Author Topic: Bus Pass and TV licence petition  (Read 853 times)

12Michael

Bus Pass and TV licence petition
« on: Jun 17, 2019, 04:07:37 PM »
There is a e-petition which refers to the bus pass and over 75 tv licence it has 7300 signatures so far sand closes on June 23rd
Subject of petition refers to House of Lords wanting to dispose of both bus pass and TV licence 

Goingtoseed

Re: Bus Pass and TV licence petition
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2019, 05:58:34 PM »

I have my own opinion about the TV licence. For the sake of about 3 a week you get access to all of the TV channels. I honestly don't believe that pensioners in general that have an income greater than the Pension Credit limits can't afford that amount of money.

As for bus passes, I have one and so does my wife but in all of the 16 years that we have had them we have never used them.
I fully understand that there are pensioners that may well be disabled and their only available transport is public transport. For those they are entitled to a disabled person's bus pass, free of charge which is not means tested.

For the rest it could well be that they choose to use their ordinary pass because it is free whereas taxis or use of a personal car costs money.

Sorry but I don't believe that the majority of abled bodied pensioners don't have the resources to pay the bus fare.

Sheila

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2019, 06:04:27 PM »
I like my bus pass.  I can also use it on trains to Chester in one direction and Liverpool or Southport in the other. 
Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place.

GrannyMac

« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2019, 07:05:49 PM »
I use mine most days Sheila.  Goingtoseed, perhaps you live in an affluent area, but in my experience there are lots of pensioners whose disposable income is only marginally more than pension credit, especially those who are still paying rent and get no council tax benefit.

Having free transport reduces isolation in the older community, a big topic at the moment, as getting out and about is good for mental health.  If they means test bus passes, they should make the cut off significantly higher than Pension Credit level, or yet again, the frugal will lose out. 
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Aesop

12Michael

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2019, 07:55:58 PM »
I have had a active interest as to Bus Issues in my part of Northamptonshire ,and have seen bus routes cut firstly by county council subsidy withdrawals, and secondly  by lack of support in terms of passengers.
The Concessionary Bus Pass is governed by an act of parliament Bill , and each respective Government can alter as they please.
As to the TV licence I am under 75 , but feel that something should be done like a reduced age related yearly subscription say 2/3rds payment to those that can afford it, like other issues as to bus passes many not be aware that the following may interest.
1: If you live in Scotland or Northern Ireland you get it at 60.
2: England and Wales are the losers as its based on the ever increasing retirement age for men and women.
3:on a happier note you can get a National Express card for 12.50p for a third off ticket price, and a senior railcard same third off for 70 for 3 years or 30 for one year , and this comes in at 60.     

mick607

« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2019, 08:23:28 PM »
In England some local councils issue bus OAP bus passes to 60 years of age,Merseyside, Lincoln & London perhaps others do too.
Leave Means Leave !
[email protected]

prestbury

« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2019, 10:54:59 PM »
In England some local councils issue bus OAP bus passes to 60 years of age,Merseyside, Lincoln & London perhaps others do too.
My current pass is a Greater Manchester one but I have now moved to Cheshire east so will have  to change it next year. Both of these counties now only issue to people of current pensionable age.

12Michael

« Reply #7 on: Jun 18, 2019, 06:25:07 AM »
The government e-petition website refers to it , its reference is 159279 me thinks , It costs each respective County Council or metropolitan area 40,000 per year in bus passes , and get very little support from the Dept of Transport who should supplement this as well.
They pass this money to bus operators on there claims for xxxxxx passengers per month regardless of where they have travelled, some bus operators are not getting enough so therefore disband bus routes due to lack of passenger financial support.

Diasi

« Reply #8 on: Jun 18, 2019, 06:41:23 AM »

Lincolnshire certainly doesn't, it's State Pension age.
Make every day count. Every day is precious.

mick607

« Reply #9 on: Jun 18, 2019, 07:08:38 AM »
I stand corrected. My point was some councils do  &. Some don't.
Leave Means Leave !
[email protected]

Diasi

« Reply #10 on: Jun 18, 2019, 07:54:32 AM »
A bus pass is only any use if there are buses.
Make every day count. Every day is precious.

Sheila

« Reply #11 on: Jun 18, 2019, 08:35:59 AM »

or local trains (Merseytravel)
Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place.

Alfred

« Reply #12 on: Jun 18, 2019, 08:49:25 AM »
Hello 12 Michael,
 well the BBC has started the ball, rolling and i wonder whether or not councils will jump on the wagon and clamp down or stop bus passes as well. as it is many councils have ramped up car parking charges in many council run car parks so i begin to wonder what's next, ??

GrannyMac

« Reply #13 on: Jun 18, 2019, 09:07:57 AM »

When we were deciding on our current home, we chose to live near good transport links. As well as buses, the tram (which we prefer) is also nearby. We can catch a bus to both hospitals if necessary, and into town.  We're going to the cinema this afternoon, we won't go by car.  Parking is limited and expensive, plus we might have a drink when we go out. 🍻

I was part of a group working with the university looking at older people's housing, and one of the priorities that came up regularly was good transport links.   Even if older people can afford to run a car, driving may become unfeasible as we age. 
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Aesop

Goingtoseed

« Reply #14 on: Jun 18, 2019, 12:50:59 PM »
I use mine most days Sheila.  Goingtoseed, perhaps you live in an affluent area, but in my experience there are lots of pensioners whose disposable income is only marginally more than pension credit, especially those who are still paying rent and get no council tax benefit.

Having free transport reduces isolation in the older community, a big topic at the moment, as getting out and about is good for mental health.  If they means test bus passes, they should make the cut off significantly higher than Pension Credit level, or yet again, the frugal will lose out.

I have no idea what you mean by an affluent area. Yes, apart from London, my area is where you will find the highest house prices in the UK. The cost of living compared to say the Northwest is on average 30% higher - food, travel, etc.

Yet we have a large proportion of workers on the minimum wage + all civil servants, nurses etc get the same wage as they would in the cheapest area of Britain excluding London.

I receive Guaranteed Pension Credit to take our income up to what the government say we need to live on.
I get a payment of 50.20 per week to bring us up to that level.
In total our income from pensions etc is 425.80 a week. To that add the GPC payment brings our income up to 476.00 a week (the minimum amount we are said to need to live) Additionally we get between us another 236.50 a week as a contribution from the government (AA & PIP) to help pay for the extras in life that a disability brings to the table.
All in all our income is 712.50 a week which is the minimum that the DWP have assessed us as needing.
Now if that is what is meant by being affluent, then it is the government's fault, not mine.