Author Topic: Bus Pass and TV licence petition  (Read 854 times)

Diasi

Re: Bus Pass and TV licence petition
« Reply #15 on: Jun 18, 2019, 01:07:46 PM »
You need to get applying GrannyMac,

The qualifying figures for getting Pension / Guaranteed / Saving Credit seem much higher than I thought.
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2019, 01:26:27 PM by Diasi »
Make every day count. Every day is precious.

GrannyMac

« Reply #16 on: Jun 18, 2019, 08:05:37 PM »

I have no idea what you mean by an affluent area. Yes, apart from London, my area is where you will find the highest house prices in the UK. The cost of living compared to say the Northwest is on average 30% higher - food, travel, etc.

Yet we have a large proportion of workers on the minimum wage + all civil servants, nurses etc get the same wage as they would in the cheapest area of Britain excluding London.

I receive Guaranteed Pension Credit to take our income up to what the government say we need to live on.
I get a payment of 50.20 per week to bring us up to that level.
In total our income from pensions etc is 425.80 a week. To that add the GPC payment brings our income up to 476.00 a week (the minimum amount we are said to need to live) Additionally we get between us another 236.50 a week as a contribution from the government (AA & PIP) to help pay for the extras in life that a disability brings to the table.
All in all our income is 712.50 a week which is the minimum that the DWP have assessed us as needing.
Now if that is what is meant by being affluent, then it is the government's fault, not mine.

Do you live in the UK?  Have Age UK got it wrong? They quote GPC for couples as 255.  If it should be 476, then my OH and I and loads of other pensioners are definitely missing out!  Can you advise where I can find that info?
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Aesop

Diasi

« Reply #17 on: Jun 18, 2019, 08:42:49 PM »

Do you live in the UK?  Have Age UK got it wrong? They quote GPC for couples as 255.  If it should be 476, then my OH and I and loads of other pensioners are definitely missing out!  Can you advise where I can find that info?

The pension figure he stated was 425.80pw, it was the extra 50.20pw for GPC that took it to 476pw.

According to the DWP, these are the actual qualifying limits so either something's amiss or you & the vast majority of pensioners are losing out.

It'll definitely be worth you checking.

https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2019, 08:52:02 PM by Diasi »

mick607

« Reply #18 on: Jun 18, 2019, 08:47:01 PM »
I can only find tis. NB. PIP & AA are non means tested I believe.
Leave Means Leave !
[email protected]

Diasi

« Reply #19 on: Jun 18, 2019, 08:50:12 PM »
I can only find tis. NB. PIP & AA are non means tested I believe.

Yes, GM & I are only looking at the Pension Credit amount because as you say, AA & PIP aren't means tested.

GrannyMac

« Reply #20 on: Jun 18, 2019, 09:07:21 PM »
Yes, GM & I are only looking at the Pension Credit amount because as you say, AA & PIP aren't means tested.

Dead right, but your Govt link shows the same as my Age UK one, PC tops up to 255.25 for couples.  I can't see any mention of 425. Our income is between those amounts.  So I filled in the calculator quickly, and as I thought, we don't qualify.   So I'm no wiser.

I hope everyone who needs AA and PIP gets it, no argument about the extra for disability/illness.

Aesop

Diasi

« Reply #21 on: Jun 18, 2019, 09:20:24 PM »

Dead right, but your Govt link shows the same as my Age UK one, PC tops up to 255.25 for couples.  I can't see any mention of 425. Our income is between those amounts.  So I filled in the calculator quickly, and as I thought, we don't qualify.   So I'm no wiser.

I hope everyone who needs AA and PIP gets it, no argument about the extra for disability/illness.

Indeed, it is a mystery as I put in some random amounts over 255 & all of them came back computer says "no".

Except the 425 amount when the computer said "pіss-off you cheeky sod". ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2019, 10:07:52 PM by Diasi »

GrannyMac

« Reply #22 on: Jun 18, 2019, 10:43:15 PM »
 ;D ;D  at cheeky sod!

Seriously, I am baffled. I thought if GPC levels were as high as that, its not surprising that so many pensioners haven't claimed it, because 400+ a week doesn't feel like hardship!  I knew you'd be on the ball with it Diasi.  Perhaps GTS will point us to where there is any government information that states 476 is the minimum needed for a pensioner couple to live. As he said: 'In total our income from pensions etc is 425.80 a week. To that add the GPC payment brings our income up to 476.00 a week (the minimum amount we are said to need to live)'.

