Author Topic: Reliving the past  (Read 1618 times)

xetog

Reliving the past
« on: Jul 04, 2019, 03:24:30 PM »

Not one to sentimentalise when it comes to old memories, I was reminded the other day of the power recall can hold over us.  Over the weekend we visited Canterbury where 65 years ago I was a schoolboy.  Gloria had booked us in for a couple of nights at the Victoria hotel right at the top of London Road meaning a half-mile walk into the city which coincided with the route where my pal John and I would wend on our way home from school every week day.  Gloria and I have strolled this route many times before and I doubt if I have ever missed out on the opportunity to reminisce on any of those previous occasions.  I pointed out the old school allotment, the old school, the tuck shop, each time filling the narrative with fragrant memories of the special place each one held in my life. Reliving my time in short trousers, blazer and school cap.  Turning into St Dunstan’s Street we were confronted in the middle distance with the old city wall and the ancient edifice of the West Gate towers, a view which has greeted travellers and schoolboys alike to the city for hundreds of years including luminaries such as Chaucer and Dickens, and in the foreground the level crossing gates arresting the flow of traffic whilst a train passed through on its way down from London to the coast.

Abruptly I was thrown back to 1955 when confronted with the same view John and I would run the last few yards to the gates - then they were manually operated and made from huge oak beams – and clamber up to hang over the top anticipating the arrival of a huge locomotive, one of the Squadrons, or perhaps the Sir Winston Churchill of the Battle of Britain class if we were lucky.  Its arrival would be heralded by an earthquake - like sensation as the hundreds of tons of metal and coal came hurtling down the track hidden from us by an adjacent building only to burst upon our senses in a cacophony of screeching steel as the driver applied to brakes for Canterbury West station a short way to our left, steam hissing in clouds from the cylinders as reverse braking was applies and clouds of wonderfully choking smoke were unleashed upon us.  We would straddle the top bar of the gates, foolishly reaching out to brush the flashing silver wheels and polished green flanks of this mighty leviathan thundering inches from our fingertips.  Once more, I stood at the gates, a schoolboy engulfed in the anticipation of the approaching moment.

The moment came and from behind that same building slid a sleek, blue high-speed train, no earthquake, no thunder, no steam heat, no pungent smoke, almost no sound as it slid silently, unctuously towards platform 2.  The moment was shattered and dumped rudely back into 2019 I reflected on the wonderfully poignant experiences of my life that were no more.  How many more slumber in my memory awaiting, perhaps in vain to be triggered by some circumstance mirrored from the past? When I am gone people will look at pictures of these monsters, but nowhere will they find the true sensation of the beast in that moment and I have no way of recording it except in my words which can do no justice to the experience.
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

zoony

Re: Reliving the past
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2019, 03:45:15 PM »
Excellent anecdote, Mike. Thanks.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Scrumpy

« Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2019, 05:25:34 PM »
Wonderfully written..
It took me back to my days of standing on a wooden bridge waiting for the London train to pass under.. The steam from the train surrounding us. For one magical moment we all disappeared..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

xetog

« Reply #3 on: Jul 04, 2019, 05:58:21 PM »

Yet another memory Scrumpy.  At around the same time I had two other pals, another John and one called Chris.  They lived either side of the London - Dover line running through Canterbury East.  Their roads were joined by a footbridge with a timber floor and steel structure.  The sided were infilled to a height of about 6ft by steel mesh. It spanned the track adjacent to the signal box.  Whenever we could we would run onto the bridge and, pressing our faces to the mesh inhale the wonderful smell of locomotive smoke as they ran underneath us.  The aroma defies description but it had a quality of sticky tar with the sharpness of cordite with perhaps a hint of baked wood thrown in, the wonderful fragrance a la loco.  Whatever, we loved it, but eventually the drivers got wise to us and just as they were passing underneath would blow a jet of steam into the stack which would dislodge all the gritty, sticky bits just before they got to the bridge and we would be engulfed in a cloud of grimy soot particles that smelled abominable and left us looking like street urchins.  We would catch it from our mothers when we got home because although it would come off us with a bath and a scrub, the mess was the devils job to get off our clothes.  I am though left with an enduring love of steam locomotives to this day.

