Author Topic: People moaning better of people not giving anything to charity.  (Read 1380 times)

brian54

I know a few of these people who are moaned about because they do not put money in collection buckets. They do give a lot of money through Gift Aid to get the tax back. I can not see anything wrong with that.

Ashy

Re: People moaning better of people not giving anything to charity.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2019, 07:46:42 AM »
That is because there is nothing wrong with it. Except that it means the taxpayer is subsidising some of their lavish salaries.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2019, 08:03:28 AM »
Depends on the charities you support
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

brian54

« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2019, 08:30:02 AM »
I think health charities are ok and dog rescue charities. Homeless charities are not.

mick607

« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2019, 08:36:24 AM »
You really are obnoxious Brian.

GrannyMac

« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2019, 10:03:00 AM »
I think health charities are ok and dog rescue charities. Homeless charities are not.

Homeless charities, especially local ones, fill gaps where there is a lack of mental health provision.  There but for the grace etc... go so many of us.

Born into a decent family?  Have a reasonably safe childhood?  Never been in care?  Of average intellect, or above? Think yourself lucky, you are unlikely to find yourself on the street with nowhere to turn.

Brian, I'm not sure you do.  Think, that is.

Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

StephenM123

« Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2019, 11:42:11 AM »
These days I have become very selective as I feel a number of charities have let me or themselves down. Some are paying lavish salaries and providing company cars whilst volunteers work for nothing. When I was out of work I volunteered but it was three months after finding employment before I got my petrol expenses. Those that messed about paying them were all salaried and taking advantage!

It is much the same with these not-for-profit organisations that run care homes, etc. The directors of a chain near here get massive salaries and luxury cars. A Porsche was swapped out a few years ago after attracting to many comments. Those who clean, dress and feed the residents only get minimum wage. Taking in extra responsibilities is poorly rewarded so many do not want to! 50p per hour for doing medication is a sad joke and I am not laughing!

Raven

« Reply #7 on: Jun 25, 2019, 11:45:05 AM »
I don't put money in tins in the street anymore. If asked why not, I say I give plenty but not this way where it can be abused.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #8 on: Jun 25, 2019, 04:13:46 PM »

In the past between the both of us we had about 6 charities that we paid money to via Direct Debit.
We set ourselves a target of £100 a month in total.

Since then I took an active interest in all of these charities to find out where the donations ended up. Everyone had a total salary bill which was obscene.
The worst I found was that only 30% went towards what we contributed to. The rest, as has been said, went towards salaries and administration expenses.

Bobcat

« Reply #9 on: Jun 25, 2019, 04:38:21 PM »
I have been involved in many small local charities over the years, they were all run by volunteers and every penny donated went to the charity, so my motto is - if you want to give money, find a small local charity supporting something that is dear to your heart and donate to them.

mick607

« Reply #10 on: Jun 25, 2019, 04:46:11 PM »
I have been involved in many small local charities over the years, they were all run by volunteers and every penny donated went to the charity, so my motto is - if you want to give money, find a small local charity supporting something that is dear to your heart and donate to them.

Spot on. Exactly what we do..

GrannyMac

« Reply #11 on: Jun 25, 2019, 06:12:48 PM »

I do, but we also support the BHF.  Their research has helped people like my husband, his brother, and our wider families. Apart from our regular donations, I also volunteer in one of the shops.  I don't mind the professionals being paid well, a small local charity couldn't possibly have had the same level of success in that field.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

little bob

« Reply #12 on: Jun 25, 2019, 07:20:41 PM »
The only cash I give to are the RNIB and Lifeboat charities --both worthy causes.

brian54

« Reply #13 on: Jun 25, 2019, 08:08:27 PM »
A man kept on telling me Cancer Research UK is not worth supporting and he kept on saying people who get cancer are just weaklings.
Why has his attitude changed now his wife has cancer.

mick607

« Reply #14 on: Jun 25, 2019, 08:12:38 PM »
Have a guess.