Aesop

Diasi

« Reply #23 on: Jun 18, 2019, 11:03:08 PM »
;D ;D  at cheeky sod!

Seriously, I am baffled. I thought if GPC levels were as high as that, its not surprising that so many pensioners haven't claimed it, because 400+ a week doesn't feel like hardship!  I knew you'd be on the ball with it Diasi.  Perhaps GTS will point us to where there is any government information that states 476 is the minimum needed for a pensioner couple to live. As he said: 'In total our income from pensions etc is 425.80 a week. To that add the GPC payment brings our income up to 476.00 a week (the minimum amount we are said to need to live)'.

I'm baffled as well because if GTS is correct it means that Age UK & presumably CA & all the other benefit advice agencies, have been dishing out the wrong advice to people.

zoony

« Reply #24 on: Jun 18, 2019, 11:25:47 PM »
  I must be living in a different country then. I get 150-odd per week. That's the amount the government says I need to live on.
The only people who profit from prohibition are gangsters and undertakers..

mick607

« Reply #25 on: Jun 19, 2019, 08:39:11 AM »
I once went to Age UK for advice & I'm sorry to say the were as much use as a chocolate teapot.
Leave Means Leave !
[email protected]

Diasi

« Reply #26 on: Jun 19, 2019, 09:46:58 AM »
I once went to Age UK for advice & I'm sorry to say the were as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I approached Age UK once, about the removal of the adult dependent allowance from the State Pension, & pointed out that my wife & I only received a single person's State Pension but when it came to council tax we were then billed as a couple.

All I got was some waffle about it being fair as it helped the younger generation.

Totally politically correct & 'woke'.
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2019, 10:44:06 AM by Diasi »

GrannyMac

« Reply #27 on: Jun 19, 2019, 11:18:04 AM »
One of the reasons I dislike council tax! Single person discount for someone paying high rate of income tax living next door to a couple on a limited income.  How is that fair?

Aesop

Goingtoseed

« Reply #28 on: Jun 19, 2019, 11:44:19 AM »

Hi, taking the figure of 476.00 a week.

The proviso is that both (husband and wife or whatever) each have as a minimum the lowest rate of Attendance Allowance. That is not difficult to attain that when you get past 70 living is that much more difficult for most. Even say Arthritis can have some effect on what people can no longer do when compared to when they were in their 50's. AA is one of the easiest benefits to get. In practice the form and the medical evidence you send in should be all that is required for an award to be given.

So, with those two awards in place (and they are generally given for an indefinite period of time and no independent DWP assessment)
the first figure as you so rightly point out is 255.25 a week. Add to that the disability premiums for a couple, another 131.70 a week. Then each claims to care for the other as is the norm in a relationship add another 73.70 a week of carers premium.
Under normal situations you then get the Savings Credit for having pensions etc of  15.35 a week.
All of that adds up to 476.00 a week. Then add another 50.20 a week to take the income to the minimum level of 712.50

Because I quoted our situation I get the enhanced rate of PIP - mobility and care - 148.85 a week whilst my wife receives the high rate of  Attendance Allowance because of Arthritis of another 87.65 a week.
This then gives a weekly amount of 712.50 a week which is the amount that the DWP say we need every week.
Additionally I get 100% discount on Council Tax and if we had a mortgage or rented you would get help with those as well.

The key to this is to seek professional advice, and look to see how your life is affected either because of disability or simply age. Attendance Allowance/PIP/DLA are the keys not only to a non means tested income but with the premiums attached to Pension Credit you effectively get it paid twice - the allowance itself and then a premium because you get the allowance.

Diasi

« Reply #29 on: Jun 19, 2019, 12:04:55 PM »
Thanks for the fuller explanation as it's certainly not made public knowledge on any of the Government information sites I've been able to find.

It's very useful advice & I'd encourage GrannyMac & anyone else who's on borderline private pension to look into it & get a professional benefit assessment.

There must be loads of pensioners who just accept the 255.25 Pension Credit limit as gospel & don't take it any further.