Author Topic: in the past going to the barbers for a haircut,  (Read 925 times)

Alfred

in the past going to the barbers for a haircut,
« on: Jul 09, 2019, 08:49:23 AM »
Back in the past where i grew up which was then close to three docks . the albert victoria and the king George the fifth , now long gone but in those days barbers shops were busy particularly on a Friday night,

where a number of dockers having been paid a weeks money, would sit patiently waiting their turn for a hair cut , a shave and even a singe,

which was a very thin taper candle which when lighted would be used to burn the edges of the hair after cutting , simply to seal the hair a practice no longer used ,.

in those days men with a good growth on their chins would have a hot towel placed around their face the hot towel would soften up the hairs on the chin , then came the strop a leather belt which the barber would sharpen a cut throat razor on ,

then came the lathering a hand bowl with a brush and soap , once the towel came off on went the brush as the barber lathered away until the mans face almost disappeared under the soap,

then the barber  would start shaving the beard with the cut throat razor, and some times the barber would do the hair cut first other times it was after the shave i presume the barber got fed up with the same routine, and varied it ,

after the hair cut , shave and even a shampoo the customer was brushed down with a hand brush and then the barber asked would you like something for the week end ( meaning a condom) 

i was fifteen at that time  and the barbers shop was full, and for a laugh the barber would ask me the same question, would i like something for the week end , of course the dockers burst into fits of laughter , but i would  squirm at the question,

how ever barbers were good at their job, i never saw any man cut by the cut throat razor,  where as todays barbers many young men simply ask do you want a number one or two meaning  the size of the cutting blade which left the hair shorter or longer , and that's it , nothing like the service the old fashioned barbers gave all those years ago,

Q; for the men on the forum do you remember those days , if so will you share your memories with us,

ronyork

Re: in the past going to the barbers for a haircut,
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2019, 08:54:42 AM »
Remember my father saying that as a boy a  part time job at the age of twelve was a lather boy at a local hairdresser in Tottenham would have been around 1906/8.

StephenM123

« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2019, 11:42:24 AM »
My father had a friend come around to cut our hair - he was pretty useless producing a pudding basin with errors effect. Was he happy when he moved. One year we went in holiday to Yarmouth and my father decided we needed hair cuts. He went first and his hair was singed! I have never seen this before and was terrified if it was used on me my thicker locks would go up in flames! I didn't get that treatment!

I have used the same hairdresser for thirty years. We have some be ones around here but they all seem to do mushroom cuts - No. 1 or 2 on the sides, mop on top (if hair presen), and beard trim or stubble! I am staying away!

Scrumpy

« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2019, 12:14:39 PM »

Thank you for a good read Albert..
I had visions of an American mobster sitting in the barbers chair.. hot towel around his face..looking, for all the world, to be asleep ..Holding a loaded gun under under his protection bib..  My favourite sort of film.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2019, 02:27:25 PM »
I hate having my hair cut - don't know why, just do. Whilst Veronica was alive I used to go and have it cut in the nearby small town - I always felt it had been cut too short, Veronica thought that it hadn't been cut short enough! Now I am on my own I just take a razor comb to it every few days - I can't really see much of the result, so I'm not really bother - and I save myself a whole £7 every three weeks or so!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2019, 02:50:20 PM »
 I was also a child of the pudding-bowl era. At least until I started school and then it was the booster seat...which was a piece of wood laid across the arms of the chair.. I dislike my hair short and am fortunate in having a barber who knows that and gives a trim that doesn't look as if I've just had it cut.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

sparky

« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2019, 03:26:27 PM »
Not been to a barber for years, hated having to sit there waiting my turn, I bought a pair of electric clippers at least  20 years ago,  that are still going strong, my son and I cut each others hair as  and when, I  must have saved a fortune.,,,,,,,,,,,,Oh gawd I sound just like Brian

mick607

« Reply #7 on: Jul 09, 2019, 03:52:01 PM »
Not been to a barber for years, hated having to sit there waiting my turn, I bought a pair of electric clippers at least  20 years ago,  that are still going strong, my son and I cut each others hair as  and when, I  must have saved a fortune.,,,,,,,,,,,,Oh gawd I sound just like Brian
Include me too then Sparky, my wife trims what bit of hair I have left with electric clippers I bought from Argos for £8 a few years ago, saved me a fortune !

Dayjo

« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2019, 08:07:00 PM »
1968.... My then girlfriend, took one look at my fresh, 4/9d haircut. "I could do better than, that!".  ::)

She still cuts my hair...  :D
David, Christine, + Mia...... NE Derbyshire.

Life happens, when you connect with people.
Not, constantly working to be better, or to have more......

mick607

« Reply #9 on: Jul 09, 2019, 08:33:26 PM »
The going rate around here for a cut is ahout £8 & a new barber shop opened recently ran by a Turkish fella & he charges a tenner ! People around here won't pay that price !Has anyone noticed how many Turkish barber shops are springing up everywhere ?
Another good reason for Brexit.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2019, 06:58:59 AM »
My late brother lived in Braintree, Essex. The last time I visited him, just over two years ago, he said that there were (IIRC) seven Turkish barbers in the town (53.500 population). Is there anything specific about a Turkish barber (other than the guy's nationality)?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Johned

« Reply #11 on: Jul 11, 2019, 02:47:03 PM »
I have nought against folk of Turkish origin or any other ethnic background providing they are decent and law abiding.  The local Turkish owned chippy I patronise provides excellent quality fish and chips and the lovely proprietor invariably grants me a handsome discount!  A fortnight ago I had my hair cut at a newly opened Turkish barbers and on alighting from the chair to pay for the service, the nicely mannered young chap asked me "Sir, may I venture are you over 65?"  Declaring that I was 20 years over that figure, he informed me then the price would be £10 and not £14 as advertised for adults.  Nothing to complain of.  Mind you it seems a little over the top when I think back to 1955.  Whilst in the army at that time, we had a Major posted in from an attachment to the Canadian army.  He asked us where we got our haircuts, he was paying four shillings in Canada.  We were incredulous at that far off time and said we would never pay more than a bob!  But that was then and this is now!

mick607

« Reply #12 on: Jul 11, 2019, 07:01:34 PM »
£14 for a haircut ? Every barber shop I ever used always  did a OAP discount, nothing new here.