Author Topic: Bus Pass and TV licence petition  (Read 856 times)

mick607

Re: Bus Pass and TV licence petition
« Reply #30 on: Jun 19, 2019, 12:42:24 PM »
Hi, taking the figure of £476.00 a week.

The proviso is that both (husband and wife or whatever) each have as a minimum the lowest rate of Attendance Allowance. That is not difficult to attain that when you get past 70 living is that much more difficult for most. Even say Arthritis can have some effect on what people can no longer do when compared to when they were in their 50's. AA is one of the easiest benefits to get. In practice the form and the medical evidence you send in should be all that is required for an award to be given.

So, with those two awards in place (and they are generally given for an indefinite period of time and no independent DWP assessment)
the first figure as you so rightly point out is £255.25 a week. Add to that the disability premiums for a couple, another £131.70 a week. Then each claims to care for the other as is the norm in a relationship add another £73.70 a week of carers premium.
Under normal situations you then get the Savings Credit for having pensions etc of  £15.35 a week.
All of that adds up to £476.00 a week. Then add another £50.20 a week to take the income to the minimum level of £712.50

Because I quoted our situation I get the enhanced rate of PIP - mobility and care - £148.85 a week whilst my wife receives the high rate of  Attendance Allowance because of Arthritis of another £87.65 a week.
This then gives a weekly amount of £712.50 a week which is the amount that the DWP say we need every week.
Additionally I get 100% discount on Council Tax and if we had a mortgage or rented you would get help with those as well.

The key to this is to seek professional advice, and look to see how your life is affected either because of disability or simply age. Attendance Allowance/PIP/DLA are the keys not only to a non means tested income but with the premiums attached to Pension Credit you effectively get it paid twice - the allowance itself and then a premium because you get the allowance.
That must be the "Benefit Gravy Train" then. Many people in full time employment get nowhere near that amount.
Leave Means Leave !
[email protected]

Diasi

« Reply #31 on: Jun 19, 2019, 01:04:24 PM »

The proviso is that both (husband and wife or whatever) each have as a minimum the lowest rate of Attendance Allowance. That is not difficult to attain that when you get past 70 living is that much more difficult for most. Even say Arthritis can have some effect on what people can no longer do when compared to when they were in their 50's. AA is one of the easiest benefits to get. In practice the form and the medical evidence you send in should be all that is required for an award to be given.

So, with those two awards in place (and they are generally given for an indefinite period of time and no independent DWP assessment)
the first figure as you so rightly point out is £255.25 a week. Add to that the disability premiums for a couple, another £131.70 a week. Then each claims to care for the other as is the norm in a relationship add another £73.70 a week of carers premium.
Under normal situations you then get the Savings Credit for having pensions etc of  £15.35 a week.
All of that adds up to £476.00 a week. Then add another £50.20 a week to take the income to the minimum level of £712.50

Because I quoted our situation I get the enhanced rate of PIP - mobility and care - £148.85 a week whilst my wife receives the high rate of  Attendance Allowance because of Arthritis of another £87.65 a week.
This then gives a weekly amount of £712.50 a week which is the amount that the DWP say we need every week.
Additionally I get 100% discount on Council Tax and if we had a mortgage or rented you would get help with those as well.

The key to this is to seek professional advice, and look to see how your life is affected either because of disability or simply age. Attendance Allowance/PIP/DLA are the keys not only to a non means tested income but with the premiums attached to Pension Credit you effectively get it paid twice - the allowance itself and then a premium because you get the allowance.

In order to help those who are interested in this, can I clarify a couple of points.

Quote:"The proviso is that both (husband and wife or whatever) each have as a minimum the lowest rate of Attendance Allowance"

As you get PIP you don't qualify for AA so you just get PIP & your wife just gets AA?

Quote: "Then each claims to care for the other as is the norm in a relationship add another £73.70 a week of carers premium".

This intrigues me because don't the DWP ask how you can both care for each other when you both can't do things because you need care?

The reason I ask is that I have someone who turns to me for advice occasionally & you've opened up a whole new territory so far as benefits are concerned.

On second thoughts I think in future I'll refer anyone who asks me, onto Citizens Advice.
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2019, 01:09:36 PM by Diasi »
Make every day count. Every day is precious.

Maddie Malone

« Reply #32 on: Jun 19, 2019, 01:15:19 PM »
I thought the same Phil when I read that .
Iím not 100% sure but I donít think you can be a new claimant for PIP now when your  65  or over
Think it might be attendance allowance but if your already claiming PIP when you reach 65 then you can carry on. claiming it  .

Sheila

« Reply #33 on: Jun 19, 2019, 01:28:46 PM »

I disagree that Attendance Allowance is easy to get.  I tried to claim it for my mum when she was nearly 90 and had dementia.  It wasn't until I went to Citizens Advice and they helped that she got it.

This post from Goingtoseed seems immoral to me.  Sorry, don't mean to be rude.
Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place.

Diasi

« Reply #34 on: Jun 19, 2019, 01:35:23 PM »
Iím not 100% sure but I donít think you can be a new claimant for PIP now when your  65  or over
Think it might be attendance allowance but if your already claiming PIP when you reach 65 then you can carry on. claiming it  .

Yes, you're correct, PIP can now only be claimed between 16 & State Pension age, so that's one loophole closed.

That's an interesting view, in what way?

