Author Topic: fish and chips.??  (Read 931 times)

Alfred

fish and chips.??
« on: Jun 24, 2019, 08:24:00 AM »
Unless its me i think buying fish and chips either from a fish shop, or even from super markets , it appears that the portions of fish are or seem to be getting smaller,.

some where in the distant past i remember going on a Friday night (on mums orders) when going  to the local fish and chip shop joining on the back of the queue and finally arriving at the counter where the fish then seemed to be  a lot bigger and even the chips were plentiful  even though the batter on the fish was nice and crunchy, the Friday night meal then was always a delight, and a joy, and without doubt very satisfying,.

Q; do you think portions of fish and chips are getting smaller with more batter on them which gives the impression that the fish is bigger than it is,

ronyork

Re: fish and chips.??
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2019, 08:35:36 AM »
A friday treat when a lad which then the average family family could afford /Rock eel/ Gurnet/ mother had Plaice  no taste like that today, or the smell,  take your own paper during the early days of the war.. I can smell it now, and of course add a wallie.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2019, 09:09:03 AM »
Haven't visited a chippy in many years, more's the pity, but our long ago local offered fish in, IIRC, three sizes - and the large size was LARGE!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

sparky

« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2019, 09:27:34 AM »
For years, most Saturday lunch was skate and chips, prepared and cooked by me,   my late wife, used to say, no chip shop could better them. only wish she was still here for me to do them for her.

Alfred

« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2019, 09:41:28 AM »
having started this post,. i remembered an aunt many years ago who liked nothing better than a nice sized lemon sole,.

and watching her eat it, made my mouth water even though my favourite was cod,
can you still buy lemon sole today, ??

Q; what other fish did you like that seems virtually rare today,.

Flying bomb

« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2019, 02:18:51 PM »

can you still buy lemon sole today, ??

Q; what other fish did you like that seems virtually rare today,.

Yes, I buy lemon sole quite often.
I haven't seen skate for years.  One could eat the bones of skate, being very soft.
If the Buck stops here how can the Doe go all the way ?

Albert.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2019, 02:20:39 PM »
A long time ago in Leatherhead there was a chippy which had a sign reading
'Chish and Fips'  and a sign pointing to the 'Par Cark'
Mike

Bee

« Reply #7 on: Jun 24, 2019, 02:44:30 PM »

Yes, I buy lemon sole quite often.
I haven't seen skate for years.  One could eat the bones of skate, being very soft.

I can still buy skate where I live but I prefer wings of maids.
The only way is up....

Traveller

« Reply #8 on: Jun 24, 2019, 05:44:48 PM »
When I were a lad, nobody ate skate or dogfish.  Haddock or cod was used in fish & chips.  I haven't bought fish & chips in ages.  The last time I did, it was from a mobile chippy on a campsite near Carlisle.  I was assured that they sold great food - but they were wrong - it was pretty awful.  I don't know if portions are getting smaller, but they do seem to be getting rather expensive.

However, this has reminded that I must buy some more Haddie and some Megrim or Witch. I'd prefer Brill, but it's not often available locally.
You'll have had your tea.

Scrumpy

« Reply #9 on: Jun 24, 2019, 05:50:33 PM »
Michael Rolls.. I live in Reigate which is close to Leatherhead.
 I wonder if the chippy is still a chippy.. !
  ‘ Chish and  Fips’  great name.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Bee

« Reply #10 on: Jun 24, 2019, 06:11:48 PM »
When I were a lad, nobody ate skate or dogfish.  Haddock or cod was used in fish & chips.  I haven't bought fish & chips in ages.  The last time I did, it was from a mobile chippy on a campsite near Carlisle.  I was assured that they sold great food - but they were wrong - it was pretty awful.  I don't know if portions are getting smaller, but they do seem to be getting rather expensive.

However, this has reminded that I must buy some more Haddie and some Megrim or Witch. I'd prefer Brill, but it's not often available locally.

My mother always bought skate and cooked it for Good Friday dinner when we were kids......there was a fresh fish shop close to where we lived and the owner owned a fishing trawler and caught the fish himself for the shop.
The only way is up....

Traveller

« Reply #11 on: Jun 24, 2019, 08:22:23 PM »
I also remember how the lobster fishermen would give away any crab the caught because it had no commercial value.  It costs good money now and it's difficult to get whole crab. Too often it's sold as 'dressed crab', or the nippers are sold separately.
You'll have had your tea.

Bee

« Reply #12 on: Jun 24, 2019, 09:07:10 PM »
I also remember how the lobster fishermen would give away any crab the caught because it had no commercial value.  It costs good money now and it's difficult to get whole crab. Too often it's sold as 'dressed crab', or the nippers are sold separately.

Where I live there were several  fishing trawlers, my brother when aged about 14 would get up 3-4 in the morning and go out with one of the fisherman trawling for lobsters and they were sold in the local fresh fish shop, as regards crabs they sold them either dressed or undressed, my mother prefered to buy them undressed and dress them herself.

A few weeks back when I was down on the quay there was a boxful of crabs ready to be delivered.
The only way is up....

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: Jun 24, 2019, 09:11:32 PM »
Michael Rolls.. I live in Reigate which is close to Leatherhead.
 I wonder if the chippy is still a chippy.. !
  ‘ Chish and  Fips’  great name.
trying to remember exactly where it was without success. It was a little outside the centre, but that is all that comes to mind. Must be nearly 50 years ago
Mike

little bob

« Reply #14 on: Jun 25, 2019, 07:14:53 PM »
We go to Southport every 2 weeks and have chips,fish,peas +coffee/tea bread and butter £16 for the 2 of us not a bad price -saves all that cooking at home.