.
I wouldn't dream of using a mobile phone in connection with any bank or ctredit card transaction.

Raven

« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2019, 05:04:41 PM »
No I have never used my phone to make any payments either, I bung my card into the wee machine and put in the Pin when asked, or use cash, I always get between £30 -£50 cash back each week from the Checkout Operator, It's been yonks since I used a Hole in the Wall Machine, too much card copying going on.

Coastal

« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2019, 03:34:03 PM »
In my opinion, the more ways you can pay for things, and the more ways these are connected to each other, the more options there are for a criminal to access your cash, I like to think that I'm very careful with my cash, but some people are so careless, with expensive phones hanging out of back pockets or placed on shop counters, it just makes it easier for the criminals, and the only good thing about that is, with all the easy touches about, why would they bother with someone like me who is careful  ;D
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

biglouis

« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2019, 12:04:00 AM »
Santander have been doing this for some time - years in fact. Every time I set up a new payee in online banking I have to get an OTP to my mobile.
I am not a big fan of mobiles but you dont have to get an expensive smartphone. Mine is a very old PAYG model which cost me $10 in Argos some years ago. My nephew keeps offering me his smartphones every time he upgrades but I dont want one. I use a phone for phoning people not for texting, taking photos, accessing the internet, etc.
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Jun 20, 2019, 05:24:41 PM »
I bank on-line with Lloyds, TSB, MBNA and Barclays. So far none of them have approached my iver this, which from little I understand about it, just seems an inconvenience to the vast majority
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

mick607

« Reply #10 on: Jun 20, 2019, 07:39:38 PM »
I called in to a city centre branch of my bank a couple of weeks ago. I alway's prefer to use the ATMs inside the bank.After inserting my card in to the ATM & requesting a cash withdrawal of £400 the message on the screen read "Please wait while we deal with your request" so I waited & waited, ater five minutes I summoned a bank employee to come over & take a look. Just keep waiting she said & then my card was returned but no money issued. The new sign on the ATM read " There was a problem, unable to process your request".The bank employee then advised me to use another ATM but my wife asked me to obtain a mini statement first to check if the cancelled transaction had been taken from my account.
Sure enough the £400 had been taken from my account. The bank employee took me to the customer service counter where a form eas filled in by a member of staff.It will take up to fifteen days to sort out I was told but we will send you a text message later today to advise what is happening with your claim.
The promised text never arrived so the next day I contacted the bank by phone, after nearly an hour on the phone & after making several promises to highlight my plight on social media etc I was told my money would be credited that day & was offered £25 as a gesture of goodwill for the wrong information I was given about the text message when I should have been told 48 hours.
I was told that since the introduction of new polymer bank notes thiis is a common problem. Therefore I will never use an ATM for cash withdrawals again, I will use the bank counter every time from now on.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: Jun 21, 2019, 05:19:42 AM »
That's worrying - if the machinery can't cope with the new notes. I have used an ATM several times since they were introduced without problems but who knows? Normally I get cash from my branch or by 'cashback' in the little local Co-op
Mike

sparky

« Reply #12 on: Jun 21, 2019, 07:04:43 AM »
I have never used an ATM, always top up my wallet float from bank counter, or my local post office.

mick607

« Reply #13 on: Jun 21, 2019, 08:28:50 AM »
That's worrying - if the machinery can't cope with the new notes. I have used an ATM several times since they were introduced without problems but who knows? Normally I get cash from my branch or by 'cashback' in the little local Co-op
Mike

That is the new norm here from now on Michael.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #14 on: Jun 21, 2019, 09:03:20 AM »

That is the new norm here from now on Michael.
I reckon you are right. When we moved up here - 2003 - the nearest Lloyds back was in the next village, just 2 miles away. Then the EU push for 'increasing banking competition?' meant that it became a branch of TSB and our nearest Lloyds is now in Carlisle  (I think - certainly the Lloyds website says no branches in Scotland) which is 173 miles away or a 7 hour, 346 mile round trip to 'pop into your nearest branch' which I still get advised to do from time to time.
That's not all, though. When the branch first became TSB it was, like its Lloyd's persona, open 5 days a week, 9:30 - 16:30 except Wednesdays when it was 10:00 - 16:30. Then they decided to close for lunch 12:30 - 13:30. Then about three years or a bit more ago, it was closed on Wednesdays. Now, from the end of next month it will only be open on Thursdays - 10:00 - 16:30, closed for lunch 12:30-13:30.
This is supposed to be a 'service' - actually more like a double fault!
I could close the Lloyd's account and transfer everything to TSB (!) but I have numerous DDs and SOs on Lloyds which is where my pensions are paid into, so it's just too much hassle - but thank heavem for on-line baking!
Mike