All I'm interested in is making sure that people know to get professional advice from the CA or other benefit advice service & his post shows why.
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2019, 01:49:25 PM by Diasi »

mick607

« Reply #35 on: Jun 19, 2019, 01:48:34 PM »
Also Carers Allowance (CA) is a working age benefit & finishes upon reaching retirement age.So, two OAPs cannot claim that benefit, also the CA weekly rate is £66.15 not the £70+ quoted by the op.
Leave Means Leave !
[email protected]

Goingtoseed

« Reply #36 on: Jun 19, 2019, 05:24:07 PM »

As a best guess estimate the government (DWP/HMRC) are confident in saying that they know of 1.3 million individuals/families that are entitled to Pension Credit but have not made a claim for it.
You are right most people just assume that the £255 is the top end limit.

Likewise what is also not known is that capital/savings has no upper limit unlike other means tested benefits.

Should someone have a Pension Credit entitlement to say £50 a week based on income they could legitimately have savings of £35,000 before they would lose all of the £50 Pension Credit. 

Goingtoseed

« Reply #37 on: Jun 19, 2019, 05:25:34 PM »
That must be the "Benefit Gravy Train" then. Many people in full time employment get nowhere near that amount.

I know but that is what the law says you are entitled to.

Diasi

« Reply #38 on: Jun 19, 2019, 05:28:41 PM »

I know but that is what the law says you are entitled to.

Posted on another thread but it fits here as well.

I think a lot of pensioners just have a look (& that includes me) at the headline figures on the various Government information pages & don't bother to stop & think how they can work the system to their advantage, thus missing out on potential benefit payments.

Many people just shrug off not being able to walk up & down stairs very well etc & get on with life but it might pay them to log such things with their GP in order to build up a picture for an AA claim etc.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #39 on: Jun 19, 2019, 05:40:28 PM »
In order to help those who are interested in this, can I clarify a couple of points.

Quote:"The proviso is that both (husband and wife or whatever) each have as a minimum the lowest rate of Attendance Allowance"

As you get PIP you don't qualify for AA so you just get PIP & your wife just gets AA?

Quote: "Then each claims to care for the other as is the norm in a relationship add another £73.70 a week of carers premium".

This intrigues me because don't the DWP ask how you can both care for each other when you both can't do things because you need care?

The reason I ask is that I have someone who turns to me for advice occasionally & you've opened up a whole new territory so far as benefits are concerned.

On second thoughts I think in future I'll refer anyone who asks me, onto Citizens Advice.

For a start it doesn't matter what disability benefit you get other than it has to be either Standard Care - PIP, lowest rate AA or middle rate care - DLA.

All three are the minimum you need to get the passport to other benefits. For Couples, both would have to have the minimum.

All the DWP is ask that each cares for the other for at least 35 hours a week. No one checks this.
Yes there has been a shift towards the DWP suggesting that there could be something iffy when each claims for the other and it becomes an appeal hearing at a Tribunal.
The DWP in defending an appeal cannot bring other benefit claims into the appeal. However they do inform the Tribunal that there is a carers claim involved and suggests that the Tribunal might like to consider this when coming to a judgement. Dirty tricks but this is the DWP for you.
The two things you have to consider are that the care you give cannot contradict the reason that you get an award.
It's no good saying that you have to push your wife's wheelchair all of the time but you claim that you cannot walk more than 10 metres!
It doesn't have to be physical care. Persuading, talking, supporting is also care.

Personally if I could reach out to the 1.3 million people and more I would strongly suggest that they all go and see AgeUK or the CAB and be honest in telling them of any difficulties you are finding yourself in because of either age, illness or disability.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #40 on: Jun 19, 2019, 05:44:35 PM »

Yes it would be AA. You can only have PIP and be over State Retirement Age if you were born after  8/4/13
For Pension credit it really doesn't matter which benefit you get as long as it is for the care element at the rates I previously reported

Goingtoseed

« Reply #41 on: Jun 19, 2019, 05:50:15 PM »
I disagree that Attendance Allowance is easy to get.  I tried to claim it for my mum when she was nearly 90 and had dementia.  It wasn't until I went to Citizens Advice and they helped that she got it.

Hence why I always suggest that claimants seek professional welfare advice when making the claim.
Why think it immoral? It's immoral that the government are aware of 1.3 million claimants that are entitled to Pension Credit but refuse to invite them to make a claim. It's also immoral that unless an aged claimant is told or becomes aware of the extra money from an Attendance Allowance award, the government could so easily include a slip of paper with the annual SRP updating telling them what they could possibly claim.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #42 on: Jun 19, 2019, 05:55:56 PM »
Also Carers Allowance (CA) is a working age benefit & finishes upon reaching retirement age.So, two OAPs cannot claim that benefit, also the CA weekly rate is £66.15 not the £70+ quoted by the op.

You are quite right in that anyone of SRP age and in receipt of their SRP cannot also receive Careers Allowance.
However because of this rule they become entitled to 'an underlying entitlement'.
As such and having this entitlement they would get £36.85 extra each in a Pension credit award as a premium.

Diasi

« Reply #43 on: Jun 19, 2019, 05:58:32 PM »
Well I can only speak for myself but I'd like to thank you for your posts which are far easier to understand than all the DWP information.

Using the benefit rules is no different from using the tax rules.

GrannyMac

« Reply #44 on: Jun 19, 2019, 06:25:54 PM »
What an eye opener!  We're both over 70, my OH has twice had open heart surgery, but apart from tiring more quickly and not being as fit as in our younger days, we'd have no grounds to claim any disability allowances. I'm also moderately deaf with hearing aids, but we see our minor issues as normal parts of aging, and wouldn't dream of claiming anything.  Different of course for anyone who needs a serious amount of help. I had no idea how much some households were getting. Obviously I was aware that non means tested benefits were payable for disability and incapacity, but I had no idea how much!

There are other members who may benefit from the information GTS, I hope they read this.
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Aesop