Mike.X

Scrumpy

« Reply #4 on: Jul 04, 2019, 06:13:10 PM »

Your memory could be mine..
The gates closing.. Just a couple of motors , the coal lorry and the last of the horse drawn milk cart waiting..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

xetog

« Reply #5 on: Jul 04, 2019, 06:42:38 PM »

Are we simply echo's of our past?

Mike.X

Michael Rolls

« Reply #6 on: Jul 04, 2019, 06:51:46 PM »
Mike x
I love your description of the smoke - ever thought of becoming a wine critic?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Ode Iron

« Reply #7 on: Jul 21, 2019, 08:45:24 PM »
I think a lot about the past..because the now is miserable and the future looks bleak..it was'nt all beer and skittles..and lots had it harder than me - but some better an' all.
Memories include: ouside toilet with hurricane lamp, paraffin heaters, Tik Tak firelighters, Capstan Full Strength, vesta beef curry, polishing chrome bumpers and mirrors, the tin bath with a brick under one end,
Shelling peas, Dickie Davis, Mackeson, Budgie with Adam Faith..my late Mam was great for recalling things...like the Pawnshop window..full of homemade meat & potato pies!
Folks bringing bowls of faggots and gravy into the pictures, Deserters hiding out..some dressed as women,she sat up hours making rag rugs...anyone recall them?
It was a lot safer and less complicated..but housing and wages were poor..never get the balance right do we?
Time for me Ovaltine xx
Masks are muzzles

firenze

« Reply #8 on: Jul 21, 2019, 10:06:59 PM »
You all recall a memory for me by your recollections...I lived and went to school in York way back and the London to Edinborough express came by near to where I lived. 
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

GrannyMac

« Reply #9 on: Jul 22, 2019, 07:38:55 AM »
Great descriptions xetog, thank you.  I believe we are partly the sum of our memories, some good, some not so good.  The emotions that can be released when revisiting one's younger days can be powerful.

When I go back to Dundee, going over the river, whether by road or rail bridge evokes a feeling of home. I've spent over 2/3 of my life away from the city, but childhood memories are strong and precious. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Scrumpy

« Reply #10 on: Jul 22, 2019, 10:30:56 AM »

My home town always has a special place in my memories.. It always will..

Raven

« Reply #11 on: Jul 22, 2019, 01:19:19 PM »

My home town always has a special place in my memories.. It always will..

Same here, my early years spent out on the Hebrides have very happy memories for me. Not so much after we moved to the Mainland, I hated the town, the traffic, the people, I was so used to wide open spaces, sandy bays and the quiet. I'm so glad to be able to spend so much of the year up north in a place that reminds me of my true home..

zoony

« Reply #12 on: Jul 22, 2019, 02:53:07 PM »
My home town, as has already been mentioned, was and is something of a [censored] so I stay out of it. I was born in a suburb.. Mind you, it's vastly improved compared to what I left at 15. The country round about is another matter. One way Derbyshire, another to Yorkshire and surrounded by rural Cheshire..It's not all grim up North.  ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #13 on: Jul 22, 2019, 06:21:26 PM »
We live on the west side of Sheffield, the Peak district/Derbyshire is on our doorstep.  We discovered some fairly unspoilt parts of Cheshire when our son moved there.  There are so many beautiful spots across the UK.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Michael Rolls

« Reply #14 on: Jul 22, 2019, 07:45:48 PM »
How does one define one's home town? I was born in Plymouth, but we left there when I was about 2 years old (just as well, the street was flattened by the Luftwaffe a few years later.) Most of my formative years - age 10 to 28 were in Hampton, Middlesex, but it isn't really a town, just a dormitory suburb. Until we moved up here in 2003 I had always lived in urban areas, where the view was limited to across the road or, if you were lucky, the next street. By comparison here is idyllic - on the edge of 3 miles of farmland with sight of the Sidlaws one way, the Grampians and the Cairngorms in the far distance in the other
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!