Author Topic: Beecham House..  (Read 662 times)

zoony

Beecham House..
« on: Jun 25, 2019, 02:24:04 AM »
  One of my guilty secrets is period dramas so I looked at the pre-airing blurb comparing it to Downton Abbey and thought it might be interesting. I won't say it wasn't but it was for all the wrong reasons. Liked the back story a lot despite the over-acting extras, the background was sumptuous until Indiana Sahib turned up.
  Poor script, poor direction and poor acting made for something that I wanted to be really good but which turned to be disappointing.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Diasi

Re: Beecham House..
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2019, 06:45:19 AM »
  One of my guilty secrets is period dramas

Every month was a period drama with my ex-wife.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

GrannyMac

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2019, 07:09:56 AM »
  One of my guilty secrets is period dramas so I looked at the pre-airing blurb comparing it to Downton Abbey and thought it might be interesting. I won't say it wasn't but it was for all the wrong reasons. Liked the back story a lot despite the over-acting extras, the background was sumptuous until Indiana Sahib turned up.
  Poor script, poor direction and poor acting made for something that I wanted to be really good but which turned to be disappointing.

I loved Downton, but for some reason this one didn't appeal. I did record it, but your comments have persuaded me not to bother.  I like dramas, and good police type series.  Line of Duty and Happy Valley, and Poldark.  There's a dearth at the mo zoony.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Bee

« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2019, 07:46:38 AM »
I used to like period dramas but went off them for some reason so didn't bother with Beecham House, just as well by the sound of it I have never watched Downton Abbey either.

I much prefer to watch a good police drama......Line of Duty.......being one of my favourites. :)
The only way is up....

Raven

« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2019, 11:23:59 AM »
I prefer the Crime Series too, and the ones about the Coroners......Like, Quincy, Body of Proof, and I love Bones..

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2019, 12:27:59 PM »

I loved Downton, but for some reason this one didn't appeal. I did record it, but your comments have persuaded me not to bother.  I like dramas, and good police type series.  Line of Duty and Happy Valley, and Poldark.  There's a dearth at the mo zoony.

Just my opinion,Mac. Might be as well to look at the first episode before you decide?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Alex22

« Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2019, 02:49:08 PM »
I've never watched Downton Abbey as I'm not into period dramas, but I did watch Beecham House and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It makes a change for me to watch something other than crime dramas.  :)

Cassandra

« Reply #7 on: Jun 25, 2019, 03:29:16 PM »
I find many modern many programmes almost impossible to understand. Many young actors in particular have indistinct diction, mumbling away. Increasingly the sound quality is also filled with background susurration and I refuse to have subtitles on in my own language.
My Little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Diasi

« Reply #8 on: Jun 25, 2019, 04:53:09 PM »
I refuse to have subtitles on in my own language.

Funny you you should say that, I sometimes have to rewind the odd bit of a programme & then replay it with subtitles to make out what was said, but I never have to do it with the news or documentaries.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

little bob

« Reply #9 on: Jun 25, 2019, 07:29:46 PM »
Never watched any of them-much prefer a good action/western film :)