Author Topic: colour blind,  (Read 328 times)

Alfred

colour blind,
« on: Jun 24, 2019, 09:35:41 AM »
Although many people including myself have in past years paid a visit to the optician, and ended up paying for a new pair of glasses. although i have had my cataract's done ten years ago i still need to have reading glasses,

how ever many years ago when i was called up to do my national service it was whilst i was being medically examined , by the army i learned that i was colour blind , and i thought if this is the case perhaps i wouldn't be needed ……………….oh yes i was and like many others served  my two years ,

so i wonder today when a person has an eye sight test does this include say a colour blind test or is that optional.

Q; are you colour blind, and if so has it caused you any concerns or if like me i forget at times that i am,.

Sheila

Re: colour blind,
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2019, 04:25:37 PM »
Our grandson is colour blind which apparently may affect his career choice when he is older.

I have lost my sense of smell, maybe as a result of taking three different antibiotics every day for 18 months.

Ashy

« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2019, 07:15:32 PM »
If the career choice required normal colour vision the chances are a prospective employer would have the applicant tested for colour vision.

GrannyMac

« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2019, 10:10:03 PM »
Colour blindness is much more likely to occur in males than females. 

I've worn distance vision glasses since my teens.  Although I've had varifocals for years, I read perfectly well without glasses. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2019, 06:48:29 AM »
Our grandson is colour blind which apparently may affect his career choice when he is older.

I have lost my sense of smell, maybe as a result of taking three different antibiotics every day for 18 months.

Train driver, pilot, electronics / electrical engineer, all dependant on the type & degree, spring to mind.

But if an employer has a choice between colour blind & non-colour blind it'll usually be the non-colour blind applicant who gets the job.

Lost sense of smell would probably be a plus for a toilet attendant.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Sheila

« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2019, 07:39:08 AM »

Lost sense of smell would probably be a plus for a toilet attendant.

If I ever become hard up I could start a new career.  Thanks for the pointer Phil.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2019, 08:06:25 AM »
RAF aircrew medical checked me for colour blindness - I was fine - but sadly failed me on other eyesight parameters
Mike  :'(
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Diasi

« Reply #7 on: Jun 25, 2019, 12:16:43 PM »
The new Jubilee tube line is now accepting colour blind drivers because there are no red / green signals as the trains are controlled automatically, including acceleration & braking.

I am tempted to contact TFL & ask why there's a need for any driver, never mind at £55,000 per year, on an automatic train.

£55,000 per year is a good wage for the drivers who have to learn that that red means stop & green means go, so I can't see any justification for paying it to a driver who doesn't have to learn such complexities.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

GrannyMac

« Reply #8 on: Jun 25, 2019, 12:45:33 PM »

Part of me sympathises Sheila, mine is very strong. Lovely in the garden, or when I'm folding clean washing. I love the smell of lavender, Pears soap, cut grass and so many more.  However, my stomach can be turned quite easily by some smells, especially unwashed bodies and clothes.  Yuk.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais